Areala Asks: Crystal Pepsi (20160826)

Areala

Crystal Pepsi!!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Crystal Pepsi is back! When are you going to drink one?

• "Right Now!"
    • I'm not...but I see what you did there.
    • Never, thank you very much.
    • Crystal WHAT?

• Retromags Curator

Crystal Pepsi is back, a Clinton is running for president, Boys II Men is on tour...what year is it again? :)

So, the question is simple: now that Crystal Pepsi has returned, when do you plan to drink one? Vote in the poll, expound upon your answer in the comments, and be excellent unto each other (at least until next week, when this topic closes for good). :)

*huggles*
Areala

I don't drink soda/cola/pop/whatever they call it where you live (not in over a decade, anyway), but I'm surprised at all the fervor about this stuff I see on the forums here.  I could have sworn this stuff was poorly received back in the day, but I guess I'm remembering incorrectly.  Let me ask then, it this stuff is so much better than regular colas, why did they stop making it?

Speaking of the 90s though, just yesterday I read the graphic novel by Judd Winnick, Pedro and Me, about his friendship with Pedro Zamora on MTV's The Real World Season 3, San Francisco.  I remember that season so well (ah, Puck, you asshole...) even though I don't think I ever watched the show after that season.  Later this year is season 32.  Holy crap I'm old...(??? although the show started in '92...the math doesn't really add up,so I guess they must have had multiple seasons some years...)

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Season numbering with "The Real World" got weird after 2002, when they started doing multiple shows per year, or having seasons that ran at the end of one year and the start of another (so Season 12 ran 2002-2003, Season 13 was 2003, Season 14 was 2004, Season 15 was 2004-2005, etc...). There were 2 seasoned aired in some years as well (2009, 2011, and 2016) in addition to the year-crossing seasons, so this is how a show that has been running for 24 years gets to 32 total seasons. :)

"Pedro and Me" is awesome, and Judd Winnick is an exceptionally good storyteller (I recommend both his newspaper comic "Frumpy the Clown" and his comic book series "Barry Ween, Boy Genius"). Was this your first read-through of 'Pedro'? :)

Also, I live in Indiana, so it's "pop" here. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

Yeah, I think I've read almost everything Winnick ever wrote except "Pedro and Me" for some reason.  I've got so many comics (and with only 24 hours in a day, most of them will remain unread, to be honest) that I just forget about stuff sometimes.  The other day I just gave the mouse wheel a few wild scrolls through one of my comics directories to see where the cursor would land, and it fell on this one. Serendipity.

kitsunebi77, seriously man, you need to catch that magic moment.  Like, right here.  Right now.  What are you waiting for?  Crystal Pepsi means everything.

Yes, I have partaken.  About 1.5 bottles in, I was past the long forgotten, horrific aftertaste and it's been smooth sailing since.  ;)

It's enlightened me.  Right now.

I also watched Real World Season 3 back in the day.  It was my last foray into reality TV, largely.

Judd Winnick's DC material is recommended.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I drank one the first day they were available in Canada, which was in July. Yes, it was horrible when it was released in 1992/3, but this version is really, really delicious. I have had several bottles thus far and plan on drinking it as long as it's available. It's probably my favourite soft drink now.

• Like 2

i've had at least a six pack of the stuff, with another 4-5 bottles in the fridge right now. i am already saddened that it will be leaving the market (again) in a couple weeks. better stock up. i don't think i can go another 23 years.

• Like 1

If only it had been made with sugar, as opposed to HFCS, I'd totally be on board for this radical soda. As is... meh. I don't care for how Pepsi tastes, as it leaves my teeth feeling... gross. Almost like a film is on them or something. Throwback Pepsi, I don't have that issue, and the flavor is nice to boot.

Throwback Crystal Pepsi? Bring it on.