Do you remember your first computer?

vice350z

Always had consoles as a kid and never had a computer until i was 22  years old in 1995.

Apple Performa 6200CD

75 MHz PowerPC 603 processor, 8 MB of RAM, a 1.0 GB hard drive and a 4X CD-ROM drive in a compact desktop case. This model also shipped with a 15" Apple color monitor and an external 14.4k modem.

I think it cost about $1200 back then at Sears. Oh the memories. Then moved to PC in about 1998 I believe.

Having a computer also meant finally getting on that thing called "the internet"..lol. Bored one day I wondered if there was any naughty things on the internet to see. Typed in free xxx pics and it was downhill from there lol. The days of waiting for interlaced JPEG photos to load from top to bottom and 30 second videos taking 10 minutes to download and a resolution of 320x240 or whatever it was.

A 286 PC with 5 1/4 floppy disk drive, 20 meg hard drive and 1200 baud external modem.  I don't recall the other specs - I may have never known them, actually, as it was an old PC gifted to me by my Uncle - but connecting to the local BBS after upgrading to an internal 2400 modem was ANSI menu bliss.

My dad bought the children a Coleco Adam in 1984 or so.  I remember the noise of the impact printer resonating through the house.  It took 1 minute a page to print.  It also had a tape drive and the Colecovision could plug in and expand the graphics capability.

Pretty much a paper weight.

I remember seeing those as a kid in a store called Caldor in NJ. My buddy had a C64 but I could never figure out how that cassette tape drive worked. At least I think it used a cassette. I only saw his computer once during our friendship. Otherwise we played Atari 2600.

• Like 1

Commodore Vic 20.

Blazing fast 1.02 MHz processing.

A whopping 5 KB of RAM.

And Gorf - my favorite game for years.  Closely followed by the Vic 20 Donkey Kong.

A 286 PC with 5 1/4 floppy disk drive, 20 meg hard drive and 1200 baud external modem.  I don't recall the other specs - I may have never known them, actually, as it was an old PC gifted to me by my Uncle - but connecting to the local BBS after upgrading to an internal 2400 modem was ANSI menu bliss.

so cray to read the specs of computers from a time not really THAT long ago. When bored its always fun to look through old Radio Shack catalogues online.

• Like 1

I still have my first computer, in the basement. I need to get a case for it and resurrect it. Original specs: AMD K6-2 300, 32MB RAM, 3.2GB Fujitsu HDD, USB 1.1, XT keyboard port, mix of ISA and PCI slots, cheap CDROM drive that died with two hours of use. As I don't have documentation for the board, this may prove to be a motherfather to do, though.

Yes, I didn't get my first computer until I was like 20.

• Retromags Curator

so cray to read the specs of computers from a time not really THAT long ago. When bored its always fun to look through old Radio Shack catalogues online.

Speaking of Radio Shack, my first computer was a Tandy Color Computer. 16k of RAM, Extended Color Basic, and cassette-based interface. We didn't get a disk drive for it until around 3 years later, then a friend of the family upgraded it to 64k so we could use the word processor and play games like Zork and Pitfall II. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I think my family's first PC was a Packard Bell of some variety, but I can't really remember that one.  I DO remember our second computer, which was an IBM PS/1 (I'll never forget that slanty front bezel and flip down disk drive shield).  It was the 33MHz 486 version and I have fond memories of playing games like Elfland, Gizmos and Gadgets, and TIE Fighter on it.  Also some not so fond memories of the DOS version of Mega Man.

• 2 weeks later...