Fifteen Hardest Genesis/Mega Drive Games

Areala

• Retromags Curator

My brother strikes again:

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2016/09/07/fifteen-most-difficult-genesis-games/

If you're OK with his off-brand humour and the occasional naughty word, have yourself a read and a laugh at his descriptions of these 16-bit monstrosities from the Sega world. Those of you who enjoyed his take on difficult NES games, this is more of the same. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

Very good read. I have just a few of those games, and that's Chakan and Streets of Rage 3. Man Chakan is one tough game. I find it harder than SoR3.

I told him that if Chakan wasn't on his list, I'd set his hair on fire the next time I saw him. Surprise, surprise, what made the list? ;)

*huggles*

Areala

Well, I for one was a little disappointed in the article right from the very first game, Gaiares.  Not only does he fail to credit the gloriously mulleted professional gamer

Jaime Bunker by name (so disrespectful of a gaming legend), he goes so far as to imply that Mr. Bunker's involvement in the advertising campaign for the game is something to be laughed at.  Shameful.

Gaiares (1)

Gaiares (2)

Then, not but one sentence later, he makes a joke about how the pronunciation of the game is a mystery, adding further insult to injury to Mr. Bunker by proving that your brother was unfamilar with his entire oeuvre of frame-worthy advertising pieces.  Can he not see that the Great Jaime Bunker has forseen others' inferior intelligence/reading skills and has magnanimously provided us all with a pronunciation guide printed right on his T-Shirt?:

Gaiares (3)

Sigh.  Well, I'll give your brother the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't notice the T-Shirt because he was too transfixed by the power and magnificence of Mr. Bunker's mullet. Aren't we all.

Aren't we all...

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Hell, I knew about the ads with the shirt that tells you how to pronounce it and I still laughed, because growing up nobody had any idea how to pronounce it. The kids at our school called it "Gee-air-ee-us" even though there's literally no way to get that from any reading of the title, but that's what happens when you throw a word like that at 12-year olds and don't explain. :)

For that matter, "Gay-ares" is a legit way to pronounce that word based on some rules of the English language. Not to cast homophobic slurs at the god of War, of course, just being pedantic. :)

*huggles*
Areala

i am pretty convinced that most Sega Genesis games are unbeatable. Exceptions include the Sonic games, of course, and a handful of others. But there's a lot of tough ones out there.

i remember the day i brought home Comix Zone. i was SO excited, based on the comic book presentation, the way you traveled from panel to panel, everything.

and then i played the game. i thought, "man this is pretty tough. i need to practice." so i played it some more. and then a bit more. and then my thoughts were more like "man f- this game. i'm gonna play Sonic & Knuckles"

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

Ok it was on the list. I would question SOR 3, Gaires, and Ghouls and Ghosts inclusion. But the rest is pretty solid.

He knows his hard Genesis games.

I should hope so. He did something like a month's worth of research, since he originally asked for my input all the way back in July. :)

That's the best part about a list though. Everyone's is different, there are some a reader won't agree with and complaints about why Game X was missing, but when it comes down to it, there should be at least half the list that everyone can agree, "Hell yeah, THAT belongs on there!" :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Adventures of Batman & Robin was one of the few games on the Genesis I could never beat when I was younger.  That game was frustrating.  And Streets of Rage 3.  I played that game on Hard so I could get the good ending.  I could never get past the Stage 2 boss.  Drove me nuts.  I think that's why I love Streets or Rage 2 so much lol