New Release: Game Buyer Issue 1 (July 1998)

Sean697

This is this first of 4 issues of Game Buyer. Ultra Game Players became Game Buyer briefly before shutting down for good. Of course Ultra Game Players was the revised itteration of Game Players. From their it gets a little murky. But Game Players was made from the consolidation of Game Player's Nintendo Guide and Sega Guide. Which itself was an offshoot of the original Game Player's. So this issue is the beggining of the end of a long legacy of a classic game magazine.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing. I was a huge Game Players fan, and it's no surprise Game Buyer lasted only four issues -- it was horrible.

Marktrade scanned a ton of my Game Players and Ultra Game Players a few months ago, hopefully they'll be on Retromags soon!

I actually kind of like it. It has a nice visual presentation. With a good mix of game art and screenshots, comic book style. With fairly wordy reviews.

• Like 1

I agree. As a reader of Game Players and subscriber to UGP, I knew it was all over after the very first issue of Game Buyer.

Definitely. I read through every issue of Game Players, Ultra Game Players, and Game Buyer a couple years ago, and the transition from UGP to GB was somewhat jarring; they felt like completely different magazines to me, which I assume was the point of the rebranding. Regardless, thanks a lot for donating the magazine and thanks Sean697 for scanning and editing it. I hope to see every issue from the Game Players universe on Retromags soon enough!

• Like 1

first issue? sweet! no i never bought this so must download it

Pretty sure no one bought it - that's why it was canceled after four issues. :lol:

Most of us only owned issues of Game Buyer because we had been subscribed to Game Players, and when that got canceled, we were sent issues of Game Buyer instead.  I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone in saying we weren't pleased with the change, nor were we surprised or disappointed when Game Buyer was quickly put out to pasture.

Which doesn't mean we aren't very grateful to Sean687 for making this available.  Even gaming mags' ugly stepchildren deserve to have their places in history preserved.

• Like 1

Until 1 year ago, I had never even heard of this magazine. Never saw it not once. I notice it was by Imagine. I do really like the visual layout a lot. I'll stand buy that seeing it the first time. The two issues I've scanned both have interesting presentation. The review system is interesting as a curiosity, but I agree it seems kind of pointless. I think some of those predicted interest graphs are totally made up. I see some of them just exactly repeated. I guess it tries to make it look anylitical or something, but they did also use a star system and a recommendation on whether to buy rent or avoid,

• Like 1