Requesting Game Informer Scans for Academic Research Project

jslebach

Hello, RetroMags

I know this is a total long shot, but here goes.

I am collecting data for a research project and I need your help. For this project, I will be analyzing Game Informer reviews between the years 1991 and 2016. I visited the Library of Congress and collected many of the issues already but am missing a substantial number. I have looked into buying them used on eBay, but it would get rather pricey very quickly.

Would anyone be willing to scan the front cover as well as the reviews section for the following issues? Alternatively, if you own any of these issues and would be willing to sell them that can be arranged as well. If you have any questions at all please let me know. I am happy to provide compensation for these scans.

I will update this post if I no longer require any of the issues listed below. Also, if you have a suggestion as to how I can obtain these, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Issues needed:

• 1991 March June September
  • 1992 March June September
  • 2002 September December
  • 2003 September December
  • 2007 June
  • 2008 September December
  • 2011 March June September December
  • 2012 March June September December
  • 2013 March June September December
  • 2014 June
  • 2015 March
  • 2016 June December
  • Like 1

I'm doing a research project on Penthouse and Playboy. Could someone scan the covers and all the "pictorial" pages?  :P

Seriously though their website has a reviews section with game reviews going back to 2005 and if you own an iPad you can grab complete issues back to 2012 for reasonable prices. Unfortunately, I think those "in stock" issues are print magazines. I don't believe they have digital issues otherwise they wouldn't have gaps in their offerings or would be offering them within the iPad app. It's a shame they are so vocal about sites like our scanning them (a quick C&D arrives if we do) as I have a pile of them I'd like to scan but I can't be bothered as only I could read them.

• Like 1

I've gotta assume the research involves trying to prove or disprove the worthlessness of Game Informer's reviews.  Seeing as how it's published by a major video game retailer whose main interest is in making ALL games appealing to their customers, it's pretty much the least respected (albeit widely circulated) magazine out there so far as reviews are concerned.  But for "research" purposes, it shouldn't matter whether the mags are digital or print, so again, I'd recommend buying them straight from Game Informer themselves.

Game Informer sells most of their issues on their website (which is why scans are not allowed here).  Dunno what they charge (you have to email them for details), but like I said, almost everything is listed as "in stock."

Correct. I bought a bunch from them in 2014. They cost $5 an issue at the time.

http://www.gameinformer.com/mag/covers.aspx

It's my last physical mag now that PTOM and NP went away. However it was my least favorite. There was too much PC and XB crap it seemed.

There should be digital versions as they give you the choice when signing up for another year of their program. Odd thing is subscribers 'should' have access to both. I get the print one because it's good to get away from the screen once in a while but I'd feel better knowing these could go in the recycling because they're backed up online if I need to check something. I'm not going to pay for both.