Retromags Naming Convention

Phillyman

6 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

So how do we distinguish between bi-months and bi-weekly?

Biweekly (or in the case of Famitsu, weekly) mags are one of the reasons periods are better than dashes.

Jan/Feb 1988 = (1988.01-02)  The dash takes on a meaning of January through February)

Jan. 2, 1988 = (1988.01.02)

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
2 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Biweekly (or in the case of Famitsu, weekly) mags are one of the reasons periods are better than dashes.

Jan/Feb 1988 = (1988.01-02)  The dash takes on a meaning of January through February)

Jan. 2, 1988 = (1988.01.02)

Sounds fine to me, as long as we have a standard. Since this is officially called the OGM method, we should have Kiwi weigh in :P

This is just a standard for filenames in the download section, right?

I'm generally against cross-title standardization on the site (i.e. the DB) since different mags use different naming conventions, but if it's necessary for the download section, no big deal.  I rename everything I download to suit my own tastes regardless.

• Retromags Curator
28 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

This is just a standard for filenames in the download section, right?

I'm generally against cross-title standardization on the site (i.e. the DB) since different mags use different naming conventions, but if it's necessary for the download section, no big deal.  I rename everything I download to suit my own tastes regardless.

This is just for filenames, we are not changing the titles of the database or download manager. Since we can't always control the name of an uploaded file, I have a rename tool that members will be able to download and run it against any files from this site. It will then rename and/or organize them if you ask it to....or it will just tell you what you are missing or if a file has been replaced.

1 minute ago, Phillyman said:

Since we can't always control the name of an uploaded file, I have a rename tool that members will be able to download and run it against any files from this site. It will then rename and/or organize them if you ask it to....or it will just tell you what you are missing.

The irony isn't lost on me as I sit in my super-cluttered room typing this, but as someone who keeps the contents of their...uh...7...external HDDs in meticulous order, I have little pity for those who can't keep their own filenames sorted correctly.  Don't know what you're missing?  Can't even locate what you already have?  Well whose fault is that? 

Let them reap what they sow.  Bwahahaha.

You're a kinder person than me.:)

• Haha 1

• Retromags Curator
Just now, kitsunebi77 said:

The irony isn't lost on me as I sit in my super-cluttered room typing this, but as someone who keeps the contents of their...uh...7...external HDDs in meticulous order, I have little pity for those who can't keep their own filenames sorted correctly.  Don't know what you're missing?  Can't even locate what you already have?  Well whose fault is that? 

Let them reap what they sow.  Bwahahaha.

You're a kinder person than me.:)

I have over 25 hard drives, some have not been plugged in for years. The organization of each hard drive is like a digital version of hoarders, I have gifs from when I ran an AngelFire website.....probably from when I had a Geocities website as well. One of them probably still has AOL 4.0 installed on it along with the original Quake. Usually these drives get around 50 levels deep before I move to another drive.

THIS is why I got a QNAP for this project, finally I have somewhere to dump everything related to this site. I bought another QNAP for my wifes photos and videos, and a Third QNAP as a small file server. Oh and then just today I grabbed four 8TB drives at Bestbuy to put in a RAID configuration on my desktop :P

Anyhow, just like Rom collectors have GoodTools and Tosec......and movie collectors have renaming tools.....I shall step forward and release a magazine renamer/organizer :)

Yeah, thank god I've never run a website before.  I already have so little room.  Definitely don't want 25 HDDs lying around. 

All 7 of mine are in use at the moment, and I haven't owned a desktop PC in 10 years, so they're all externals hooked to one of my laptops.  I suppose if I were to be a rational person and back them up (yeah, I live on the edge), I'd need an additional 4 8TB drives, giving me 11 total.  Which I don't think I could sufficiently power, so some of them would have to be retired.

Yeah...that, and renaming files.  First world problems if ever there were any.:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

So now that I have....

• Downloaded our entire collection
  • Run a MD5 Checksum on all the files
  • Dumped those MD5s back into the DLM
  • Dumped those MD5s back into the MagDB

Now I come back to this topic of naming conventions. I want to hammer all this out and also included into this will be the renaming with volume/issue. So @kitsunebi77 do you have a list of publications where you want to see us move to vX,iX. Preferably starting with area's that we have scanned items and then into places where nothing is scanned.