Looking for an old PC multi-pack, Wizard 101 or something like that...

te72

Hello all, I'm wondering if any of you might know what I'm thinking of here. When my parents first got their first PC, sometime in oh... 1993, I think it was, it came with a sampler pack called Wizard 101 Games or something along those lines.

What I remember of it:

-3d Realms had quite a few on it

-Moraff's World, and a couple other Moraff's games

-DOS based CD-ROM

-Hugo's Adventure (and I believe its sequel)

-Some racing themed card game

-Some variant of Breakout

-Some variant of Scorched Earth (Dueling Cannons, perhaps?)

Anybody here remember what I'm talking about? I spent the better part of a couple hours last night, looking for that, and found next to nothing. Figure this is likely to be the best source of knowledge on this sort of thing...

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

There were thousands of these released in the mid-to-late 90's, but to help narrow down your search...

- 3D Realms didn't exist until 1995, when Apogee Software released Terminal Velocity under that brand. If you remember a lot of games by 3D Realms, then either your parents got their computer later than you remember, or they were games like Commander Keen and Raptor: Call of the Shadows which were Apogee shareware titles. If the CD you had didn't have shareware for either Terminal Velocity or Duke Nukem 3D, you can safely assume there are no 3D Realms games on the disc and that should help narrow down the year even further. :)

- TextFiles.com has an absolutely enormous list of these on their site right over here. If you've got some time to kill, you might browse and see if you find anything that rings a bell. You can also download files individually off a given archive, but there doesn't seem to be any way to easily grab the entire disc.

- Fortunately, Archive.org has a ton of these available for browsing and download (herehere, here, here, here, here, etc...). Definitely worth taking a look, since even if you don't find the exact one you remember, you may find a number of the games you wanted on other compilation discs. :)

If I come up with anything else, I'll do my best to help. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 1

The 101 part rings a bell. According to the third 'here' link above - https://archive.org/details/cdbbsarchive?sort=titleSorter, halfway down the page, you might be looking for something called 101 Only the Best Games. They were packed with shareware. I couldn't say which disc in particular you're looking for. I should have 3 of those around here, got them at a show way back when.

• Like 1

Quite certain that this was from 1993, POSSIBLY 1994. I know it was in the house my folks had built in 1993, but we had this computer before moving to Arizona in 1995. Apogee was the company here, not 3d Realms. Commander Keen was among the games on it, as was Duke Nukem (and possibly DN2?), the old 2d side scrolling shooters. Quite certain that Doom hadn't been released yet either.

Looked through all those links (thank you both, by the way), but nothing seemed familiar. Reached out to my brother and sister, it is possible, although unlikely, that my family still has that CD, somewhere...I thought that maybe I had snagged it at some point, but not sure where I would have put it. If I had, it's probably with my Worms 2 disc, wherever that is.

There were many discs like that so it won't be an easy search. The link above only shows the disc, do you know what that looked like or would you be more likely to recognize the cover?

Here's a more direct link. https://archive.org/details/cdrom-101onlythebestgames4

Let it scroll through the images to see the cover. Remember this is volume 4 so while it might not be the exact disc it means you need to find one of the others. The one exception is it doesn't fit your dates. I'm almost certain this is where I tried Keen and the Scorched clone might have been called Tank Wars?

• Like 1

The disc itself had a wizard drawing on it. Nothing super fancy, more cartoonish, if I recall correctly. Tank wars is WAY more advanced than the game I played, which only took wind into account. I believe it used a green and black background, and would leave a trail of dots to show you how your shot went. You would enter angle and power inputs, fire, then hone in on your target as needed. Simple, but fun for the time.

I might have come across something similar, which I'll try to explore this weekend:

http://cd.textfiles.com/vgaspectrum/games/

I think this might have been it... possibly. If I could see a menu or something along those lines, it would help. Also have my sister checking with the parents to see if they still have our case of old pc games. We're both skeptical, but hey... never know. :)

VGA Spectrum was one that included a lot of the games I played as a kid, but it was indeed something else that I was searching for:

http://cd.textfiles.com/wizardwarem/MEGAMIX/

Wizardware. This little jewel introduced me to PC gaming, before Doom came out. Lot of the games were fun, but I found myself drawn to the adventure and puzzle games the most. Now that I think about it, not much has changed, but still. Ever play Moraff's World? This game is why I never got into any of the Bethesda adventure games. I know myself all too well, and if I dove into a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, nobody would hear from me for MONTHS.

I'm being serious.

So, yeah, found what I was looking for, thank you for the help, Areala and DPS! :)

Gonna go back to playing more Moraff's World now...

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

VGA Spectrum was one that included a lot of the games I played as a kid, but it was indeed something else that I was searching for:

http://cd.textfiles.com/wizardwarem/MEGAMIX/

Wizardware. This little jewel introduced me to PC gaming, before Doom came out. Lot of the games were fun, but I found myself drawn to the adventure and puzzle games the most. Now that I think about it, not much has changed, but still. Ever play Moraff's World? This game is why I never got into any of the Bethesda adventure games. I know myself all too well, and if I dove into a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, nobody would hear from me for MONTHS.

I'm being serious.

So, yeah, found what I was looking for, thank you for the help, Areala and DPS! :)

Gonna go back to playing more Moraff's World now...

Hooray!! So glad you were able to find what you were looking for! :)

*huggles*

Areala

It's tough guessing a product with little information to go on. Especially when we're all familiar with different shareware discs.

I thought the game sounded familiar but it doesn't look like something I've played.

For sure, I know it was a needle in a haystack quest I was on. Fortunately there's more needles around here, figuratively speaking.

I would say give it a shot, but beyond the nostalgia, it probably doesn't hold up well. Didn't keep me from playing all day yesterday though. :P

Hooray!! So glad you were able to find what you were looking for! :)

*huggles*

Areala

That makes two of us. Oddly enough, it wasn't the game list that gave it away as 100% confirmed what I was looking for. It was the menu, of all things. Just a plain menu with a few colors and squares in a few different places. Yet it all came back and I knew that this was the one I had been looking for.

• 6 years later...

Hey there, I am looking for like an ISO of this disc because this disc also has a lot of sentimental value to me and this is the only post on the internet I can find on the entire internet about it. How does one download the entire disc instead of one file at a time from cdtextfiles?