EGMs #100 to #198 - I have them and am willing to part with any of them

Sivilius

I currently have almost all the issues of Electronic Gaming Monthly from Issue #100 (November 1997) to Issue #198 (December 2005). The only 2 issues I am missing are Issue #120 (July 1999) and Issue #124 (Nov. 1999). All are in Good to Excellent condition due to them sitting on my shelves unused for several years.

I noticed several of these EGMs are currently on the Most Wanted List and wanted to know if that was indeed still the case. Also checking if you wanted any other issues for future scanning.

I also have a near-mint copy of the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Player's Guide that I would be willing to part with since my GC is now departed.

Shipping is not an issue except for cost, since I'm currently a bit broke. But I can figure something out.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Player's Guide

I'll let the guys who scan EGM weigh in on this, but:

All issues of EGM that are currently allowed to be scanned (everything up through the end of 2001) are already in the hands of our scanners.  It's possible that they might need some of the issues from 2002 onward, but keep in mind that they couldn't be scanned anytime soon.

Although then again, it's looking like EGM may finally be completely dead and gone, so that might mean we get to bump up the wait time from 15 years to 10?

I currently have everything that is able to be preserved. But if someone else want them to scan sooner. That will be fine. (I'm going to scan the purée 100 stuff first.)

But I'd take the issue 100 to scan if it's in good condition. Especially if you have the poster that came with it and any of the inserts. If your willing I'd pay shipping on that if the condition is good,

I currently have everything that is able to be preserved. But if someone else want them to scan sooner. That will be fine. (I'm going to scan the purée 100 stuff first.)

But I'd take the issue 100 to scan if it's in good condition. (I have not squired issue 100 yet, was waiting to get a good copy, our sites copy needs a rescan.) Especially if you have the poster that came with it and any of the inserts. If your willing I'd pay shipping on that if the condition is good,

But I'd take the issue 100 to scan if it's in good condition. Especially if you have the poster that came with it and any of the inserts. If your willing I'd pay shipping on that if the condition is good,

I'm holding #100 right now as I type this. The condition is very good and it still has the Sushi-X Files No.08 insert in it (in flawless shape too!). The cover has a couple slight dents in it, but nothing that should prevent a good scan.

However the poster, which I do remember it having, is indeed missing. I do admit over the years that I removed many of the inserts, posters, bingo cards, etc. from the EGMs over the years, since I often considered them superfluous when I was younger.

For now let's wait and you can see if you can get a better copy of #100 w/poster. Don't worry though, the EGMs aren't going anywhere for now and I no intention of throwing them out. 

• Retromags Curator

I am pretty sure that I probably own all of those, but one of the biggest things that slows me down is the prep work before I can even scan a magazine. If you have these issues, you could cut my prep work by 50%. Before I scan a magazine I flip thru the entire magazine and write down descriptions of pages without a page number. If I could just cut and scan, I could plow thru these faster. If a page gets misfed, I could always just ask you what page the Castelvania advertisement was.

That step of the scanning process never made much sense to me.  I guess if you use an ADF it might be necessary since you aren't paying attention to the scanning process, but in my experience, using the ADF is more trouble than it's worth.  I hand feed page by page and it only takes about 30 minutes to scan a 200 page mag.  It would be a little faster, but I've got to check the results from time to time for scan lines and periodically clean the glass.  Doing it this way avoids wasting time writing stuff down and also ensures that every page has been scanned properly and the scanned files are in order.  Prep work is debinding.  Beyond that I don't have a need.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I use an ADF and i do no prep work apart from debinding. If a page gets missed, I will find out when I use Bulk Rename Utility to rename the files to match the page numbers. If something is off, I go through and see where the file numbers don't match the page numbers and find the missing page.  I rarely need t to do this, and I don't spend a ton of time making notes. Plus my ADF doesn't scan both sides at once, so i have to run the pages through twice.

I debind, scan then compile the mag into a PDF, check that the pages match then throw the mag in the recycling bin. No keeping mags around here. I'm trying to reduce the weight on my house foundations, not shift the piles around.

If the mag has gate-fold pages I scan the double pages as a single page so that I can keep them displayed as the three page format in the PDF but it does require additional work. Pain in the ass they are .....

• Retromags Curator

I guess our processes different :P

After picking a magazine.....

1) I first see if the front cover is page 1 or not, sometimes the cover doesn't count either side as a page number

2) I then see what the last page would be numberwise

3) Next I look for any foldouts, posters or weird pages, see if they are counted as page numbers and adjust the final number expected

4) Then I look for any pages without numbers on either side, write a small description for those

5) As I am flipping thru, I take note of any dog ears, and fold them back out or stuck together pages

6) I then scan the front and back covers on my flatbed scanner

7) I then remove the binding with a box cutter

8) I feed the pages 20 at a time thru my ADF

• Retromags Curator

I was wondering why you had to use a renaming utility until I came to this sentence.  I realize it works for you, but it would drive me nuts having all of my scanned pages be out-of-order initially. 

It's not so bad. I scan to a USB stick, then plug it into my computer. I rename the files on the USB stick before moving them to their folder on my computer. The first page is always an odd number, so I use the utility to rename them in intervals of two. Then I check to make sure the last file has the same number as the last page. If it does, nothing was skipped and I can move on.

I used to reorder the pages by hand before putting them through again, but that was tedious and sometimes I would make a mistake. Now I just flip the stack over and scan the last page first. Then I rename them by giving the first scan the last page number, and going down by intervals of two.

Using the renaming utility ensures that I check that every page scanned before I start editing.

My ADF specs say it can do 50 pages at a time, but that's regular paper. Because some of these magazines use really thin paper, I can often put the whole issue in if it's an issue that is 160 pages or under.

I just rename during the editing process. My scanner generates a number and I scan in order. Where nessesary I stop and name stuff right away if it doesn't fit into the magazine page order. After editing a page I rename it to the proper name and use the scanner number as the page number. I don't have to type it out every time as when I rename I click on page 1 and it imports the name, then I just change the page number. Also the benefit is it racks where I'm at on editing. Any page that stil has the scanner number has not been edited. Properly named pages are complete.

I'm back! Sorry for taking so long to respond but with long work hours, family time, tons of sleep and bad allergies my online time has been almost nil.

Sean697: I will send out #100 to you, but I don't know exactly when since I'm pretty swamped right now. It might be a couple of weeks at least. We can work out the details sometime next week.

Phillyman: OK, but you're going to have to be more specific about exactly what you want. Are you saying you want me to be your backup guy in case you screw up the prep work for the scanning & editing process?

Puddinpops: I don't have time right now sorry. However I will keep it in the back of my mind and if I have a couple free hours I will definitely take a look since it's a curious case. 

BTW interesting conversation on the different scanning styles you all have.

• Retromags Curator

Phillyman: OK, but you're going to have to be more specific about exactly what you want. Are you saying you want me to be your backup guy in case you screw up the prep work for the scanning & editing process?

Yup, if I can just cut and scan that would be awesome. I would just hit you up with an occasional question if a page gets out of order

• 4 years later...

I'm going to mega-bump my own thread to ask a question and maybe make an offer? This is mostly directed at E-Day...

What about the state of EGM scans from 2001 to 2005? I'm still sitting on a lot of EGMs from Issue 100 (Nov 1997) to Issue 198 (Dec 2005).

As you can see I had offered them before, but changed my mind thinking I would regret giving them up. However due to a impending move and a possible lack of storage space I may re-consider my stance.

So I am curious about what you have scanned in your release queue and more importantly what EGMs are still missing from 1998-2005 that you don't already have.

1 hour ago, MigJmz said:

if e-day dont want 'em I'll  scan them at some point. Are they in good condition?

Yes, they all are. Unlike my GameFan collection which I bought mostly secondhand, all of my EGMs were from my own subscription and sat neatly on shelves or in boxes for their entire lives.

They do not have bingo cards in them, but otherwise should have when available the sub-only Q-Mann/Sushi-X files.

Other than the bingo cards and the missing EGM #100 poster, they are as close to perfect condition as can reasonably be achieved.