Anybody here not play games? (stupid question?)

Seriously though.  I'm curious.  I played a bit of The Witcher during my summer break (got about halfway through maybe, and haven't touched it since then), but that's the only game I've played this year.  

In case that wasn't clear: in the year of 2016, I've visited this site nearly every day and have uploaded 20 magazine scans and over 4,000 cover pics and advertisements.  But during that same time period, I only played one game for a couple of hours per day over a two week period or so.

So what I want to know is, is anyone else out there only here for nostalgia, or am I the only one?  Does anyone else like reading about games more than actually playing them?

• Like 1

I've considered myself a retired gamer for at least 10 years. Video games used to be my life but since about 2005 the only gaming I really do is to occassionally replay my old favorites. Don't really have any interest in new games or even old games I haven't played before. The only once-in-a-blue-moon exception is when a remake of one of my old favorites appears, or an old franchise I followed is revived. That sometimes gets my interest for a short time.

I do enjoy reading about old games though, particularly how they developed and evolved, and I also collect classic video game artwork and soundtracks.

I've considered myself a retired gamer for at least 10 years. Video games used to be my life but since about 2005 the only gaming I really do is to occassionally replay my old favorites.

That's interestingly enough the same time I quit gaming.  I've played some PC games and some older stuff using emulators since then (very occasionally), but I literally have not touched a console since 2005 despite gaming on practically a daily basis prior to that.  Certainly the Xbox360 and later the Wii and PS3 failed to capture my attention, but I'm not really placing the blame on that generation of consoles.  It was mainly due to other changes I made in my life at the time that put me on the track to being where I am today.  I just didn't have a moment to spare for games for such a long time, that by the time I had some free time again, I'd simply lost interest.  On the rare occasion when I do play a game, it never holds my interest long enough to finish it, no matter how good it is.

• Retromags Curator

Not to say that I'm going to stop playing games, but I will admit that none of the current-gen consoles (or the forthcoming Nintendo Switch) interest me in the slightest. Pretty sure the PS3 is my final home console...

...which is fine, because I already have enough in my backlog to entertain me for decades without adding more. :)

*huggles*
Areala

my gaming is certainly not what it was when i was a kid, but i still get my time in. i'm making it a point (started in january '16) to put a higher focus on gaming. hoping to clear out the backlog a bit and knock out a couple of games that i've owned forever but never given a proper chance to.

Man. Just man. I'll readily admit to not nearly having enough times for games. And being very interested in Retro games.

That said I have a framemeister. Multiple Everdirives. I'm actively playing a Wii U game. I play my 3DS at work. I just got PlayStation VR. (It's amazing), and preordered a PS4 pro. I'll also surely get a Nintendo Switch. So yes I do play games.

While I'm ok with not playing games as much as I like, I don't ever want to quit playing games completely and devote myself to being some kind of archivist or live in the past. (Not saying I don't enjoy the past.)

Well, technically, I play more video games than I did as a kid.  Looking back, I played only on weekends (Sat and Sun), since I had school and a job.  Summer time was different though.  My time off from school allowed me 5-6 days of gaming a week.  :-)  These days, I spend about 5 days a week (3 hours a day) playing video games.  However, 90% of my gaming sessions are co-operative with my online buddy, while back in the day, I mostly did single player games.  

My increase in gaming today has a lot to do with my full retirement from working.  I sound like an old geezer, but really I turn 40 in a week or so.   :P

While I'm ok with not playing games as much as I like, I don't ever want to quit playing games completely and devote myself to being some kind of archivist or live in the past. (Not saying I don't enjoy the past.)

It's not so much living in the past as having moved on from it.  I don't just play retro games, I don't play any games.  It isn't that they're inherently unappealing to me, quite the contrary.  I think I'm interested in games and would play more of them if I had time, but every time I actually do play something, it just doesn't hold my attention the way games used to.  It would be like if bacon suddenly stopped being so goddamn delicious and was merely OK.  I could remember how good it used to be and would probably continue to eat it from time to time, but it would be kind of depressing since eating it would always remind me of what I had lost.

As for spending too much time being an archivist, believe me, I often ask myself what the hell I'm doing spending so much time here.  Ironically, if I really wanted to find time to play games, the solution would be as simple as ending my membership to RM. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I find that I don't play as much anymore and I have a PS plus subscription.  So far I've also played witcher, but I actually completed it.  It took a while of on and off gaming.  May be about 4 months to complete it.  Right now I'm currently playing Grim Fandango.  It's ok, but same thing.  On and off gaming.

I find that I don't play as much anymore and I have a PS plus subscription.  So far I've also played witcher, but I actually completed it.  It took a while of on and off gaming.  May be about 4 months to complete it.  Right now I'm currently playing Grim Fandango.  It's ok, but same thing.  On and off gaming.

I get like this a lot. I'll play a game or several games for an extended period of time and then for some reason it won't hold my interest anymore and I take a break for a bit before coming back and starting the cycle over.