What were your go to games when Arcades were king?

vice350z

6 hours ago, Areala said:

Personal anecdote, but I've seen "Ghosts 'n Goblins" cabinets in FAR more places where alcohol was served than in regular arcades. If this was deliberate strategy on Capcom's part, commend their genius. :)

*huggles*
Areala

I can barely play that game sober... wonder if anyone ever beat it in such an establishment?

On the note of arcade games in bars, has anyone seen a DDR machine in a bar? I've seen a couple karaoke setups, but never a DDR machine. One can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue. :P

1 hour ago, te72 said:

On the note of arcade games in bars, has anyone seen a DDR machine in a bar? I've seen a couple karaoke setups, but never a DDR machine. One can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue. :P

I'm not sure the bar staff would find the inevitable vomiting nearly as hilarious.  Drinking and exercise don't mix.

Well aware of that inevitability. Would have to make the machine spill and vomit proof, that would probably be a deal breaker. Oooh! It could be used as an intoxication level test! If you're found to be playing the game, clearly, you've had one too many.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, AlidarJarok said:

Final Fight is the only arcade game I ever beat. Man I miss those days.

You make an interesting point here. How many arcade games have any of us beat? I think I might have quartered my way through Turtles in Time and The Simpsons, possibly SF2.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/14/2017 at 1:00 PM, te72 said:

You make an interesting point here. How many arcade games have any of us beat? I think I might have quartered my way through Turtles in Time and The Simpsons, possibly SF2.

I have only beat Final Fight and Battletoads at the arcade.  I have beat many in mame but that dose not really count lol.

1 hour ago, AlidarJarok said:

I have only beat Final Fight and Battletoads at the arcade.  I have beat many in mame but that dose not really count lol.

Was Battletoads anywhere near as hard as the NES version?

I'd consider beating them in MAME as legitimate. You can always dump as many quarters as you want into an arcade machine... not that much different.

37 minutes ago, te72 said:

I'd consider beating them in MAME as legitimate. You can always dump as many quarters as you want into an arcade machine... not that much different.

I disagree.  We couldn't dump as many quarters into an arcade machine as we wanted.  Most of us were poor kids spending our allowance.  Which is why the question "how many of us actually finished an arcade game?" isn't really a question about how skilled we were, but more a question of how many of us ever dropped that much coin to get the job done.

No one beat an arcade game on a quarter or two unless they'd already mastered it by spending untold quarters in the past.  There simply was no way to finish those things without spending a fair chunk of change.  Playing in Mame is, as you say, similar to playing the real thing albeit with unlimited funds, but unlimited funds was something few of us had, so that's the main challenge that kept us from finishing them in the arcades.

I see what you mean. Back then, I was in the same boat, five bucks would make my day in an arcade, I really had to learn how to stretch those quarters as much as possible.

What I was trying to say referred to the modern time, in that some of us are fortunate enough to have expendable income, and could, in theory at least, dump quarter after quarter into a machine until we beat it. You make a fair point though, in that it was usually about determination and attrition back then, as well as a pile of allowance money, rather than outright skill. I don't know if I ever beat an arcade game, apart from possibly SF2, due to skill.

Yeah, my Grandmother would give me a couple of dollars to go up the road to the Fish & Chip shop as takeaways were called back then when the only thing you could buy were fish and chips. I think I got 10c change which was enough for one game of the Taito Space Invaders arcade machine in the shop. I got pretty good at getting through the levels, so much so that Gran would complain that the chips were cold when I got back home.

When I was working at the ASB Bank later, I could go almost the whole lunch hour on Jackal (Top Gunner in the USA) on one, maybe two 20c pieces with a mate from the lending department I worked in. Good times ....