Spirited Away

Data

It has been 15 years since this Hayao Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli released the award winning anime Spirited Away.  13 years since English Dub.

This movie is being screened again on December 4th and 5th 2016 in United States.  On the 4th it will be English dialogue and on the 5th it will be in Japanese with english subtitles.

The movie is about a young girl who is upset that her family is moving.  While traveling, the family mysteriously takes a wrong path and comes upon a deserted bath house.  The family finds all this delicious food and pigs out on it.  Disgusted, the girl goes off and winds up in an alternate reality where she meets friends and tries to find her way back.

A great imagination in this film as well as interesting characters.

Anyone watch Studio Ghibli?

42Ismzs.jpg

• Like 1

Ghibli makes hands-down the best animation in Japan.  Most anime is very cheaply produced with relatively few frames of animation per second when compared to western cartoons, but Ghibli films are beautifully animated. That said, despite liking their films, I've never been able to love any of them.  Very imaginative, that's true, but something about them usually just leaves me a bit cold (though admittedly I've only seen about half of them.).

• Like 2

Ghibli makes hands-down the best animation in Japan.  Most anime is very cheaply produced with relatively few frames of animation per second when compared to western cartoons, but Ghibli films are beautifully animated. That said, despite liking their films, I've never been able to love any of them.  Very imaginative, that's true, but something about them usually just leaves me a bit cold (though admittedly I've only seen about half of them.).

I kind of agree, the only one movie of theirs that I love is spirited away and I have it as one of my all time favs. Of course got the bluray.

Never watch with dubs.

• Like 1

Never watch with dubs.

With just about any other anime I would agree, but the Disney dubs are actually pretty good for the most part.  Plus it allows the films to be enjoyed by young children, which is as it should be. 

I remember watching Totoro with my (at the time) 5-yr-old niece and my mother at the same time.  My mother kept asking for explanations for the various whimsical things that were going on, while the 5-yr-old simply took it all in, no questions asked.  It's something I've noticed about a lot of Ghibli's more fantastical films (like Spirited Away) - adults want to analyze them and find the deeper metaphors within, while the kids just instinctively "get it."

• Like 2

regrettably, i have only seen one Ghibli film. it was great, but i haven't had the desire to go watch more of their stuff. it is always on the low end of my 'must watch' list. one of these days i should really raise it up the list.

• Like 1

I only know english so reading subtitles becomes an impediment but I have learned that some of the best movies don't speak a word of english.

Grave of the Fireflies is a story of a brother who struggles to survive with his sister and no home and no parents during world war 2.

This one was dubbed in english.

Also Porco Rosso was another good one about an old pilot who flies in Italy during world war 1. 

• Like 1

I only know english so reading subtitles becomes an impediment but I have learned that some of the best movies don't speak a word of english.

Grave of the Fireflies is a story of a brother who struggles to survive with his sister and no home and no parents during world war 2.

Also Porco Rosso was another good one about an old pilot who flies in Italy during world war 1. 

I love that movie, I remember renting that one day just to see how good it is, was just browsing for something different and ended up being one of the few times i picked something for the hell of it and ended up being great.

You know what? Pardon my French, but F that movie. Until then I had only seen one other film that just made you feel like crap and leave you depressed.

Not saying it's a bad movie by any means, but wow... complete lack of feel goods. :P

Quick edit, forgot what the subject of the thread was haha! I've enjoyed all the Miyazaki films I've seen so far, but it's a short list. Top of my head I know I've seen Spirited Away, Kiki, and Mononoke. You know what I would like to, but unfortunately never will see? A collaboration between Miyazaki and Kurosawa. Any guesses as to what creative samurai drama we might end up with there?

You know what? Pardon my French, but F that movie. Until then I had only seen one other film that just made you feel like crap and leave you depressed.

Not saying it's a bad movie by any means, but wow... complete lack of feel goods. :P

Quick edit, forgot what the subject of the thread was haha! I've enjoyed all the Miyazaki films I've seen so far, but it's a short list. Top of my head I know I've seen Spirited Away, Kiki, and Mononoke. You know what I would like to, but unfortunately never will see? A collaboration between Miyazaki and Kurosawa. Any guesses as to what creative samurai drama we might end up with there?

Porco Rosso aka The Red Pig is not a sad movie.  If you like flying ace movies combined with a love story then this may be a hit considering the stylistic approach, this may or may not be your thing.

The Grave of the Fireflies is a critically acclaimed tragic movie which was released as a double feature in 1988 with my Neighbor Tortoro. 

At first the movie was assumed to be for happy go lucky children but instead were left saddened and depressed.

The movie has gone on to become a classic story which will stand the test of time.

So here's an interesting fact you guys might not realize.

You remember the little tin of hard candies the girl has in Grave of the Fireflies? (Good lord, if you've seen the movie, how could you not?)

They actually sell this in Japan (I see it in grocery stores and family restaurants):

81MmmbId-2L._SY355_.jpg

HOW MORBID IS THAT???

"Oh boy!  It's got ALL the flavors!  Grape, strawberry, lemon, souls of dead children, orange..."

• Like 1

LOL.  Is there a history to those candies?

Can you buy those at the Aji-ichi or the Tomato Store?

If you're asking if the candies existed before the movie, I don't know.  It seems like a pretty depressing thing to market to kids though, especially given the candy tin's role in the film.

Never heard of the stores you mentioned, but is that a pic from Shenmue?

If you're asking if the candies existed before the movie, I don't know.  It seems like a pretty depressing thing to market to kids though, especially given the candy tin's role in the film.

Never heard of the stores you mentioned, but is that a pic from Shenmue?

It does seem insensitive to sell a product like this but they did seem like tasty candies.

Yes that is the convenience store in Sakuragaoka and here is a picture from Dobuita.  I figured the Tomato Mart might sell the item you are talking about.  

O4lLc8q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All I remember from Grave is feeling empty inside after watching it, because my heart had been ripped out. All the while watching this film, thinking that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel for these poor kids, just trying to survive, and (spoiler alert), no such light comes. Just more sadness.

Wasn't a good movie for me to watch when I saw it, as I was already depressed at the time.

Speaking of hopeful / sad movies, anyone else see "Voices from a Distant Star"? That movie summed up a relationship I had with a very close friend of mine in high school, after she went off to college, and we continually grew further and further apart.