opinions on stereoscopic 3d?

orthicviper

If you like it, give your thoughts or if you don't have much to say just simply say that you do like it so i can see how many of you care about it. I'm also interested in those of you who dislike it. I know a lot of people hate it because it doesn't work well for them with the effectiveness being low or getting headaches, but are there people who can experience a real sense of depth with it and get no headaches and STILL dislike it? I'd really like to know that.

As for me I love it and it greatly contributes to my enjoyment of games and I will pay extra money to game that way or see 3d movies. The vast majority of 3d movies are terrible but when they actually film with a 3d camera set up then the effect is vastly better and awesome. 

I always say I hate 3D films, but while it's true that I avoid them at all costs, I honestly have little experience watching them.  The last film I saw in 3D was Avatar, and that was only because I had no other choice at the time.  I suppose the technology has probably improved since then, but at the time I found it nothing but a distraction that interfered with my enjoyment of the film.  Dunno if that makes me a film purist or something, but there it is.  I'd have no problem watching a 3D short film where the entire purpose of its existence was to show off 3D effects, for example, but if the purpose of the film is to tell a story (as is pretty much the case in all films), then I find 3D is a detriment to that purpose.

3D television are no longer being made.  2016 was the final year.  This is good because it adds cost and detracts from the already complicated selection of televisions.

I would be happy to have a 60" OLED High Dynamic Range 2160P with input lag at 25ms no more than 36ms.

I am willing to bet anyone who watches on this set would never even miss 3D and I am one of them.

3D should remain in the theater where it would be a more enjoyable experience and a reason for a couch potato to get out of the house and sit in theater seats instead. :)

As Sean697 said, the best way to to experience 3D is with VR right now. It's pretty amazing. If you love 3D then you should pick up PSVR or a Vive.

This sounds like an expensive toy right now but if you have a Playstation 4 already it would be the least expensive way to try it out.

Oculus has better games and the Vive has the better technology.  Oculus is releasing their own controllers like the Vive has in 2017 but overall this seams like an expensive toy at around $800.00 plus the PC.

I enjoy it but don't find it amazing or worth the extra money. I have it at home as well and it works great but seldom will I bother putting it on and if I do I tend to enjoy shorter experiences. I did find it added to the hobbit movie with the 48fps, while avatar was so bad not even if I was there in person would it be enjoyable. Some movies are worth the 3D for when it is a gimmick and that is what you want/expect. I would only bother with it at home if you get it anyway as in the tv you want just happen to have it as was the case for me getting the last Panny plasma.

Until or unless 3D without glasses becomes a reality on mainstream sets I doubt it will ever catch on and if you gonna wear stuff and hook things up then VR will be more likely since it is also far greater.

But in the end I think both 3D and VR will keep failing at least for the foreseeable future. They both got old fast for me and most family and friends of mine don't seem to care either after the initial hype for either experiences, VR especially becomes a chore and an ordeal you just can't be bothered in the end, so many wires so much setting up and time needed.

• Retromags Curator

I'm one of those people who's always had problems with prolonged viewing of 3D images. It may be in part due to the fact I wear glasses, so fitting an extra set of polarized specs over my ordinary frames is probably not how the movie should be viewed. That said, I also have a 3DS, but I play the games in 2D mode because otherwise I get a headache after about fifteen minutes.

I like the idea of 3D and VR fine, I just don't think I'm built to experience it for long periods of time. :)

*huggles*
Areala

3D should remain in the theater where it would be a more enjoyable experience and a reason for a couch potato to get out of the house and sit in theater seats instead. :)

As Sean697 said, the best way to to experience 3D is with VR right now. It's pretty amazing. If you love 3D then you should pick up PSVR or a Vive.

You don't like 3D unless it is on a VR headset and then you think it is amazing. I really find that very interesting. If you like it in VR it would only make sense to me that you could still enjoy it a lot without VR. Now I have to wonder if all the 3D haters out there would find disabling stereoscopic 3d within VR to cause much negation of their enjoyment of the VR experience.

Until or unless 3D without glasses becomes a reality on mainstream sets I doubt it will ever catch on and if you gonna wear stuff and hook things up then VR will be more likely since it is also far greater.

I think you are right. It doesn't cease to amaze me how much people complain about needing glasses to use 3D yet don't mind putting contacts/headphones/sunglasses on and getting nasal piercings and all the other things they do.

I'm one of those people who's always had problems with prolonged viewing of 3D images. It may be in part due to the fact I wear glasses, so fitting an extra set of polarized specs over my ordinary frames is probably not how the movie should be viewed. That said, I also have a 3DS, but I play the games in 2D mode because otherwise I get a headache after about fifteen minutes.

I like the idea of 3D and VR fine, I just don't think I'm built to experience it for long periods of time. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Maybe if you were to endure it long enough you could adapt to it eventually but I really don't know. It is something I would try if I had the same problem you do.

You don't like 3D unless it is on a VR headset and then you think it is amazing. I really find that very interesting. If you like it in VR it would only make sense to me that you could still enjoy it a lot without VR. Now I have to wonder if all the 3D haters out there would find disabling stereoscopic 3d within VR to cause much negation of their enjoyment of the VR experience.

I think you are right. It doesn't cease to amaze me how much people complain about needing glasses to use 3D yet don't mind putting contacts/headphones/sunglasses on and getting nasal piercings and all the other things they do.

Maybe if you were to endure it long enough you could adapt to it eventually but I really don't know. It is something I would try if I had the same problem you do.

I said I don't like 3d in my television.  It raises the cost and detracts from more important features imo.

I never even tried VR since 1991.

Cotroling my VR headset with computer programs and games is more interesting to me.

People need glasses to read and drive.  I like to wear headphones when I'm walking.  When I want to watch television I don't want to worry about putting 3D glasses on.

Trying to bully people into wearing you're 3D glasses is laughable at best. :lol:

• Retromags Curator

It's possible, but I've watched multiple films in 3D, both at the theatre and at home on a friend's 3D television (Avengers, Tron: Legacy, Jurassic Park, Star Trek Into Darkness, Godzilla, etc...). Every time, it's ended with me getting a headache before the end of the movie. I've pushed through them and finished the movies because I was enjoying them, but if it's happened the half-dozen times then I assume I'm just one of the unlucky people who has trouble with the format. It's hardly the end of the world. :)

*huggles*

Areala

was going to post a picture of those old red/blue paper 3d glasses, but stumbled on this image instead:

SegaScope-3-D-Glasses-3.jpg

didn't even know something like this existed. i can't even begin to imagine how terribly they work or what games it works with.

was going to post a picture of those old red/blue paper 3d glasses, but stumbled on this image instead:

didn't even know something like this existed. i can't even begin to imagine how terribly they work or what games it works with.

At least it looks like Sega was trying to make some real 3D glasses (although I agree they were probably terrible.)

Did anyone ever try to play Rad Racer or 3D World Runner with the red/blue paper glasses they came with?

I may not be a fan of 3D movies, but I think there are some incredible possibilities for 3D gaming.  The problem right now is, to make a truly innovative 3D game, I feel it has to be designed from the ground up as 3D-only, but a lot of developers don't want to lose the business of all of the customers who either don't own the necessary equipment or else can't or don't appreciate 3D effects.  Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of 3D titles to play both now and in the immediate future - but I feel like the user-base for VR units will have to get larger before the bigger developers pour a ton of cash into making 3D-only triple-A titles.

• Like 1

The Sega 3D glasses were actually quite amazing. I had them. They used the same active 3D tech Sony used on their tV's. I've read you can actually use gen with 3D TV if you sync them properly. I enjoyed them.
  • Like 2

It's possible, but I've watched multiple films in 3D, both at the theatre and at home on a friend's 3D television (Avengers, Tron: Legacy, Jurassic Park, Star Trek Into Darkness, Godzilla, etc...). Every time, it's ended with me getting a headache before the end of the movie. I've pushed through them and finished the movies because I was enjoying them, but if it's happened the half-dozen times then I assume I'm just one of the unlucky people who has trouble with the format. It's hardly the end of the world. :)

*huggles*

Areala

You should try PSVR if you ever get a chance. Can be used quite comfortably with glasses. As the eyepiece does not rest on your nose or eyes and is adjustable.

• Retromags Curator

Those things actually worked very, very well. They weren't polarized or the type with red/blue lenses, they synced up with the Master System to close one lens off on alternating frames of animation so your brain combined them into a 3D image. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_shutter_3D_system

That's how they worked. Absolutely wild. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

Did anyone ever try to play Rad Racer or 3D World Runner with the red/blue paper glasses they came with?

yes, on both fronts. it was absolutely not for me. gave me a worse headache than 3d movies do.  and i really enjoy 3d World Runner regularly, so it's not like i couldn't figure out the game.

*huggles*

Areala

Same issue here. The idea of added depth could even pull you into a game further. Imagine an FPS with true depth of view. Or something like Gran Turismo, where you could teach drivers actual good driving habits, such as looking ahead, rather than just ahead... Add a nice full motion cockpit (not cheap, something currently used only in racing simulation by professionals and wealthy enthusiasts), I would probably never really care to own fancy cars in real life. :P

Fairly certain I played Rad Racer with the 3D effect (protip: press select) turned on. Don't really have any specific memories though, good or bad.

You should try PSVR if you ever get a chance. Can be used quite comfortably with glasses. As the eyepiece does not rest on your nose or eyes and is adjustable.

THANK YOU! Was recently wondering if this was the case... I love the idea, but currently have some debt to pay off and a Supra to continue refining before I spend any more money on gaming hardware. This is just the endorsement I was hoping for, thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

If the market is divided between 3 hardware manufacturers, users will be intimidated by making the wrong choice of which one to buy.

Especially when the price is so high and the games all suck.  

If you own Star Wars Battlefront for Playstation 4 you can download the "X-wing VR Mission".  I heard it's the best part of the game. :)