i hope the nintendo nx is a total failure

because that means nintendo will be forced to release their games for the PC! A total winning situation for me...Then I wont need to buy extra controllers to play with anyone since I already have some for my PC. Though being nintendo they might try to make a new type of controller required to play their games on a PC

Now, am I the only one that thinks nintendo's best strategy would have been to give up their 'blue ocean' strategy of luring in casuals, and instead made a console more powerful than the ps4 pro and marketed their system as a hardcore gamer system?

because that means nintendo will be forced to release their games for the PC! A total winning situation for me...Then I wont need to buy extra controllers to play with anyone since I already have some for my PC. Though being nintendo they might try to make a new type of controller required to play their games on a PC

Now, am I the only one that thinks nintendo's best strategy would have been to give up their 'blue ocean' strategy of luring in casuals, and instead made a console more powerful than the ps4 pro and marketed their system as a hardcore gamer system?

It won't completely and utterly fail.  This is because youth as well as some adults will always enjoy Nintendo's brand of family friendly games.

To get perspective on the graphics capability of the switch, imagine the power of the wii u which was a 900 P while the PS4 and Xbox One where mostly 1080P

The Switch upgraded the graphics chips so they are the equivalent of the Wii U but it all fits in a nice little handset.

Kinda like how Advance was a SNES and Gameboy was an NES

It would be interesting if it supports homebrew?

am I the only one that thinks nintendo's best strategy would have been to give up their 'blue ocean' strategy of luring in casuals, and instead made a console more powerful than the ps4 pro and marketed their system as a hardcore gamer system?

i don't mean to pick on you here, but what is the deal with "gamers" being obsessed with which system is the most powerful? The XBOne and the PS4 have nearly identical specs, yet all i heard about for the last couple years was "yeah but xbox does THIS" and "yeah but PS does THAT". They are VERY similar systems as far as power goes. the only thing that really matters when deciding which system you want is

1. which system do my friends have? and

2. which system has the exclusives that i want to play?

Anything else is ridiculous.

Nintendo would NOT benefit from joining into the PS vs XBox debate. in that market, they are a distant third. Nintendo's goal is to make unique and fun games, and finding new ways to achieve that. Not everything is a win, but remember that people hated on the Wii remotes when they first came out, but both Sony and Microsoft followed suit (with PS Move and XBox Kinect). and the Wii is one of the best selling systems of all time.

Why would they want to fight with two other hardware makers over the same games and same developers? i agree that they need more 3rd party support, but to give up innovation and instead enter a hardware race really would leave them worse off than they are now.

because that means nintendo will be forced to release their games for the PC! A total winning situation for me...Then I wont need to buy extra controllers to play with anyone since I already have some for my PC. Though being nintendo they might try to make a new type of controller required to play their games on a PC.

There's an enormous flaw in this logic: Nintendo has and always will cater to the Japanese market first, even if there's more money to be made elsewhere, and quite frankly, the PC is not a viable gaming platform in Japan.  Outside of a few imported foreign titles, pretty much the only PC games you'll find in Japan these days are either adults-only or visual novels (which aren't even really games in my opinion).  Nintendo one day going handheld/mobile-only?  Sure, not out of the realm of possibility.  But developing for the PC?  That's pretty far-fetched in my opinion (as nice as it would be).

• Like 1

i don't mean to pick on you here, but what is the deal with "gamers" being obsessed with which system is the most powerful? The XBOne and the PS4 have nearly identical specs, yet all i heard about for the last couple years was "yeah but xbox does THIS" and "yeah but PS does THAT". They are VERY similar systems as far as power goes. the only thing that really matters when deciding which system you want is

People saying xbox one and ps4 are nearly equal in power is one of the biggest lies in the history of mankind. The PS4 is substantially more powerful than the xbone. And by substantially I mean a GPU that's about 50% better and a type of RAM (GDDR5) that's a lot faster. The only thing the xbone has going for it is a 10% better CPU and 32 MB of eSRAM but that eSRAM still doesn't match the GDDR5 RAM of ps4. This is why more multi-platform games can do 1080p on ps4 than the 720p box. 

Edited by orthicviper

People saying xbox one and ps4 are nearly equal in power is one of the biggest lies in the history of mankind.

Please be aware that I have no opinion on this, having never played either one.  But...imagine how dull life would be if this statement wasn't simply hyperbole but was actually true. 

Biggest lies in the history of mankind (carefully avoiding anything concerning politics or religion):

1.  The Earth is flat

2.  The Xbox One and PS4 are similar in power

3.  Yes you look good in those jeans

Everything else was either true or else too small a fib to bother mentioning. :D

• Like 1

People saying xbox one and ps4 are nearly equal in power is one of the biggest lies in the history of mankind. The PS4 is substantially more powerful than the xbone. And by substantially I mean a GPU that's about 50% better and a type of RAM (GDDR5) that's a lot faster. The only thing the xbone has going for it is a 10% better CPU and 32 MB of eSRAM but that eSRAM still doesn't match the GDDR5 RAM of ps4. This is why more multi-platform games can do 1080p on ps4 than the 720p box. 

LOL, dude. Who doesn't have a gaming PC? I have mine hooked up to my plasma TV in my mancave. My thing is, 1080p is good enough for most people. Everything else is for you goofy looking nerds.

ukYN1zC.jpg

I realize you're joking, but whether or not they're labeled as games doesn't change what they are or whether or not people enjoy them.  I only even brought it up because I'm aware that there are still plenty of people out there who DO consider them to fall into the category of "game," despite the clue in the name of their genre (visual novels) that they're basically electronic picture books.  Nothing wrong with that, but whether or not I enjoy them doesn't really affect whether they're games or not.  There's just as much interactivity to be had in a choose-your own adventure book (more, probably).

And of course, even in Japan, most of those are niche titles that don't sell well (luckily they can be made for a handful of pocket change, so they don't have to sell like gangbusters to turn a profit.)  All of the popular visual novels are going to sell big numbers on the consoles, not the PC

Really my only point was, outside of those, there are virtually NO games being released for the PC in Japan, except for indie titles that probably sell better outside of Japan than within ("indie" in Japan, whether in music or games, has a negative connotation of "not good enough to be major label.")  So a future where any of Japan's big guns like Nintendo develop with the PC in mind is hard to believe.

• Like 1

K0Q8TjY.gif

I'm buying a switch. The Wii U is a 1080 machine. They push some nice graphics out on it when they want to. if Nintendo dies my heart will die a little inside. Their are the last man standing from the old school console days, and mostly make the type of games I like to play. I can't really imagine playing Nientendo games on other hardware.

The Switch ought to do well since the main reason why Nintendo has been struggling lately is that they've had to split their resources in half and essentially compete with themselves by putting in near equal efforts in their portable and console games. It made more sense to have a portable system when portables were enormously far behind in tech relative to the main consoles of the day, and thus making a portable game was like nothing compared to the resources and finances required for a console game. Nowadays though the gap between portable games and console games has largely been closed, and it just doesn't make sense anymore to split your resources in half and spread your content out between two platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

The Switch ought to do well since the main reason why Nintendo has been struggling lately is that they've had to split their resources in half and essentially compete with themselves by putting in near equal efforts in their portable and console games. It made more sense to have a portable system when portables were enormously far behind in tech relative to the main consoles of the day, and thus making a portable game was like nothing compared to the resources and finances required for a console game. Nowadays though the gap between portable games and console games has largely been closed, and it just doesn't make sense anymore to split your resources in half and spread your content out between two platforms.

This is wrong.  The Wiiu is strugling because it takes too much work to dumb down the AAA games.

The Next should do just fine like gameboys always have.  Playstation portable and vita are good examples that home consoles and portable game hardware can do well simultaneously.

Nintendo will become the pariah game developer in the coming years which will not recieve much love from the mainstream gaming community.  Honestly, people will be saying, "remember NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Wii, DS, Gamecube?" in this order.

This is wrong.  The Wiiu is strugling because it takes too much work to dumb down the AAA games.

The Next should do just fine like gameboys always have.  Playstation portable and vita are good examples that home consoles and portable game hardware can do well simultaneously.

Nintendo will become the pariah game developer in the coming years which will not recieve much love from the mainstream gaming community.  Honestly, people will be saying, "remember NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Wii, DS, Gamecube?" in this order.

The PS Vita is a complete and utter failure. It's sold worse than the Wii U.

Also, Sony doesn't make first-party games. Nintendo does. Nintendo's main appeal is on the backs of their first party efforts. It's stupid for them to have two platforms because they are splitting their resources and competing with themselves. If Nintendo only had one platform to concentrate all their efforts on, then they would be in a stronger position because anyone who wants Nintendo games would be forced into that one platform and they wouldn't have to decide between two Nintendo options. I don't understand how this basic logic is wrong. You did nothing to disprove it. You just said the Wii U is bad because X Y Z reasons. My summary of Nintendo's situation and your reasons for Wii U's struggling can both be true at the same time.

As for Nintendo becoming a pariah developer, people have been saying this since the 16-bit days. You don't have to like Nintendo, but you also don't need to over-dramatize things like this. Look at the recent success of the NES Classic. There is a lot of love for Nintendo out there - they just need to tap into it with the right product. To say that the entire mainstream gaming community will suddenly hate Nintendo's brand name is very weak, non-persuasive rhetoric, and pure emotional nonsense.

• Retromags Curator

I LOVE my PSVita, but I cannot understand why Sony didn't want to market the hell out of it here in the US. I never see commercials for games, I never see advertising for the system, I can walk into major retailers and browse their video games only to see maybe 8-10 titles (and those are almost always ports of things that are also available on the PS3/PS4, like the EA sports series and such). This is one of those cases where, if not for GameStop, I wouldn't know the system was a thing or where to get software for it besides ordering online. There are so many awesome, quirky games I want to get for it eventually. I can tell that in a few years' time it's going to be an even bigger bitch to collect for than the PSP. :(

*huggles*
Areala

The PS Vita is a complete and utter failure. It's sold worse than the Wii U.

Also, Sony doesn't make first-party games. Nintendo does. Nintendo's main appeal is on the backs of their first party efforts. It's stupid for them to have two platforms because they are splitting their resources and competing with themselves. If Nintendo only had one platform to concentrate all their efforts on, then they would be in a stronger position because anyone who wants Nintendo games would be forced into that one platform and they wouldn't have to decide between two Nintendo options. I don't understand how this basic logic is wrong. You did nothing to disprove it. You just said the Wii U is bad because X Y Z reasons. My summary of Nintendo's situation and your reasons for Wii U's struggling can both be true at the same time.

As for Nintendo becoming a pariah developer, people have been saying this since the 16-bit days. You don't have to like Nintendo, but you also don't need to over-dramatize things like this. Look at the recent success of the NES Classic. There is a lot of love for Nintendo out there - they just need to tap into it with the right product. To say that the entire mainstream gaming community will suddenly hate Nintendo's brand name is very weak, non-persuasive rhetoric, and pure emotional nonsense.

I didn't say anyone would hate Nintendo but the mainsteam is getting sick of Nintendo's failure to build a reasonably powered machine and they are not even doing that.  This will make Nintendo's already bad situation worse.

I gotta admit, nobody makes games like Nintendo but if it is stupid to support a portable and home console, then tell me, how Nintendo was so successful doing it until WiiU?

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo will go full mobile before they go PC. Their best days are in the past, and some could say the last good game they had a hand in was hanafuda. I'll give them up through some of the Wii stuff, but only because I haven't recently catalogued how dirty they were in the eighties and nineties. Though Guru Larry has a nice video on that subject.

I LOVE my PSVita, but I cannot understand why Sony didn't want to market the hell out of it here in the US. I never see commercials for games, I never see advertising for the system, I can walk into major retailers and browse their video games only to see maybe 8-10 titles (and those are almost always ports of things that are also available on the PS3/PS4, like the EA sports series and such). This is one of those cases where, if not for GameStop, I wouldn't know the system was a thing or where to get software for it besides ordering online. There are so many awesome, quirky games I want to get for it eventually. I can tell that in a few years' time it's going to be an even bigger bitch to collect for than the PSP. :(

*huggles*

Areala

Maybe use this opportunity to corner the market on the rarest psp games? ;)

Nintendo will go full mobile before they go PC. Their best days are in the past, and some could say the last good game they had a hand in was hanafuda. I'll give them up through some of the Wii stuff, but only because I haven't recently catalogued how dirty they were in the eighties and nineties. Though Guru Larry has a nice video on that subject.

I don't think a card game they made 400 years ago is the last good game they made. :lol:

The 80's adored Nintendo's intellectual property during NES days.  The computer nerds especially loved those Nintendo toys.

So it has been confirmed again that the GPU in the Switch is the Nvidia Tegra X1. 

When docked, the GPU runs at 768MHz.  They claim this is 1080P capable but mathematically this is not possible.

When undocked, it downclocks 40% to 307.2 MHz.

This leads to two problems.

1. Essentially, 2 versions of the game need to be created, 720P and 1080i

There are a huge number of polygons and textures that need to be remodel.

2. The machine will have to be rebooted before you undock, this may only be an inconvenience

Whoever negotiated this deal at Nintendo with Nvidia should be demoted.

I'm not sure why this topic was even created other than to disparage a company for making choices it feels are necessary for it to compete in the current marketplace.

Nintendo are known for their quirky games and they never fail to bring out hardware that caters to their games, even if 3rd party support wavers from amazing (SNES) to non-existent (Wii-U). I think most people who buy into Nintendo do so primarily for their Mario, Metroid, Zelda branded games knowing they can likely play everything else on better hardware elsewhere anyway. 

All this blah, blah this over video processing power, blah blah that over CPU speed etc on a product that hasn't even been seen properly yet let alone having finished games demonstrated in public is speculative at best. How Nintendo's programmers go at hammering the hardware will determine how the console performs more than anything. While I personally don't have any inclination to buy a Switch, I look forward to seeing how it goes for Nintendo and I wish them well.   

• Like 1

Also keep in mind guys, competition in the market place (not necessarily at all about performance of hardware or software) drives innovation. What if Microsoft decided to not enter the gaming sphere at all, give gaming their own twist with the Xbox? Just one example, but I wish all companies that have a fresh idea the best of luck, as it benefits ALL gamers, even if you don't care for or buy their products.

I'm not sure why this topic was even created other than to disparage a company for making choices it feels are necessary for it to compete in the current marketplace.

Nintendo are known for their quirky games and they never fail to bring out hardware that caters to their games, even if 3rd party support wavers from amazing (SNES) to non-existent (Wii-U). I think most people who buy into Nintendo do so primarily for their Mario, Metroid, Zelda branded games knowing they can likely play everything else on better hardware elsewhere anyway. 

All this blah, blah this over video processing power, blah blah that over CPU speed etc on a product that hasn't even been seen properly yet let alone having finished games demonstrated in public is speculative at best. How Nintendo's programmers go at hammering the hardware will determine how the console performs more than anything. While I personally don't have any inclination to buy a Switch, I look forward to seeing how it goes for Nintendo and I wish them well.   

I don't think Nintendo fans fully understand the consequences of choosing an old 22 nm platform from Nvidia.  The hardware is more expensive and uses twice the wattage as anything from AMD's 2016 APU lineup.  It is insulting to have Nintendo make dumb choices for hardware then turn around and tell it's fans that they are not going to sell it at a loss. 

Nintendo's stock is going to continue to tumble and they will have to restructure because the Switch won't pay the bills.