i hope the nintendo nx is a total failure

Also keep in mind guys, competition in the market place (not necessarily at all about performance of hardware or software) drives innovation. What if Microsoft decided to not enter the gaming sphere at all, give gaming their own twist with the Xbox? Just one example, but I wish all companies that have a fresh idea the best of luck, as it benefits ALL gamers, even if you don't care for or buy their products.

If Xbox never existed, computer gaming would become twice as attractive.  Nintendo would make the console for the kiddie's and Sony would likely do marginally better than it is now. 

Personally, I don't own any Nintendo stock, nor am I or any of my friends or family employed by Nintendo.  My world doesn't revolve around Nintendo nor does my health or happiness depend upon Nintendo's successes or failures.  In pretty much every way, no matter what Nintendo does or does not do, I am pleasantly butthurt-free.  My sympathies go out to anyone living their life in anguish over every perceived misstep Nintendo makes.  Try to remember the good times and remember that regardless of how things may seem - you will survive.  I believe in you. :)

Personally, I don't own any Nintendo stock, nor am I or any of my friends or family employed by Nintendo.  My world doesn't revolve around Nintendo nor does my health or happiness depend upon Nintendo's successes or failures.  In pretty much every way, no matter what Nintendo does or does not do, I am pleasantly butthurt-free.  My sympathies go out to anyone living their life in anguish over every perceived misstep Nintendo makes.  Try to remember the good times and remember that regardless of how things may seem - you will survive.  I believe in you. :)

If I was going to simply remember "the good old days" from behind rose colored glasses, I wouldn't voice my concers over Nintendo's arrogance, but rather sit back and watch them fold.  

I won't buy a Switch because it rewards bad behavior.  The 3DS should last me until Nintendo get's some new blood in the design team, if ever. 

Nintendo won't fold. Their IP is too good for that.

If they need to pull a Sega and stop making consoles in favor of licensing games onto 3rd party hardware they will and like Sega they will likely make a good living out of it. However, their target market has always been providing hardware that makes best use of their IP and because of that 3rd party support has been up and down depending on the platform. If you were to break support down by platform, IMO it looks like this:

• NES - good
  • SNES - great
  • Gameboy - great (all iterations)
  • N64 - poor - medium
  • Gamecube - poor - medium
  • Gameboy Advance - great
  • Wii - great
  • 3DS - great
  • Wii-U - poor

All of Nintendo's handheld consoles have attracted widespread support while only 50% of its sofa based consoles have done well, of which only one, the Wii, has been successful in the last four generations from a 3rd party support perspective. When you look at it like that I can see why they might have chosen to go down the path of trying to merge handheld and sofa based gaming the way they have. If they can write a game that not only plays well on the go but scales well when viewed on the big screen yet only costs them a small additional cost in development as opposed to having to pay for two teams for separate versions they potentially stand to save a LOT in costs. I reckon that will sit well with 3rd party developers too and they understand that hence some 3rd party developers already stating publicly that they like the Switch. The whole idea of write on game for both lounge and handheld is sort of a utopia for developers and this represents the first really serious play in that space.

Forget 1080i or 1080p. If they can make 720p games run well people will be quite happy. If Mum and Dad are plonking it on a spare 32 or 40" inch TV the difference between 720p and 1080 is not especially discernible. Given it's also coming off a handheld tends to make people more accepting of limitations.

I actually think the Switch will sell very well indeed if their advertising really pushes the "one console for both on the go and lounge gaming" factor and they get good game publishing support from developers. Interesting times ahead. The one thing that bothers me most is the gamepad aspect. Those little handles look too small for adults when docked to the TV connector. Hopefully they will have the ability to link/use proper gamepads. 

Jake, I think you are literally the first person I have come across in 20+ years who truly cares about what powers a gaming system. I see from your comment about the 3DS that perhaps you preach from a position of love for Nintendo, and frustration in seeing them go one way when you just KNOW that they would be better off going another way. While I appreciate the conversation that you add to the site, I can see how you might come off as a bit trolling at times, whether intentionally or not. Text on a screen has a shortcoming of not being able to always convey tone, unfortunately... So, I think you mean well man.

For all we know, Nintendo chose the hardware they did because one manufacturer gave them the very best bid to make hundreds of thousands (millions?) of these systems. To you and I, building a handful of gaming rigs, a few dollars here and there may not matter, but surely you understand the economics of scale well enough to see that slightly inferior hardware just MIGHT make the most sense in the long run.

Personally? I'd love to see the Big N really knock it out of the park, like they did in the SNES days. Do I think it will happen? I dunno. I see more people playing games on their phones these days, since they always have a phone on them. Plus, kids don't have the money, adults do, and adults are usually working, not playing games, sooooo... we'll see. I'm still rooting for them, even though it's been years since I last bought a Nintendo product.

Jake, I think you are literally the first person I have come across in 20+ years who truly cares about what powers a gaming system. I see from your comment about the 3DS that perhaps you preach from a position of love for Nintendo, and frustration in seeing them go one way when you just KNOW that they would be better off going another way. While I appreciate the conversation that you add to the site, I can see how you might come off as a bit trolling at times, whether intentionally or not. Text on a screen has a shortcoming of not being able to always convey tone, unfortunately... So, I think you mean well man.

For all we know, Nintendo chose the hardware they did because one manufacturer gave them the very best bid to make hundreds of thousands (millions?) of these systems. To you and I, building a handful of gaming rigs, a few dollars here and there may not matter, but surely you understand the economics of scale well enough to see that slightly inferior hardware just MIGHT make the most sense in the long run.

Personally? I'd love to see the Big N really knock it out of the park, like they did in the SNES days. Do I think it will happen? I dunno. I see more people playing games on their phones these days, since they always have a phone on them. Plus, kids don't have the money, adults do, and adults are usually working, not playing games, sooooo... we'll see. I'm still rooting for them, even though it's been years since I last bought a Nintendo product.

- Nintendo needs to get some new developers who have freedom to design.  Working for Nintendo is like working in somebody elses grandparents house which has a strange odor and their family messes around with you're lifes work.  In other words Nintendo tells me what to do and I do it so nothing ever evolves.

- Yes I would have bought a Switch if they gave me better graphics

- Nvidia gave Nintendo a deal on lube. 

- Switch will sell 3 million 1st month then nothing all year

- By Christmas Nintendo will be so scared that they will lower the price

- By 2018 Nintendo will announce a new console

- If they dont restructure, they will lay off thousands or sell games on other systems.

• Like 1

Nintendo won't fold. Their IP is too good for that.

If they need to pull a Sega and stop making consoles in favor of licensing games onto 3rd party hardware they will and like Sega they will likely make a good living out of it. However, their target market has always been providing hardware that makes best use of their IP and because of that 3rd party support has been up and down depending on the platform.

All of Nintendo's handheld consoles have attracted widespread support while only 50% of its sofa based consoles have done well, of which only one, the Wii, has been successful in the last four generations from a 3rd party support perspective. When you look at it like that I can see why they might have chosen to go down the path of trying to merge handheld and sofa based gaming the way they have. If they can write a game that not only plays well on the go but scales well when viewed on the big screen yet only costs them a small additional cost in development as opposed to having to pay for two teams for separate versions they potentially stand to save a LOT in costs. I reckon that will sit well with 3rd party developers too and they understand that hence some 3rd party developers already stating publicly that they like the Switch. The whole idea of write on game for both lounge and handheld is sort of a utopia for developers and this represents the first really serious play in that space.

Forget 1080i or 1080p. If they can make 720p games run well people will be quite happy. If Mum and Dad are plonking it on a spare 32 or 40" inch TV the difference between 720p and 1080 is not especially discernible. Given it's also coming off a handheld tends to make people more accepting of limitations.

I actually think the Switch will sell very well indeed if their advertising really pushes the "one console for both on the go and lounge gaming" factor and they get good game publishing support from developers. Interesting times ahead. The one thing that bothers me most is the gamepad aspect. Those little handles look too small for adults when docked to the TV connector. Hopefully they will have the ability to link/use proper gamepads. 

Sega is a relic of a bygone era.  All the talent left in 2001 when  they went bankrupt.  Since then Sega Sammy Holdings has failed to take any risks or allow any funds to go towards talented designers who may use Sega's short list of game labels and turn it into something original. 

It's been 15 years of Sonic and Mario at the olympics or computer strategy games in an already saturated market.

Mario, Zelda Donkey Kong and almost any Nintendo games are arcade style.  I define arcade style as only needing a directional pad and a few buttons.

Tony Hawk and Super Mario Brothers could be in this same group.  All you need is 2 buttons and a D-Pad to enjoy.  The difference between the two is the realism.  Tony Hawk looks better and better as the resolution increases while Mario will look worse. 

Developers may say they like the switch but money talks and business walks and I think the Switch is going to fail to earn a profit for Nintendo and something will have to change.

Will certainly be interesting to see in a year or two, how this all plays out.

As for Sega, I could make the argument of Valkyria Chronicles. Quite possibly the best game they've made in 30 years. Completely original IP there, used the tech of the time to create a nice aesthetic to boot. :)   New and fresh ideas aren't always easy to come by, especially when you're expecting people to invest millions into a new IP without any proof that it will sell. Sadly, sequelitis has this industry in quite the grip.

Will certainly be interesting to see in a year or two, how this all plays out.

As for Sega, I could make the argument of Valkyria Chronicles. Quite possibly the best game they've made in 30 years. Completely original IP there, used the tech of the time to create a nice aesthetic to boot. :)   New and fresh ideas aren't always easy to come by, especially when you're expecting people to invest millions into a new IP without any proof that it will sell. Sadly, sequelitis has this industry in quite the grip.

Yes, Valkyria Chronicles is still a good game which didn't cost alot to create.  They combined the charm of Overwork's Skies of Arcadia with turn based dynamics of Shining Force.  It was simple to play but chalenging to master and unfortunately never recieved the acclaim compared to Supreme Commander or Starcraft 2.

Besides this sleeper hit Sega has made a name for themselves as a crapware developer to the general consumers in America.

Watch Shenmue 3 in  2018.  69,320 backers pledged $6,333,295 when it releases, they will be lucky to sell 200,000 copies.  The mass of people don't want Shenmue.  They never owned a Dreamcast and will therefore not know what a Shenmue is.  To a millennial Shenmue is like a stripped down boring version of Vice City and don't forget that Shenmue 1 and 2 were released 17 years ago on a system that ouputs 480P.  How exactly are people supposed to pick this up at 3?

Well, if Atari could sell a crap load of E.T games, or using No Mans Sky as another example, thanks primarily to good advertising I see no reason why Shenmue can't be sold in bucket loads purely on the same basis.

Unfortunately nothing appears to be good enough for our Jake. Why don't you just wait and stay away from gaming until the day when you can run them at 400FPS on that Dell 8K Monitor? It'll save you a lot of anguish not having to think  about all those measly CPU's and GPU's for the next few years. Ryzen and Vegas running Doom at 4K resolution at 60+ FPS in ultra high settings probably isn't good enough for him.

I like the fact that Nintendo row their own race. They don't follow anyone. They've led the handheld race from the start and Switch is just another intersection for them. Will it work for them? Do you want to see how far the rabbit hole goes? If you take the blue pill ..... 

because that means nintendo will be forced to release their games for the PC! A total winning situation for me...Then I wont need to buy extra controllers to play with anyone since I already have some for my PC. Though being nintendo they might try to make a new type of controller required to play their games on a PC

Now, am I the only one that thinks nintendo's best strategy would have been to give up their 'blue ocean' strategy of luring in casuals, and instead made a console more powerful than the ps4 pro and marketed their system as a hardcore gamer system?

Everybody keeps telling me that nintendo will only ever need the 720P graphics for the rest of their life because Mario Donkey Kong and Zelda are still drawn the same from 1982 and they like how it looks stretched out on grandma's flat screen.

You're not allowed to hope they fail here.  You need to embrace Gameboy Switch as salvation for Nintendo or leave it if you want.

Well, if Atari could sell a crap load of E.T games, or using No Mans Sky as another example, thanks primarily to good advertising I see no reason why Shenmue can't be sold in bucket loads purely on the same basis.

Unfortunately nothing appears to be good enough for our Jake. Why don't you just wait and stay away from gaming until the day when you can run them at 400FPS on that Dell 8K Monitor? It'll save you a lot of anguish not having to think  about all those measly CPU's and GPU's for the next few years. Ryzen and Vegas running Doom at 4K resolution at 60+ FPS in ultra high settings probably isn't good enough for him.

I like the fact that Nintendo row their own race. They don't follow anyone. They've led the handheld race from the start and Switch is just another intersection for them. Will it work for them? Do you want to see how far the rabbit hole goes? If you take the blue pill ..... 

Nice analogy of the Matrix.  When those movies came out I only had dial up and when ET came out, internet wasn't invented yet.  In fact, I believe there is a correlation between the Atari age and the birth of the digital media age.

In 1978 the peasants relied on magazine advertising to get their world news.  Television games were new and the people looking for games were ignorant to what is good or not.  Anybody who works here should already know this but the success of Steven Spielberg's blockbuster E.T. is what sold the merchandise, E.T. for Atari 2600 being one of them.

Nowadays money is hard to come by but game critics are easy to find.  Shenmue has nothing going for it as far as brand awareness or marketing capital.  I was a supporter of Shenmue 3 and I hope I may conclude the series for myself but I'm also aware that 1 and 2 are unplayable for the millions of gamers today that don't own a Dreamcast for Shenmue 1 and an Xbox for Shenmue 2. 

As for the Doom, this is a marketing stunt to steal momentum from AMD's rivals.  Enthusiasts are not impresses by this.  We have a list of benchmarks and test that must be conducted in a lab setting before we know anything conclusive.  Only peasants preorder things however, the Doom Vega tease does appear to be good news rather than bad news.

There sure is a lot of elitism being tossed about here.  The irony of all this whinging being, if all the "peasants" likewise turned their noses up at anything and everything that wasn't on the bleeding edge, the elites would have nothing to feel superior about and would be afflicted with perpetual sad face. :P

There sure is a lot of elitism being tossed about here.  The irony of all this whinging being, if all the "peasants" likewise turned their noses up at anything and everything that wasn't on the bleeding edge, the elites would have nothing to feel superior about and would be afflicted with perpetual sad face. :P

If console peasants were happy with bad graphics it wouldn't affect computer gaming one bit.  Nintendo Switch however is targeted to 8 year olds where I live.  Every 8 year old wants a computer to play games but hardly any computer gamers desire a Nintendo. If they do have a Nintendo it is likely to signal how virtuous they are but it seldom gets used because they are either on the computer or one of the notable consoles.

Every 8 year old wants a computer to play games but hardly any computer gamers desire a Nintendo.

I don't know any American 8-year-olds, so even though this statement doesn't sound right to me, I'll take your word for it.  However, I can empirically proclaim with 100% assurance that this is categorically untrue in Japan.  Hardly anyone uses a PC for gaming, and those that do are adults.  Nintendo's success in Japan is largely dependent upon their successful marketing of their products to children, which is why their handhelds have always dominated the Japanese sales charts over the home consoles, which are targeted to a smaller audience of older gamers with more disposable income.

If all American children are mainly PC gamers as you say (really?), marketing to America may be a lost cause and Nintendo's profits will suffer.  But until they do something to alienate their core market of Japanese handheld gamers and children, Nintendo as a company is safe as houses and won't be going the way of Sega anytime soon, even if they pull out of the American market entirely (which they won't).

I don't know any American 8-year-olds, so even though this statement doesn't sound right to me, I'll take your word for it.  However, I can empirically proclaim with 100% assurance that this is categorically untrue in Japan.  Hardly anyone uses a PC for gaming, and those that do are adults.  Nintendo's success in Japan is largely dependent upon their successful marketing of their products to children, which is why their handhelds have always dominated the Japanese sales charts over the home consoles, which are targeted to a smaller audience of older gamers with more disposable income.

If all American children are mainly PC gamers as you say (really?), marketing to America may be a lost cause and Nintendo's profits will suffer.  But until they do something to alienate their core market of Japanese handheld gamers and children, Nintendo as a company is safe as houses and won't be going the way of Sega anytime soon, even if they pull out of the American market entirely (which they won't).

I get it Japan like handhelds, or maybe just Japanese style games?

Children are not allowed to play unsupervised on a computer yet it is the one thing they desire most.  Parents instead compromise with their children with Nintendo.  But a computer is what they really want or at least an Xbox.

I wonder if the future of video gaming in America will be harmed due to the lack of appeal to children.  I saw it happen with the comic book industry.  Back when I was a kid, comics could be found everywhere, at affordable prices and mostly written to appeal to kids.

At some point after the speculator crash of the 90s, comics matured and began featuring much better art and stories, and yet the sales dwindled year after year because they no longer appealed to children, so there were no new generations of comic book readers to replace the old.  The average comic book reader today is probably in their 40s, and at $3-4 per issue, they aren't within most kids' means anymore.

Looking through the Entertainment Software Association's sales, demographic and usage data report of 2016 makes me wonder if video games in America face a similar future.  Average game player age: 35.  Only 27% of US gamers are under 18 (think about how different that was back in the NES/SNES heyday).  Also interesting is how gaming platform statistics in America are the exact opposite of Japan.  In the US, the most used gaming device is the PC, followed by console, smartphone, and last by far, handheld systems.  This, more than anything, shows why Nintendo is never going to please all American gamers, since they have always focused on pleasing the Japanese market first, which means handhelds first, followed by smartphones and consoles, with PC gaming being hardly a blip on the radar of most consumers.

Still, at least by appealing to kids, Japan is creating new generations of gamers for the future.  If the majority of American gamers today are adults who began gaming as children on the NES 25-30 years ago, then what happens in another 30 years if there aren't new generations of kids to replace them?

I wonder if the future of video gaming in America will be harmed due to the lack of appeal to children.  I saw it happen with the comic book industry.  Back when I was a kid, comics could be found everywhere, at affordable prices and mostly written to appeal to kids.

At some point after the speculator crash of the 90s, comics matured and began featuring much better art and stories, and yet the sales dwindled year after year because they no longer appealed to children, so there were no new generations of comic book readers to replace the old.  The average comic book reader today is probably in their 40s, and at $3-4 per issue, they aren't within most kids' means anymore.

Looking through the Entertainment Software Association's sales, demographic and usage data report of 2016 makes me wonder if video games in America face a similar future.  Average game player age: 35.  Only 27% of US gamers are under 18 (think about how different that was back in the NES/SNES heyday).  Also interesting is how gaming platform statistics in America are the exact opposite of Japan.  In the US, the most used gaming device is the PC, followed by console, smartphone, and last by far, handheld systems.  This, more than anything, shows why Nintendo is never going to please all American gamers, since they have always focused on pleasing the Japanese market first, which means handhelds first, followed by smartphones and consoles, with PC gaming being hardly a blip on the radar of most consumers.

Still, at least by appealing to kids, Japan is creating new generations of gamers for the future.  If the majority of American gamers today are adults who began gaming as children on the NES 25-30 years ago, then what happens in another 30 years if there aren't new generations of kids to replace them?

"The 2016 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry  was released by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) in April 2016. The annual research was conducted by Ipsos MediaCT for ESA. The study is the most in-depth and targeted survey of its kind, gathering data from more than 4,000 American households. Heads of households and the most frequent gamers within each household were surveyed about their game play habits and attitudes."

The US has approximately 230 million people and 4000 homes is too small to give an accurate measure.  They ask these people if they play video games at least 3 hours a week and a videogame is defined as being played on a console, desktop or smartphone.

Maybe 1000 of these women played candy crush or angry birds while waiting for a hair appointment meanwhile 1000 dudes shelled out hundreds of extra dollars for some new games on their desktop and played for 12 hours in one weekend.

Everybody keeps telling me that nintendo will only ever need the 720P graphics for the rest of their life because Mario Donkey Kong and Zelda are still drawn the same from 1982 and they like how it looks stretched out on grandma's flat screen.

You're not allowed to hope they fail here.  You need to embrace Gameboy Switch as salvation for Nintendo or leave it if you want.

Something tells me you haven't been paying attention too terribly much. I almost bought a Wii U simply because of Mario Kart 8, and how gorgeous it was. Maybe my eyes deceive me, but it certainly didn't appear to look to be using the same graphic models as the old SNES version...

Beauty is still, despite thousands of years of art, critics, and consumers, still in the eye of the beholder. That much will always remain true, and you will always have people like me (and I suspect the majority of folks on here) who place priority on gameplay over graphics. Example? I spent about two hours playing Tekken 2 yesterday. Still holds up really well, and I had a great time playing it.

All that said, I am eternally grateful to folks like you Jake, who will settle for nothing less than cutting edge technology. You make it possible for people like me to play the same technology ~5 years later, at relatively dirt cheap prices, and have the same gaming experiences, albeit a few years later. I can deal with that. I'm a car guy, and as much as I LOVE some new cars, my newest one is 17 years old. Let someone else take the depreciation hit... :)

Something tells me you haven't been paying attention too terribly much. I almost bought a Wii U simply because of Mario Kart 8, and how gorgeous it was. Maybe my eyes deceive me, but it certainly didn't appear to look to be using the same graphic models as the old SNES version...

Beauty is still, despite thousands of years of art, critics, and consumers, still in the eye of the beholder. That much will always remain true, and you will always have people like me (and I suspect the majority of folks on here) who place priority on gameplay over graphics. Example? I spent about two hours playing Tekken 2 yesterday. Still holds up really well, and I had a great time playing it.

All that said, I am eternally grateful to folks like you Jake, who will settle for nothing less than cutting edge technology. You make it possible for people like me to play the same technology ~5 years later, at relatively dirt cheap prices, and have the same gaming experiences, albeit a few years later. I can deal with that. I'm a car guy, and as much as I LOVE some new cars, my newest one is 17 years old. Let someone else take the depreciation hit... :)

And maybe you haven't been paying attention, cartoons have always scaled well when compared to live action film.  Nintendo games are essentially a cartoon and so they scale well on the Wiiu or any console for that matter.  When the Wiiu tries to play the big boy games it craps the bed.

ezh9xP2.jpg

Come on guys you know he's right!!! Big boys only play gamez with the raddest graphics. Only simpleton peasant children play cartoons that don't even try to look like photo-realistic recreations of generic action movies! That's where the gameplay's at -- the graphics! All you losers talking about "Iike wow man, this game is fun" make me laugh. I remember when I was a stupid game-playing peasant like you, but now I've ascended to a higher plane so far above you I sometimes get nosebleeds. Up here we don't PLAY games like the stupid peasants - we just let the game run in demo mode and look at the sexy sexy graphics, leaving our hands free to take care of...other things. I'm posting this on my phone which won't allow smileys so just imagine one sitting right about here. ( ̄▽ ̄)