Areala Asks: Favorite Newspaper Comic? (20161209)

Areala

• Retromags Curator

Boy, I fell behind on these things didn't I? Today's question is quite simple:

Do you read newspaper comics (either in the newspaper or online or in book form), and if so, what is/was your favorite?

In this case, a newspaper comic is a serial strip that ran in the papers, anything from Garfield and Peanuts to King Valiant and Dick Tracy.

Speak to me, my beloved Retromags denizens. Your Goddess requests. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

Kind of hard to imagine there being too many choices beyond Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side.

But to be different, I'll go with early Peanuts.  As in the early 1950s strips when it was just starting.  Fantagraphics has released a series of quality books collecting every Peanuts strip ever and the earliest ones were a revelation to me, having only been familiar with the stuff done in my lifetime.  It was interesting to see the art style evolve over time as seeing all of the familiar characters (very) slowly introduced over the years.

410912_10100834999760651_379458560_o.jpg

Also, this doesn't really count, but the animated series based on The Boondocks is outstanding.

I only read the newspaper when Im doing a shutdown for 6 weeks each year and I don't read the comics but instead glance over them.  The comics to me are so dry I could die of dehydration.  They also seem like they are written for a 90 year old.

If I have time to kill I would likely read Garfield, Hagar the Horrible and if it was still in print here, I would also read Family Circus.  Besides this, I don't think a public newspaper would appeal to my senses. :)

ary9uC5.png

for stuff that's still in my local paper every day/week, i always gravitate towards "Foxtrot" or "Zits". "Retail" hits a little too close to home, having worked in retail stores for 10+ years.

long-term, the "Far Side" and "Calvin & Hobbes" were absolutely my faves.

all of that being said, THIS is probably my all-time, favorite strip that i have ever read:

GetFuzzy.jpg

Kind of hard to imagine there being too many choices beyond Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side.

Also, this doesn't really count, but the animated series based on The Boondocks is outstanding.

Huge fan of both Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side. Keep meaning to watch The Boondocks, as I caught one episode on Adult Swim years ago, and rather enjoyed it. It's on Netflix, far as I know (it comes and goes for whatever reason), but just haven't committed yet.

As for current comics in my local newspaper, I enjoy Speed Bump by Dave Coverly, as well as Strange Brew. Both are one panel comics, but done quite well. Unfortunately our paper is a small one, with only maybe 10 comics in it. Foxtrot, Zits, and Dilbert were already mentioned, Non-Sequiteur (I'm probably spelling that incorrectly) was also one I loved.

Worst comic though? Gotta be Ziggy. For the love of all that is holy in this world, I think I only ever read a SINGLE strip of Ziggy that was actually funny. All the others, I read only to make the other strips in that week's paper THAT much better by way of comparison. Sorry Ziggy, just how it is, you strange, strange character.

Worst comic though? Gotta be Ziggy. For the love of all that is holy in this world, I think I only ever read a SINGLE strip of Ziggy that was actually funny. All the others, I read only to make the other strips in that week's paper THAT much better by way of comparison. Sorry Ziggy, just how it is, you strange, strange character.

the movie "Go" articulates my hatred of "Family Circus" the best:

Edited by twiztor

You know, Family Circus is about the least offensive comic I can think of. As in, takes no risks. Yet, occasionally it does strike me as a bit funny.

Anyone else grow up reading the comics, then suddenly finding yourself reading the rest of the paper too?