Areala Asks: Favorite Christmas Song? (25122016)

Areala

• Retromags Curator

That's right, a Christmas double-header for all you Retro-maniacs. Pretty much everyone has a favorite holiday-themed tune they listen to this time of year. This one's especially for all you Scrooges out there (myself included) who work retail and thus have to put up with a non-stop litany of Christmas songs starting the day after Thanksgiving. So, to ask it simply:

What's your favorite holiday song? :)

It can be classic or contemporary, secular or religious, commercialized or traditional, cover or original, well-known or ridiculously obscure. Post a link so the rest of us can listen, especially if you're into one particular person or band's interpretation of a well-known tune.

I'll start us off this time around. I've loved this song ever since I was a little girl, and the album it's off of is one of the few Christmas albums I can listen to without wanting to start hurling things through windows. This is John Denver singing "Noel: Christmas Eve, 1913" off the album 'John Denver & The Muppets: A Christmas Together':

Honourable mentions:

'O Holy Night' by The Lettermen

'Snowfall Music' by Carbon Leaf

'Better Days' by Goo Goo Dolls

'Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy' by Bing Crosby & David Bowie

'Last Christmas' by Wham

*huggles*
Areala

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that there are plenty I would enjoy, most likely stuff that isn't constantly played, but nothing really springs to mind.

However, as much as I love heavy instrumental music (I'm a bit of a prog-rock / metal geek), I gotta say that cranking some Trans Syberian Orchestra through a quality set of speakers is good for the spirits. :)

• Like 3

I'm sure that there are plenty I would enjoy, most likely stuff that isn't constantly played, but nothing really springs to mind.

However, as much as I love heavy instrumental music (I'm a bit of a prog-rock / metal geek), I gotta say that cranking some Trans Syberian Orchestra through a quality set of speakers is good for the spirits. :)

The American equivalent for me is Twisted Sister.  Anything off "A Twisted Christmas".

• Like 1