Phillyman

What Systems Did You Go To School With?

Sometimes when I am reading thru an old GamePro or Nintendo Power, I wonder what age or grade I was when a specific console or game came out. Well today I put together a helpful chart to show me what age and grade I was in when major game systems dropped. I have always felt like I grew up at the best time for video games, I was the perfect age in the 80s and 90s when new systems were dropping every year. Before anyone points this out....I did repeat 7th grade, because I switched schools over summer (wasn't my choice).

Note this just shows when a console came out, for example, I actually got my NES in 1988/89.  I think the only systems I got on launch were the PSx, SNES, Nintendo 64">N64 and Gameboy.

post-1-0-28499400-1484056703.png

Home computers didn't exist when I started school in 1967. The Atari 8-bit series were released in 1979, the Commodore Vic-20 in 1980 so I was 18 and at work when the home computing revolution arrived. God I'm feeling old about now ....  :rolleyes:

I acquired a Nintendo Nintendo 64">N64 before the New Zealand release date as the computer company I worked for did business with the distributors, Monarco as I recall, and we received two consoles and Super Mario 64 games from them a couple of weeks before they appeared in shops. The family were glued to the TV I can tell you. Fun times back then.

When I read the title, I thought you were literally asking what systems we took to school with us, so that's how I'm going to answer, since there was only ever one.

I can't remember when exactly I got it, so I may have had it for a while at that point, but I spent my 5th grade year passing Tiger Electronic Baseball back and forth between me and a friend as we walked to and from school each day.  I also had a bowling game that was so-so, and a Castlevania II one that was total shite, but the baseball game wasn't bad as far as those simple handhelds went.  I can still hear the high-pitch beeps and screeches in my head and wonder how they didn't drive me insane back then...

tiger_baseball_1.jpg