Deleted Scenes That Should Have Been Left In!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

What are some deleted scenes from movies, that you believe should have been left in the movie. Maybe it was a kick ass scene, or it helped clear up the story.

Number 1 on my list.....

Black Speech of Mordor.

This scene just kicks ass, it shows more to the sway the ring had over Boramir and just how awesome Gandalf is......scene just rocks!

• Retromags Curator

Never understood why they cut the scenes with the Sentry guns from Aliens. I know they slowed the pacing of the movie, but they technically advanced the story by showing the xenomorphs could understand overwhelming firepower, and it ratcheted up the tension watching those ammo counters drain down to zero... :)

*huggles*
Areala

In 1987 Director Paul Verhoeven finished the movie Robocop which received an X Rating by MPAA

He had to cut the scene with Ed 209 somewhat

The scene where Murphy gets wrecked by Clarence's gang has some gore cut

2 other smaller scenes were edited to receive an R rating

By 1990, and after Paul Verhoeven went through hell on Robocop, he made sure to use a lot of angles to shoot the violent aspects of Total Recall and when the MPAA would object to something, he would change the angle used rather than cut and for the most part, it worked.

The goriest version with an official release was the NC-17 version but there was rumors of an X rated screener version which had Benny, Helm and Richter's death scenes extended.

There was also more of Quaid trampling bodies and using them as a shield in the airport as well as the scientists getting brutalized more after the failed attempt at an implant.

• Retromags Curator

*shudder* Robocop is one of my favorite movies of all time (that remake never happened, do you hear me?), but DAMN is Murphy's death in the NC-17 cut hard to watch. The only analogues I can come up with are the scourging scene in Passion of the Christ and what happens to Anna at the end of Pascal Laugier's Martyrs. Usually after one initial viewing, and getting all of the surprise out of the way, I can watch even the most ridiculously violent scenes without reacting, but Murphy's execution at the hands of Clarence & Co. still gives me chills.

As far as I know it only exists in storyboard form, but the Transformers animated movie from 1986 cut/reworked the scene of Ultra Magnus's death. Originally when Galvatron gave the order for the Sweeps to kill Ultra Magnus, the four Sweeps each fired out a 'laser rope' to ensnare all four of his limbs, raised him into the air, then flew off in different directions, 'quartering' him. Before the entire scene was animated, somebody made the decision that such a death was far too violent and the scene was re-worked so that the Sweeps simply strafed him with shots until he fell over and exploded apart. You can still see the remnants of the original idea in the final film though, as they had animated up to the point where the Sweeps all shoot out the laser ropes, which is why they have the drawn-out purple beams before the scene transitions to show the scattering laser shots that eventually kill him. Man, kids films in the 80's were hardcore! :)

*huggles*
Areala

It doesn't affect me at all now, but I remember being horrified by the malfunctioning ED-209 scene when I saw it as a kid.  That terror of knowing you're going to die and are helpless to prevent it...like the scene in Private Ryan where the guy is pleading with the German soldier who is slowly easing a knife into him...

• Retromags Curator
15 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

It doesn't affect me at all now, but I remember being horrified by the malfunctioning ED-209 scene when I saw it as a kid.  That terror of knowing you're going to die and are helpless to prevent it...like the scene in Private Ryan where the guy is pleading with the German soldier who is slowly easing a knife into him...

If you listen to the commentary for Robocop on the Criterion edition, one of the people involved in the production tells a rather funny story about having to wire the poor kid up with the squibs multiple times, because after every take, Verhoeven didn't like it because it wasn't bloody enough, and he kept telling the FX guys to use more blood. Finally, after several takes that displeased the director, the FX team decided, "Screw it," and wired the actor up with blood squibs on every part of his body they could stick them. When Verhoeven called 'Action!', the kid flung himself back on the table, the FX guys started setting off squibs, and they kept going for an absurd length of time as the actor kept bouncing and twitching and shuddering, covering himself and half the set with fake blood.

The scene ended, Verhoeven called 'Cut!', and the FX guys just stood there, staring at him, daring him to say something about it not being bloody enough. Verhoeven waited a little bit, shrugged his shoulders, then said something like, "I guess that was OK." :D

*huggles*
Areala

Whenever I purchase the home release of a movie anymore, I find myself ignoring deleted scene bonus features just for this very reason. :)  I can't seem to watch the same movie again without thinking, "damn - that deleted scene should've been left in!"

That said, I'm a sucker for Director's Cuts and DVDs/Blu-Rays that allow me to add deleted scenes to the film in real-time.

Perhaps an odd choice, but I would say "Happy Gilmore." There's a deleted scene where Happy returns to the nursing home to confront Hal the orderly: he reveals that his grandma told him about the abuse and punches Hal, who is then swarmed by the elderly residents of the home.

I don't know why it was cut. The scene is brief, and the theatrical release has absolutely no comeuppance for Hal and his cruelty. Quite a strange decision.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, MGS said:

The originally planned ending for I am Legend?

The movie made no sense with the ending it shipped with.

I'am Legend was originally meant to end with the doctor believing these vampires have always been human and that they make connections with each other like humans do.  So rather than try and destroy all the vampires, he releases a medicine that brings them halfway back to normal.

They changed the ending so the doctor saves his family and gives them the medicine but needlessly commits suicide. 

Both endings are amusing because they lead me to think the monsters will go on to inherit the earth.  I would imagine a family vacation photo would look something like this.

HYuZDty.png

• 1 month later...