Ladies and Gentlemen, Please Rise...

Areala

• Retromags Curator

...for the YouTube National Anthem!

:angel:

Remembering a simpler time, when YouTube was filled with Halo fails, Unregistered Hypercam notations, and typo-ridden Notepad pages painstakingly backspaced out explaining what you were about to see. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Youtube was great at first.  Everyone was uploading music, television and movie clips and all kinds of jack ass videos.  Then the music industry and MPAA got tired of giving take down requests for millions of videos going up a week.  Youtube was forced by the Supreme court to prevent a list of copyrighted sound from every being uploaded.  They did this with an algorithm which was later used by music ID apps in 2008. 

When youtube first came out, the full video would load into the computer's ram so you could disable the internet after it was loaded in you're web browser and still be able to play it back.  This helped at a time when download speed was too slow for even 100 Mb video and the video would have to load every 10 seconds.

Then after smartphones became popular, I believe youtube changed it so only a minute would download at a time and you would actually have to be watching the video for it to continue downloading.  I believe they said this was to conserve data limits.

I liked it when you could have more than one tab open on you're web browser, each with a different music video.  Then you can take you're device away from the internet source and play back the stuff while you're away. 

Oooohhh say, you can't seee
this content in your country
for within it are things
claimed by So-ny B-M-G.

Don't upload Super Mario
Or you'll deal with Nintendo
And if you upload Metroid
Your account will be destroyed

Now YouTube ████ing blows
Don't forget YouTube Heroes
Where they pay you to spy
So good content will die

Oh say does anybody have a good YouTube alternative?
Nevermind, I do not care, fresh out of ████s to give.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2017 at 5:10 PM, Data said:

When youtube first came out, the full video would load into the computer's ram so you could disable the internet after it was loaded in you're web browser and still be able to play it back.  This helped at a time when download speed was too slow for even 100 Mb video and the video would have to load every 10 seconds.

I miss the youtube buffer that you describe, it was nice. Recently had an issue with playback on my computer, and in my search for a fix, discovered that you can use an extension on Firefox (and presumably other browsers) to download the video to your PC. Unfortunately it seems the resolution is capped at 720p due to the way higher resolutions are streamed, but still, it's a nice feature for essentially the same reasons you point out.

24 minutes ago, te72 said:

I miss the youtube buffer that you describe, it was nice. Recently had an issue with playback on my computer, and in my search for a fix, discovered that you can use an extension on Firefox (and presumably other browsers) to download the video to your PC. Unfortunately it seems the resolution is capped at 720p due to the way higher resolutions are streamed, but still, it's a nice feature for essentially the same reasons you point out.

Might be a limitation of that extension, because you can definitely download 1080p videos off of Youtube.  I use JDownloader.

Most like the case with that particular extension. Not something I planned on using, if I'm honest. I have (likely as you do) more than enough to keep myself entertained backed up as is.

Still, a very cool option, particularly for those of us with internet speeds that wouldn't otherwise allow for streaming higher quality videos.

Yeah, it isn't something I do either.  I have no trouble streaming 1080p, so I don't ever download off of Youtube.  But since I use JDownloader as a general download manager and was aware of its ability to save Youtube videos at all available resolutions, I figured I'd mention it.

20 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Yeah, it isn't something I do either.  I have no trouble streaming 1080p, so I don't ever download off of Youtube.  But since I use JDownloader as a general Download Manager and was aware of its ability to save Youtube videos at all available resolutions, I figured I'd mention it.

I envy your typical internet speeds man... thanks for specifying JDownloader, I'll take a look at that, see if it isn't something I could make use of.

14 hours ago, Raijin Z said:

JDownloader and other similar programs are essential now that Google is on a massive censorship blitzkrieg. I also need to properly figure out how to make webms that don't look like Russian VHS rips encoded in RealVideo.

Not to open a can of worms, but I'm curious about the Google comment? What are they up to now?

They're proactively taking down "problematic" videos that go against the media narrative. Less obvious issues are Google de-monetizing videos that criticize the mainstream media, even by providing examples of its dishonesty. If you can't get away with banning popular rabble-rousers from your services, just choke them out by not paying them for the advertisements you put on their popular comment, and deny companies that would support these people from having their advertisements on your network. Basically, small content producers get banned and all of their videos get disappeared, larger ones get de-monetized so they can't spend as much time researching and producing content, and both get slapped with false claims of hate speech, copyright infringement, and other malarkey that Google allows with impunity if the people doing it are unassailable.

Remember when Sega issued takedowns on any video that even mentioned Shining Force?

Interesting, I was unaware of them using such tactics. Suppose it highlights the importance of mirrors, and other backups, so that information gets spread over a wider area of the net.

I do not recall Sega doing that, but I do wonder why they would bother... if people are talking about a game you made, it helps make others aware of it. Have they never heard the phrase that there is no such thing as bad publicity?