Your Disappointment But Highly Rated.

Kain

Basically list a game you were disappointed with, but it is very highly rated and loved.

For me, even to this day i don't get people's love with The Last Of Us. When it came out it was being touted as a amazing achievement, And it still is, considered to be one of the best games ever and so on, but for me it was anything but. The level design was ok, story was decent, but game-play and the characters as far as i go were not that great. As i was playing it, i kept waiting for that touching moment, something that grabs me and shows me why the game was great and what everyone was raving about, and before you know it it never came and the credits rolled. A really good PS3 exclusive. but i wouldn't say anything special other than that, Did i miss something with it? To me it's just one title that i myself never could get my head around as to it being really special.  The game does have many accolades and fans but i'm one of the few who didn't think it was that great or special.

• Retromags Curator
9 hours ago, Kain said:

For me, even to this day i don't get people's love with The Last Of Us. When it came out it was being touted as a amazing achievement, And it still is, considered to be one of the best games ever and so on, but for me it was anything but. The level design was ok, story was decent, but game-play and the characters as far as i go were not that great. As i was playing it, i kept waiting for that touching moment, something that grabs me and shows me why the game was great and what everyone was raving about, and before you know it it never came and the credits rolled. A really good PS3 exclusive. but i wouldn't say anything special other than that, Did i miss something with it? To me it's just one title that i myself never could get my head around as to it being really special.  The game does have many accolades and fans but i'm one of the few who didn't think it was that great or special.

I'll second this. "The Last of Us" managed to both bore and frustrate me to tears. I'm sure there's a nifty story in there somewhere, and my best friend absolutely considers it one of the best games she's ever played, but my first experience with the game did absolutely nothing for me and I gave up and returned it after about two hours. Considering how much I enjoy the Uncharted series, "The Last of Us" was a serious let-down from Naughty Dog. That said, I'm no great fan of the "stealth-action" genre, so I've never been too keen on games like "Tenchu: Stealth Assassins" or even "Metal Gear Solid" for that matter. Gaming heresy I know, but does anybody else think the MGS series is just a bloated ego-wanking joke at this point? :)

Another one I figured I'd love and wound up being 100% unimpressed by is "Dragon Age: Origins". Bioware games are phenomenal, everyone had nothing but good things to say about DA:O, yet my feeling when playing it was, "Why does anyone care about this?" Is it a joke I just don't get? Seriously, DA:O is a train wreck IMO. :)

"Bioshock" is my third choice. Yes, the story is good, and the twists are amazing, and the voice acting is perfect, but is it just me or is the gameplay ridiculously monotonous and padded to an extreme degree? I finished it because I was stubborn and wanted to see how the narrative arc unfolded, but I've no desire to ever play it again, and I've never bothered with any of the sequels. :)

"Assassin's Creed". I've read Russian literature more exciting and engaging than this game. Friends tell me that you have to give it time, and it really starts getting good once you reach the third one, but sorry Ubisoft, this franchise is a total dumpster fire. :)

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's probably enough for now...

*huggles*
Areala

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, Areala said:

"Assassin's Creed". I've read Russian literature more exciting and engaging than this game. Friends tell me that you have to give it time, and it really starts getting good once you reach the third one, but sorry Ubisoft, this franchise is a total dumpster fire. :)

Same. Assassins creed is just a slog playing through.

*Goldeneye for the Wii. 

bought this on the strength of Goldeneye for the n64. That was one of my most played and favorite games. Picked up the Wii remake and found it to be completely different. Felt more like CoD than Goldeneye to me, which is a big downgrade. I even gave it a second chance and picked up the Wii Zapper, to see if i could acclimate myself to the playstyle. Still couldn't stand it. Remains the only Wii game i've traded in after buying.

*Bayonetta 2 for the Wii-U. 

picked it up when it first came out, due to high praise and the fact that it came with Bayonetta 1. Played it for about two hours, 45 minutes of which was cut scenes, and the part that wasn't i didn't find interesting. There was too much "Now Press X!" "Now Press A!" for my liking. Traded it to a friend for something (don't remember what) but i definitely got the better end of that deal IMO.

Another one that i myself at first i thought it was a nice idea and something interesting and then it got out of hand. The Rockband/Guitar Hero Series.  Seeing people, forming their own bands was something else, and a video game band at that. Did like the first game but after that, it just went downhill. I guess it's more of the popularity and just seeing people dishing out money for song packs, buying the equipment and  taking the games so seriously that drove me to be disappointed by it and not to care for the series, the fun got taken out of it that i just don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

Halo 4! I really didn't like where the series went... :(
Of course lots of people love it..

The campaign was so weird I stopped playing after the second chapter.. new aliens and weapons (and no duals), very weird. At least the grunts were funny. I wasn't a big fan of most of the multiplayer maps as well :(

Okami.  This got big raves from the media when it came out on PlayStation 2, and my little brother (whose taste I ordinarily have the utmost respect for) enjoyed it.  Then it came out for one of my favorite consoles, the Wii, and all the critics said the Wii version is even better than the original.  So I got it.

Where to start?  How about the fact that half the game is quick time events?  I actually like quick-time event games if they're well done, but even I would admit that the appeal of a good QTE is in the cinematics; there's nothing intrinsically exciting about performing a predefined sequence of control inputs.  Okami's QTEs are just about watching plants grow.  How can you get any more dull?  Simple: By using some of the most inaccurate motion controls the Wii has ever seen, thus requiring you to restart each QTE 20 times over.

Speaking of which, the controls make most of the special moves impossible to execute.  One move requires you to swing the Wiimote three times in quick succession - in theory, at least.  In practice, the game won't read a motion if you do it 1 second or less after another motion, and restarts the combo if you take longer than 1 second.  So the only way to get a succession of two swings is if you get a control glitch which misreads a single swing as two swings; three swings simply cannot be done.  I was at this for an hour and finally had to restart the game because it won't let you leave the tutorial until you perform your new move correctly.  Seriously.

Then there's the endless, monotonous, utterly pointless battles.  So long as you don't stay in one place for more than five seconds, you'll dodge every attack, and even the most basic enemies take such a ridiculous number of hits that my arm was sore from swinging the Wiimote after just two battles.  After a while, my arm muscles would actually clench in anticipated agony every time I got caught in a random encounter.  Obviously this wouldn't be a problem in the PS2 version, but the dull repetition of having to hit easy enemies with crude attacks over and over and over would be the same.

When I finally gave up on this game and sold it, I was about 40% of the way through.  Usually I complete every game I play, unless I absolutely cannot manage to progress.  Okami is a rare example of a game that I stopped playing simply because I couldn't stand it any longer.

• 4 months later...

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of grief for this, but Half Life 2. To be fair, I played the PS3 version, which as I understand was less than optimal of a choice. However, the PS2 version of the original was great, where could I have gone wrong with HL2?

Oh yeah... COD4 came out the year before, and suddenly the controls in HL2 (non configurable at that!) just didn't feel natural to me. Shame, because the game itself was really cool.

I think the biggest thing to remember folks, is to go into a game with a fresh and open mind. I purposely avoid spoilers for anything that seems like it is getting a lot of hype, natural or a result of good marketing. This approach has served me well, and I'm rarely disappointed by games or movies if I've left the opportunity to experience it all for myself without having the opinions of others make an impression on me.