Franchises That Need To Put Out a New Game!

• Retromags Curator

Today while at work I decided rather than listening to IHeartRadio in the background.....that I would fire up Youtube and watch someone longplay F-Zero for the SNES.

Well that got me thinking, when the heck was the last time a F-Zero game dropped out? So I went to WikiPedia and confirmed that the GBA games were the last ones. How has Nintendo just sat on the F-Zero franchise for 12+ years? Even a redo of the older F-Zero titles (think Super Mario All-Stars) would be something!

fzerochart.png

So what are some franchises that you are waiting for a new title to finally come out?

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I've never been a huge fan of the Test Drive series, but my brother convinced me to give Test Drive: Eve of Destruction a shot, and damn if it's not one of the most ridiculously fun driving games I've played. It came out in 2004 on the PS2 and Xbox and must not have done very well, because nobody greenlit a sequel. They went back to sleek racing cars. It really is a shame. EoD is such a great demolition derby sim. :)

*huggles*
Areala

I'd like to see a new game in the Parappa universe:  It features an older, jaded version of Parappa who lost his will to believe and dropped out of the rapping scene when Chop Chop Master Onion was destroyed in a rap battle by a new villain introduced in this game.  A perky but confidence-lacking  young rapper wannabe seeks out Parappa, his childhood hero, but finds him a hollow shell of his former self.  But due to an effervescent pluckiness and unflinchingly positive attitude, the young wannabe slowly brings Parappa out of his depression and turns him into his reluctant mentor.  Through a series of song-based adventures featuring a return of franchise-favorite characters like Prince Fleaswallow and the ghost of Chop Chop Master Onion (proving that kick, punch, and yes, even death is "all in the mind"), they both learn that by first believing in each other, they can come to believe in themselves and have the strength to avenge Chop Chop's death in an epic tag-team rap battle finale.

• Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I'd like to see a new game in the Parappa universe:  It features an older, jaded version of Parappa who lost his will to believe and dropped out of the rapping scene when Chop Chop Master Onion was destroyed in a rap battle by a new villain introduced in this game.  A perky but confidence-lacking  young rapper wannabe seeks out Parappa, his childhood hero, but finds him a hollow shell of his former self.  But due to an effervescent pluckiness and unflinchingly positive attitude, the young wannabe slowly brings Parappa out of his depression and turns him into his reluctant mentor.  Through a series of song-based adventures featuring a return of franchise-favorite characters like Prince Fleaswallow and the ghost of Chop Chop Master Onion (proving that kick, punch, and yes, even death is "all in the mind"), they both learn that by first believing in each other, they can come to believe in themselves and have the strength to avenge Chop Chop's death in an epic tag-team rap battle finale.

They already made "Def Jam: Fight For NY", dear. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

19 minutes ago, Areala said:

They already made "Def Jam: Fight For NY", dear. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

Only one game?  Gosh, with a plot that generic and cliched, I would have thought there would be dozens of examples.  :P

Of course, a new Parappa would be the only one out of the lot of them I would actually want to play.

To tell you the truth i don't trust many if any  developers to make a proper sequel to another/their series of games that's been absent for a long time. They just don't care anymore and if there are any that care they get shut down by their publisher and make what they are told. I loved Acclaim and Midway, is everything that they did gold? No but they weren't afraid to make and publish titles. MLB Slugfest was awesome, as was NFL Blitz, Turok was great at one point. Turok in the right hands could be awesome and impressive, but more than likely just another name on a long list of games that a another game needs to be made. At one point we got great games and really great sequels, but now the older titles are being more and more a distant memory. One series that i know that makes people from all genres play it was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Series 1-4, didn't matter if you loved MMO's or RPG's, Shooters or whatever you could pick up a THPS  and like it and have fun. And there were many titles between then and now some good other garbage and then the sequel came out THPS 5, and that went out faster than it hit the shelves. I wanted a new THPS for the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and when it came out, i refused to even finish it. That bad, how do you mess up a simple skateboarding game? Many games so far have had a perfect time to be released, but Sony didn't take the plunge and neither did Microsoft.  At launch PS4 could have had a new Syphon Filter, instead they gave people Killzone, Or Tourist Trophy at launch, Or Legend Of Dragoon, a great RPG to add to the launch as great new ecosystem, Cool Boarders a fun snowboarding game for the holidays. These and many more titles should have been seen by now to add and have Sony have something different than the usual, COD, Battlefield, Need For Speed and so on. You make something a launch title people are more likely to pick it up now when there is a limited selection to give it a try rather than now when the system has many games to chooses from.

• Retromags Curator
14 minutes ago, Kain said:

You make something a launch title people are more likely to pick it up now when there is a limited selection to give it a try rather than now when the system has many games to chooses from.

That's certainly the truth. When the PS2 came out, I remember visiting the Blockbuster in town, and every single copy of every single game was always rented out. It didn't matter what it was: Fantavision, Q-Ball, Madden NFL 2001, Silent Scope, SSX, Evergrace, Eternal Ring, NHL 2001, when your choices were limited, everything had the potential to be a hit. Same with the Dreamcast launch. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Just now, Areala said:

That's certainly the truth. When the PS2 came out, I remember visiting the Blockbuster in town, and every single copy of every single game was always rented out. It didn't matter what it was: Fantavision, Q-Ball, Madden NFL 2001, Silent Scope, SSX, Evergrace, Eternal Ring, NHL 2001, when your choices were limited, everything had the potential to be a hit. Same with the Dreamcast launch. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Except the Dreamcast actually had a lot of good games at launch.

I'm not sure I'm following the logic, though.  If launch titles can find success just because there's nothing else available, isn't that the best time to launch a new non-franchise title?  The whole point of a sequel is cashing in on its built-in fanbase, which can be done at any time.  It's much harder to get people to buy a completely new title, so a system launch seems like a sensible time to try to get some new franchises started.

• Retromags Curator
3 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Except the Dreamcast actually had a lot of good games at launch.

House of the Dead 2, Soulcalibur, and Power Stone are all fine titles. I'm not sure that three games qualifies as 'a lot', but everything else available at US launch easily fell into the 'terrible-to-mediocre' category, or was a sports game (but I repeat myself). :)

And let's not even bring up the Japanese launch of the system, which offered a tantalizing 4 titles: one terrible Godzilla game, one terrible sports sim starring penguins, one supremely sub-par visual novel, and the "No-one-will-remember-me-after-Soulcalibur's-release" third incarnation of Virtua Fighter. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Retromags Curator
5 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I'm not sure I'm following the logic, though.  If launch titles can find success just because there's nothing else available, isn't that the best time to launch a new non-franchise title?  The whole point of a sequel is cashing in on its built-in fanbase, which can be done at any time.  It's much harder to get people to buy a completely new title, so a system launch seems like a sensible time to try to get some new franchises started.

That seems like what Kain was suggesting, and I absolutely agree. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Just now, Areala said:

or was a sports game (but I repeat myself). :)

I've never understood this particular attitude.  I have ABSOLUTELY zero interest in sports (I'm tempted to use the word "hate," but that might be overselling it), but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy sports games.  NFL2K was an excellent game and easily better than anything that launched with the PS2.

• Retromags Curator
4 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I've never understood this particular attitude.  I have ABSOLUTELY zero interest in sports (I'm tempted to use the word "hate," but that might be overselling it), but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy sports games.  NFL2K was an excellent game and easily better than anything that launched with the PS2.

I don't mind sports titles that don't take themselves too seriously (Nintendo's Ice Hockey on the NES, for instance, is hilarious, and there are a few wrestling games I will pick up and play from time to time), but the ones that set out to mimic the actual sports themselves, like the EA franchise titles or the old Sega Sports/2K brands, are boring because I don't know enough about the rules and the games to actually be competent at them. :)

Also, I might take you seriously if you didn't forget that Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Summoner were all PS2 launch titles here in North America, thus completely invalidating your argument. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

• Retromags Curator
8 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.  I thought he was complaining that Sony was releasing new titles like Killzone instead of making sequels to Syphon Filter when launching systems.

Yeah, reading it again, it does seem like Kain was balking at the presence of some sequels and not others (Killzone over Syphon Filter, for example). I think maybe he's interested in seeing some resurrected IPs as opposed to the continuation of current ones from the previous generation. :)

*huggles*
Areala

11 minutes ago, Areala said:

Also, I might take you seriously if you didn't forget that Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Summoner were all PS2 launch titles here in North America, thus completely invalidating your argument. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

Summoner, really? :huh:

I already owned DOA2 on the Dreamcast, so I guess that's why I didn't find a spruced-up port all that exciting (or worth purchasing), and I've never cared for Tekken.  My argument remains valid to me.:)

As for sports titles, I've never seen a game of basketball played (as in, an entire game live or on TV) or played in one myself, but I had no problem playing an entire season of NBA2K1.  I'm not saying that you aren't free to be disinterested (just as I could care less about Tekken), but if not knowing the rules when starting out invalidated a game's fun-factor, I would have never enjoyed a single strategy game, ever.:)

12 minutes ago, Areala said:

Yeah, reading it again, it does seem like Kain was balking at the presence of some sequels and not others (Killzone over Syphon Filter, for example). I think maybe he's interested in seeing some resurrected IPs as opposed to the continuation of current ones from the previous generation. :)

*huggles*
Areala

If only they'd stop it with all the Metal Gears and Resident Evils and just put out another Irritating Stick!  Almost 2 decades we've been waiting!!!  :lol:
Er...

• Retromags Curator
7 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

If only they'd stop it with all the Metal Gears and Resident Evils and just put out another Irritating Stick!  Almost 2 decades we've been waiting!!!  :lol:
Er...

"Do YOU have an Irritating Stick"? :)

*huggles*
Areala

1 hour ago, kitsunebi77 said:

For this thread and in this case it's franchises that will find a way into people's hands that have been gone for too long, at launch great time to pick it up as it reinvents itself and it almost feels like a new IP, but a game hasn't had a sequel in a long time. Crazy Taxi and one of my favorite games Panzer Dragoon Orta, new titles in those series would have been great at launch or within the first year of PS4 or Xbox 1's lifecycle. GTA, COD, Halo, can release anytime as they have a fanbase that is true, but titles that have close to 10 years between them hard to sell people on those sequels when the ecosystem of a new console is already established. And you obviously want new Ip's as they will make their mark and build on it. Mention Syphon Filter to someone under 20? Will they know it. Same thing with Cool Boarders titles that have almost gone the way of the dodo. But when the series has been gone for too long, it's not really cashing in if it's a sequel, movies not really counting as Star Wars makes money be it good,bad or ugly.  Bottom line you want new, but at the same time looking back into into the vault and seeing what you can bring out when it's been gone for a long time be it 10 plus years or several.

1 hour ago, Areala said:

House of the Dead 2, Soulcalibur, and Power Stone are all fine titles. I'm not sure that three games qualifies as 'a lot', but everything else available at US launch easily fell into the 'terrible-to-mediocre' category, or was a sports game (but I repeat myself). :)

And let's not even bring up the Japanese launch of the system, which offered a tantalizing 4 titles: one terrible Godzilla game, one terrible sports sim starring penguins, one supremely sub-par visual novel, and the "No-one-will-remember-me-after-Soulcalibur's-release" third incarnation of Virtua Fighter. :)

*huggles*
Areala

So much fun with Power Stone, and Ready to Rumble Boxing, I enjoyed house of the Dead 2 as well, years later got the HOTD III on Xbox and it came with 2, which was unlockable and that was nice.

10 minutes ago, Kain said:

For this thread and in this case it's franchises that will find a way into people's hands that have been gone for too long, at launch great time to pick it up as it reinvents itself and it almost feels like a new IP, but a game hasn't had a sequel in a long time. Crazy Taxi and one of my favorite games Panzer Dragoon Orta, new titles in those series would have been great at launch or within the first year of PS4 or Xbox 1's lifecycle.

Ah, ok, now I see what you were getting at.  It's possible though, that after 10 years have passed on an IP, resurrecting it could push some newer gamers away.  A new IP that they can get in on the ground floor with might be more appealing to them than a new game in a series that has a history that they're unfamiliar with as it predates their time gaming.

Btw, I loved Crazy Taxi as well, but I have to wonder if a new generation of gamers would be willing to accept paying for a new game that plays more or less the same a single minigame within any given GTA.