Franchises That Need To Put Out a New Game!

1 hour ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Btw, I loved Crazy Taxi as well, but I have to wonder if a new generation of gamers would be willing to accept paying for a new game that plays more or less the same a single minigame within any given GTA.

If variety is the spice of life for you then it won't matter. What about demos? They are free, but people still end up buying those games, and some they don't as it goes both ways, Regardless of a demo, beta, mini game if it's something that interest you you'll get it.  Speaking of mini games, Geometry Wars was a mini game on Project Gotham Racing 2 on Xbox and eventually got re-released on Xbox 360 marketplace and became a huge hit. And it lead to many sequels.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 10:38 PM, kitsunebi77 said:

Btw, I loved Crazy Taxi as well, but I have to wonder if a new generation of gamers would be willing to accept paying for a new game that plays more or less the same a single minigame within any given GTA.

I find this to be such an interesting point. The GTA series has been polished up so nicely in recent years that they've almost eliminated entire genres of arcade like games. It's impressive on a technical level, at the very least.

As for franchises I would love to see a new game from, it's pretty easy for me, although I can't help but get the feeling that I'm forgetting a big one that didn't get its due respect in the sequel department...

-Legacy of Kain. Get Amy Hennig back on the case, and tell her to bring some of that Uncharted money with her. Imagine Nosgoth, looking as nicely as Uncharted 4. Stop drooling on yourself, you know it would be awesome.

-Suikoden. This universe still holds so many mysteries all these years later, it almost seems they left a lot of loose strings to tie up so they would have an excuse to make another one. However, it's been over 10 years now since Suikoden 5, and with Konami's wayward ways as of late... not to mention the disbanding of the team that made the series, I don't see it happening.

-Portal. This one almost seems obvious. But, as we all know, Valve cannot possibly figure out what number comes after 2, soooo...

I'd have to look through my collection. I would love a proper console sequel to Valkyria Chronicles. VC2 was kinda disappointing to me, despite some nice improvements, and I don't believe VC3 was even released in English.

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2017 at 0:07 AM, ATMachine said:

I'd say the Elder Scrolls series ought to put out a new game. Preferably one without "Skyrim" in the subtitle.

Give it a couple more years, at least. They seem to be on a 5 year (give or take) cycle when it comes to new titles in the series. The first two were in the mid / late 90's, Morrowind sometime around 2003-ish, whatever 4 was called came out around 2008-ish, then Skyrim in what, 2012? Now we're looking at ESO, I figure you'll see another game in the main series in the next two, maybe three years.

I've never really cared for them as much as most people, but I purposely avoid them so I can continue living my real life, if that makes sense. I got pretty hooked on Arkham Asylum, I can only imagine how many thousands of hours I could pour into a game like Skyrim... *shudders*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suikoden, definitely. But seeing how Konami is nowadays, that's probably a monkey's paw waiting to happen.

And I'm on the topic of RPGs, I hate what Capcom has done with the Breath of Fire franchise. Whenever I want a new Suikoden, I look at BoF and say, "That could've been Suikoden, so maybe we'll just leave it at V".

On 7/20/2017 at 2:01 PM, sandplasma said:

Comix Zone

Definitely. Such a cool game let down by some difficult to understand gameplay decisions on the part of the developer. Loved the style, never really figured out how to play it though... wasn't exactly intuitive, which almost seems difficult, given that the standard Genesis controller was only three buttons!

1 hour ago, Jie said:

Suikoden, definitely. But seeing how Konami is nowadays, that's probably a monkey's paw waiting to happen.

And I'm on the topic of RPGs, I hate what Capcom has done with the Breath of Fire franchise. Whenever I want a new Suikoden, I look at BoF and say, "That could've been Suikoden, so maybe we'll just leave it at V".

Did I miss something with BoF? I thought 4 was the last one? Wait... no, they DID do a BoF5, didn't they, on PS2? Loved the first three games in the series, heard good things about 4 as well. Hard to say if I'll sit down and ever finish 3 or play 4.

As for Suikoden, that series was always great about alluding to the world it took place in, without ever really explaining it. Perfect way to let your imagination fill in the blanks, or leave the series open for sequels. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with a return to form with the PS1 style. Was never anything wrong with 2d rpgs, why not give it a try again? I'd buy it.

Weird as it might sound, if I'm doing mundane tasks at work or around the house, town themes from Suikoden and Final Fantasy games have a funny way of popping into my head... I mean, you were only controlling the protagonists in those games, the NPC's, that's where the real life was in those games haha!

21 hours ago, te72 said:

Did I miss something with BoF? I thought 4 was the last one? Wait... no, they DID do a BoF5, didn't they, on PS2? Loved the first three games in the series, heard good things about 4 as well. Hard to say if I'll sit down and ever finish 3 or play 4.

Capcom made BoF 6. Unfortunately, they made it into an F2P online browser-based game, for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_of_Fire_6

They will be closing it down soon.

Based on reviews, the game is terrible, so no big loss.  But the fact that Capcom switched to Android/iOS as their premier platform is understandable, as they are trying to appeal to Japanese gamers.  Open up a current issue of Famitsu and mobile games are getting a significant portion of coverage.  Meanwhile, there are several mags devoted to nothing but mobile gaming.  Handhelds still sell well to kids, and hardcore gamers still play their PS4s, but the mainstream gamer in Japan has gone mobile.  And mainstream is where the money's at.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Leathco said:

StarTropics, an original Nintendo IP that hasn't seen any love since the NES.  Insanity as the two NES games were quite good.

Gone are the days (I think) when Nintendo would ever devote any internal resources to developing a new title in a USA/EU-exclusive franchise.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:02 AM, XeCuTioNR said:

TimeSplitters for sure.

That's a good idea, but I think Free Radical is no more, or was absorbed by another company. Not sure what happened with the rights to the IP, but that was a fantastic shooter in an era that was sort of between surges in popularity for the genre. I mean, it followed the Doom and Goldeneye era, but predates the Call of Duty and Battlefield era.

Not sure why Timesplitters wasn't more popular, it felt really good, and the premise was fun.

2 hours ago, te72 said:

That's a good idea, but I think Free Radical is no more, or was absorbed by another company. Not sure what happened with the rights to the IP, but that was a fantastic shooter in an era that was sort of between surges in popularity for the genre. I mean, it followed the Doom and Goldeneye era, but predates the Call of Duty and Battlefield era.

Not sure why Timesplitters wasn't more popular, it felt really good, and the premise was fun.

THQNordic got the right to the series recently, and knowing they have been doing some recent HD remasters of Baja EoC, Darksiders, etc...i would at least take a HD remaster of all 3 games at this point.

16 hours ago, XeCuTioNR said:

THQNordic got the right to the series recently, and knowing they have been doing some recent HD remasters of Baja EoC, Darksiders, etc...i would at least take a HD remaster of all 3 games at this point.

A remaster would be nice. Remember the map creator? Zombie survival mode? Some of the silly weapons and humor? Man... getting all nostalgic here. Good call on Timesplitters.

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 1:02 AM, XeCuTioNR said:

TimeSplitters for sure.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, te72 said:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/08/14/timesplitters-new-game-thq-nordic/

• 11 months later...

Metroid.  Always Metroid.  :)

F-Zero.  I'd even be happy with a collection or remaster at this point.

Ristar.  I'm actually hopeful for this one.  Sega has been doing some great stuff lately, outsourcing their classic IPs.  I hope Ristar makes the list someday.

Chibi Robo.  My kids would be thrilled.

• Like 1

Perfect Dark.  It's a shame that Zero was so unpopular, because it's a good setting with a lot more potential than we ever saw.  Especially in terms of mixing the alien guns with futuristic takes on more traditional weapons.  I want to know what the Carrington Institute developed with all that salvaged Skedar technology, but it doesn't look like it will ever happen.