Fukushima's Newest Disaster Strikes

Areala

• Retromags Curator

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/03/12/national/wild-boars-pose-fresh-challenge-returnees-radiation-hit-fukushima-towns/

Wild boars. Wild boars are roaming around the abandoned towns of Fukushima prefecture. Mass exodus, major flooding, a reactor meltdown, leaking radiation, a tsunami...oh no, that wasn't enough. We needed wild boars.

@kitsunebi77: How on earth do people in Japan get ANYTHING done?

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 1

Some fool brought exotic wild boar into Texas in the early 90's and since then they have migrated to western Canada.  They adapt well to the harsh environments in Saskatchewan and bread two litters of 6 per year.  They destroy crops, harass livestock and kill domestic animals.  The population of wild boar has gone from 0 to 100's of thousands in 15 years.

I've heard stories of these pigs chasing dogs and cats all the way to the house and then smashing the door in and goring the inhabitants.  I enjoy watching pest control in the United States hunt these pigs.  The team is usually just one or two people who hunt at night with night vision glasses with the aid of 5 or 6 dogs.  The dogs are good at sniffing out the pig but even against 5 mean mutts, the pig is an unstoppable force, especially if it has a litter, sometimes fatally wounding a dog or two.  It's up to the bounty hunter to get in there and use lethal force.

I'm curious how they'll handle the boars in Japan... my family now lives in east Texas, they're very much a nuisance down there, as Jake points out above. I had no idea they had migrated all the way up to Saskatchewan though, wow!

Fun part about boars and other wild pigs? Typical hand guns and even some smaller rifles have difficulty killing them with a head shot. That, and they're ill tempered, tough, and powerful. In other words, if the first couple rounds don't kill them, they take a while to bleed out, and will fight until the last breath. There's a reason they used to have spears with a large cross bar on them, it was to keep boars from eating those who stabbed them...