Aorin

Virtual Magazines Shelf

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and a big fan of all the hard work you guys put scanning and preserving all those magazines, thanks a lot!

I'd like to show you guys a virtual magazines shelf I created so maybe you could tell me what you think. Currently it has EDGE, Retro Gamer, EGM and GamePro.

This virtual shelf was created to use in Hyperspin, here you have more info about it:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/13459-magazines-complete-media-pack/

I actually liked a lot the finished work and things like these couldn't be possible if it wasn't guys like you that preserves all those sweet memories.

• Like 2

That's pretty cool.

In order to simulate what it's actually like to look through my collection, rather than a virtual shelf, I'd have to create a virtual "fly to another country, unlock a storage unit, clear away the cobwebs, open up several cardboard boxes and sort through hundreds of mags to find the one you're looking for" simulator. 

Yours is probably better.:lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

That's pretty cool.

In order to simulate what it's actually like to look through my collection, rather than a virtual shelf, I'd have to create a virtual "fly to another country, unlock a storage unit, clear away the cobwebs, open up several cardboard boxes and sort through hundreds of mags to find the one you're looking for" simulator. 

Yours is probably better.:lol:

Thanks! I think storing PDFs and looking for magazines in Windows explorer may be even faster than this virtual shelf, the only advantage using this is that you have a prettier way of browsing magazines :>].

1 hour ago, Depressor said:

Emulator for magazines?))) It's something new)))

Thanks, the flipping page effect is really cool isn't it? It's the Soda PDF Reader.

It reminds me a bit of this really cool Italian magazine preservation site, where all of their magazines can be selected and read from virtual shelves:

http://www.retroedicola.it/index.php?pid=sezioni

You've got to register (or facebook login is also OK) to actually flip through the mags, but the overall feel and sophistication of the site is leagues beyond what we have here.

This is a really cool idea to use Hyperspin to organize the magazines, this had to have taken some time to put together.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:48 PM, kitsunebi77 said:

It reminds me a bit of this really cool Italian magazine preservation site, where all of their magazines can be selected and read from virtual shelves:

http://www.retroedicola.it/index.php?pid=sezioni

You've got to register (or facebook login is also OK) to actually flip through the mags, but the overall feel and sophistication of the site is leagues beyond what we have here.

This is a really really cool site, thanks for sharing!

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

This is a really cool idea to use Hyperspin to organize the magazines, this had to have taken some time to put together.

It really did, the skin for these magazines is ready, but I still have a long way to go to complete the magazines collection, I collected mostly covers to make the skin.

Looking at the above makes me wish Retro Magazine wasn't so expensive. That magazine was put together so very well. I only have 3 issues of it though because of the price.

Yeah, flipping pages is a cute animation for briefly browsing something online, but it isn't the most practical way to read something, so being able to download a file and read it on your dedicated reader of choice is a must.

On 5/26/2017 at 0:17 PM, AgentsGamePower said:

I tried that download link but the file is missing. Is it taken down? I'd like to try this. It looks great.

I just tried it and the links seem all fine, are you registered over Hyperspin forums?

On 5/31/2017 at 1:56 PM, AgentsGamePower said:

Yep, that was it. I see it now. Thanks.

Yeah it needs the register account so you can download the files there.

Let me know if you need help setting it up.