scully1888

Official Nintendo Magazine UK writer here!

Hi guys

My name's Chris Scullion and I worked on the Official Nintendo Magazine (the UK equivalent of Nintendo Power) between 2006 and 2012 (from issue 5 to issue 84). I also worked on the Computer & Video Games website for the last two years it existed (and am delighted to see most of its old magazine issues are on here).

Though I was at ONM for six years, the magazine continued for another couple of years after I left until Future Publishing sadly brought it to an end.

I no longer have my many issues of ONM, but I note that the first few issues are now marked as 'safe' for Retromags so I'm looking forward to someone hopefully scanning them soon and re-preserving the history of this wonderful magazine (and, on a selfish level, ensuring my six years of hard work exists and is available to read once again!).

I now have my own site called Tired Old Hack where I occasionally talk about my time at Official Nintendo Magazine. I once posted this article listing the 100 best/worst headline jokes I wrote when I was there:

https://tiredoldhack.com/2017/01/06/my-100-best-and-worst-onm-headline-jokes/

That's all I had to say, really. Keep up the great work here guys!

Chris

• Like 3

Areala    25,512

Welcome to the forums, Chris! And double-welcome since it's so rare we see someone from the biz publicly announce they were in the biz. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Thanks Areala!

That's interesting to know: don't know why anyone else would want to keep it a secret!

I was really proud of my time at ONM, so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing it turn up on Retromags at some point, and maybe sharing some stories about my time there when it does :) 

kitsunebi77    643
18 hours ago, scully1888 said:

I no longer have my many issues of ONM, but I note that the first few issues are now marked as 'safe' for Retromags so I'm looking forward to someone hopefully scanning them soon and re-preserving the history of this wonderful magazine (and, on a selfish level, ensuring my six years of hard work exists and is available to read once again!).

Sadly it's been a while since we had anyone from the UK willing to help out and contribute scans (since before I joined the site, actually).  But hopefully your plight will be seen as a call to arms and some of our UK readers will take up the challenge.

I can't believe you threw out the mags containing your own work, though:blink:.  I obsessively keep copies of everything I do professionally or creatively. 

6 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Sadly it's been a while since we had anyone from the UK willing to help out and contribute scans (since before I joined the site, actually).  But hopefully your plight will be seen as a call to arms and some of our UK readers will take up the challenge.

I can't believe you threw out the mags containing your own work, though:blink:.  I obsessively keep copies of everything I do professionally or creatively. 

I didn't throw out the mags entirely: when I was due to leave the company I accessed our content archives and saved PDFs of everything I'd written. So  I've got a folder on my hard drive with 1,051 PDFs covering every ONM article I wrote personally, but no full magazines :(