kitsunebi77

What emulators do you use?

kitsunebi77    643

So back in the day I played Medal of Honor Underground, and after meticulously beating every level in the main part of the game with a 3-star rating in order to unlock the final bonus mission, I was confronted with a silly and extremely difficult set of levels featuring dancing dogs standing on hind legs and firing rockets, as well as exploding robots and life-size tin nutcrackers.  I never could beat them.  Until now, thanks to emulation and save states.

Especially since I moved to Japan and left all my consoles in storage, I've depended entirely upon emulators to play console games.  Often the games are ones I own physical copies of, and sometimes they aren't.  But I'm not really interested into getting into a debate on the ethics of emulation.  What I want to know is, if you DO use emulation, which programs for which systems do you use?

For me:

DOSBox is my #1 most-used emulator.  I can't run any of my old DOS games otherwise, since I no longer own a computer with 5.25" or 3.5" disk drives.  And even if I did, I'm not sure how easily I could get them to run.  Using DOSBox correctly has a bit of a learning curve (even companies like GOG don't seem to understand it and sell all of their DOSBox-run games with incorrectly configured config files).  However, once you know what you're doing, it's a pretty flawless emulator that can run pretty much any DOS game ever made.  The official program doesn't support save states, but there are unofficial builds that do (although I've never personally tried them.) 

ePSXe is a really good PS1 emulator.  Using an Xbox360 controller, I even get rumble effects on the games that supported the Dual Shock.  I've never encountered a game that ran poorly on this emulator.

PPSSPP is a PSP emulator that works with varying results.  Some games aren't supported at all, and some games run with weird glitches.  Even so, most games will run, and will generally look far better than they ever would on an actual PSP.  The emulator will bump up the resolution to whatever you set it to, so you can game in 1080p if you like.  Of course, while anything built from polygons will look vastly improved, sprite-based artwork will simply be stretched to the larger size, making some things appear more pixelated than they do on the PSP's small screen.

PCSX2 is a PS2 emulator that I haven't got a lot of experience with.  Some games run well for me and some games have terrible framerates.  The emulator's recommended specs are quite high and my laptop (i7-6500 2.5Ghz 8GB RAM) probably isn't up to the task.  Those with a more powerful desktop PC/graphics card may have better luck.

VisualBoy Advance - It's been a while since I used this, but it is a good one-in-all emulator for GB, GBC, and GBA games.  Never had any problems.

As for the older classic consoles, I hardly ever play those games anymore.  However, when I did, I used ZSNES for the SNES and Fusion for Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, and Sega CD.  I've used too many NES emulators to pick just one, but I don't remember any of them standing out as the definitive choice.

I tried an N64 emulator once (Project64) that worked well, but don't have enough experience with it to comment.  I've never even attempted to emulate a Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, or Wii, so I have no idea how useful those programs are.  (The Xbox is still pretty much emulator-proof.)

sandplasma    1

I personally don't use any emulators because I don't need to but I can see myself using ZSNES if I had to travel for work. It is hard to keep to one game in today's day and age because there is just so much available out there. Back in the day I would spend 8 hours playing Sonic 1 because I didn't have any other games and because I had all the time in the world. Nowadays, as an adult, I have money to buy games but less and less time.