Best Method for Copying Magazine Disks

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

I have a ton of odd disks laying around and I would love to just copy them and put them away. What is the best method today for making copies of disks? I have not copied a disk in over 8 years. Back then I used Alcohol 120% or Nero to make copies. However I know there are many methods to this, do I just choose ISO and walk away?

Here is just a taste of what is waiting :)

magdiscs.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "copy them and put them away."  If you plan on keeping the discs, why make copies at all?

Regardless, I imagine any ISO ripping program would do.  But to play an ISO on an Xbox would require it to be soft-modded at the very least, from what I understand.

• Retromags Curator
Just now, kitsunebi77 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "copy them and put them away."  If you plan on keeping the discs, why make copies at all?

Fire, Flood, Tornado's........Nukes.

Would like to get the digitally preserved so that if one day the disk no longer works....I can still use them.

• Retromags Curator
Just now, kitsunebi77 said:

You'll probably find the discs outlive the hardware designed to play them.  If only there was a way to back up an Xbox:P

Well I plan on scanning the sleeves and disks, and I would like to create exact copies of the data. I am just unsure of any protection on these disks that may corrupt a 1 to 1 copy. The last thing I want to do is waste my time dumping these disks and then have someone tell me that there was a better method.

I will probably sell them to afford more magazines, can never have enough magazines :P

If they were designed to run on a PC, ISO is the way to go.  Since an Xbox can't natively play ISOs, there may be a better way, but I've never tried copying discs intended for console use.

I did copy a PlayStation demo disc that came with an issue of Dengeki Playstation.  I made an ISO rip, and it played fine on my PC using a Playstation emulator.  I have no idea if it would have worked on an actual Playstation or not, though.

Look for groups like Redump or TruRip... Maybe this disk are already dumped. If not - may be you can send them disks and they add them to collections.

If this disks contain only video, ISO is enough for them.

P.S. Last news for console disk Dumps - all dumped in *.cue/*.img/*.sub mode)

P.P.S. XBox like PC, isn't it? If so, use Alcoghol or Daemon Tools or any other ripper in the necessary format.

Edited by Depressor