E-Day

Searchable PDF Pilot Program

E-Day    699

After playing with Acrobat DC at work, and talking to someone in the Creative Services group about Acrobat and PDF quality these days, I decided to start a pilot program to test how Acrobat converts out JPG scans to PDFs with searchable text.

I ran an initial test last month on an Issue of Tips & Tricks that I edited. The file size was significantly smaller, and the image quality was indistinguishable from the original on my monitors, but Acrobat created some graphically anomalies where there were background patterns or something similar. Not great. Then after editing the three Antic issues this month with their boring black-on-white text, I decided to try again. This time things worked quite well, at least for the magazine content. The ad pages are hit and miss, though they are pretty good.

So the whole point of this is to see if there is interest and if it's worth it to release PDF versions with searchable text alongside the traditional CBZ files. These PDFs would not replace the CBZ files; they would supplement them for those who are interested in having a searchable format for research purposes.

These PDFs will have funky graphical issues, which should be fine since the CBZ is there to be the true version of the issue. The files will be located here:

https://www.retromags.com/files/category/227-searchable-pdf-pilot/

Right now there are three Antic issues in there. I will add more issues from various publications to see how Acrobat handles the text from various magazines with various layouts and backgrounds. Those interested can download the files, look through them, and post any problems, issues, and opinions here. Then we'll go from there.

kitsunebi77    664
45 minutes ago, E-Day said:

There is a new searchable PDF file for testing purposes: Searchable PDF test file - EGM Issue 138 January 2001

This one has far more complex layouts than Antic, so it should prove interesting to see how much text was actually converted to something searchable.

You mean you haven't even checked it yet?:lol:

You know, another option to offering searchable PDFs here is to just put up a sidebar in the download section with links to any of the free software programs or online programs that will create searchable PDFs, for anyone who doesn't already have Acrobat.  For that matter, we could also provide links/recommendations for free software programs for converting our cbr files into normal PDFs for any who prefer that format.  With only one person having downloaded any of the previous 3 files, interest might not be high enough to warrant offering multiple formats of all of our files here.

Btw, the Fujitsu Scansnap is capable of scanning directly into searchable PDF format, but I've never bothered experimenting with it.

E-Day    699
1 hour ago, kitsunebi77 said:

You mean you haven't even checked it yet?:lol:

Btw, the Fujitsu Scansnap is capable of scanning directly into searchable PDF format, but I've never bothered experimenting with it.

Nope not yet :D

both my scanners can scan directly to searchable PDF, which I can Test out. It would just mean scanning everything twice, and the scans wouldn't be edited, which i guess it's okay.