Adult games in the 80s (NSFW obvs)

kitsunebi

So as I begin to embark on my quest to create the most complete and high quality database and cover collection of Japanese gaming/computer mags in the world (seriously, I've uploaded 7500 pics so far and I've barely even started), I discover new mags along the way that I'd never heard of.

Today it was Asocom (a portmanteau of "asobi" (play) and "computer."  What caught my eye was the charmingly offensive cover of the first issue, seen here:

large.59bfc8953c8bb_AsocomNo_01.jpg

Researching the mag revealed that although it covered computer games in general, for whatever reason, they decided their launch issue should focus entirely on adult games, despite them being exceedingly difficult to find/purchase in Japan in 1985.  The first issue was such a success, coverage of adult games was included (along with regular games) in every issue.

Now, generally, I have very little interest in either adult games (which are often pretty offensive to western sensibilities - can anyone say rape/incest/pedophilia?) or computer mags from the mid-80s (other than graphic adventures, I can't say I have a lot of fond memories of computer games until about 1988 or so.)  And these are Japanese computer games at that, meaning they aren't even for DOS systems.  And yet, combining the ancient primitiveness of the technology with the naiive primitiveness of the genre of adult games as they were in 1985 made both aspects more appealing than they are separately, and I found myself wishing I could get a hold of some copies of these mags (unfortunately they seem to be too pricey.)

Of course, Japanese computers in 1985 weren't restricted to the crappy 4-color CGA graphics most DOS users were stuck with in America, either.  Looks like it would make for some beautiful scans.

So 80s:

https://img.mandarake.co.jp/webshopimg/01/00/849/0100309849/01003098493.jpg

GALL FORCE!!! (from a1988 issue)  Anybody else remember the anime?  Character designs by Kenichi (Bubblegum Crisis) Sonoda:

https://img.mandarake.co.jp/webshopimg/01/00/857/0100309857/01003098573.jpg

I like the text on the pic of Elza and Rabby..."NO WAY~~!!"

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator
6 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

GALL FORCE!!! (from a1988 issue)  Anybody else remember the anime?  Character designs by Kenichi (Bubblegum Crisis) Sonoda:

https://img.mandarake.co.jp/webshopimg/01/00/857/0100309857/01003098573.jpg

I like the text on the pic of Elza and Rabby..."NO WAY~~!!"

Mmmmmmmmm...!! :-9

Yes plz, more plz, all plz!

*huggles*
Areala