N64 Classic Edition

If and when Nintendo decides to sell the N64 Classic Edition, they will have to overcome 2 hurdles. 

1.  The original N64 controller.  Nintendo could recreate the controller as accurately as they did with the SNES Classic controller although players will have to once again deal with the problematic control stick.  Nintendo could re-engineer the stick to be more durable and it would be great to preserve the original feel of the control but this may add to the cost.

2. Although Nintendo 64 was known for having great party games and fantastic 1st party games, we cannot forget the absence of quality games from 3rd party developers as well as the Microsoft acquisition of Rare.  The overall library of N64 is shadowed by the past 8 and 16 bit generation, still I have made a list of 26 games which only include 1 Rare game and one LucasArts game.

What games should be on this console?

gu8ht6y.jpg

wpyeqcl.jpg

I'd have to assume they'd want Ogre Battle 64 on the Japanese one, at least, since it's the one and only RPG for the system not staring Mario that isn't dog@#$%.

I've never played it, but I've always heard Sin and Punishment is an excellent game.

And so long as we're cheating (with Goldeneye and DK64), might as well put a couple more of Rare's games on there. ( take your pick - Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini)

Also, Nintendo might squeeze Animal Crossing in there, whether anyone wants it or not.;)

And you're fooling yourself if you think there won't be at least one Mario Party on there.

23 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I'd have to assume they'd want Ogre Battle 64 on the Japanese one, at least, since it's the one and only RPG for the system not staring Mario that isn't dog@#$%.

I've never played it, but I've always heard Sin and Punishment is an excellent game.

And so long as we're cheating (with Goldeneye and DK64), might as well put a couple more of Rare's games on there. ( take your pick - Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini)

Also, Nintendo might squeeze Animal Crossing in there, whether anyone wants it or not.;)

And you're fooling yourself if you think there won't be at least one Mario Party on there.

I intended to include Mario Party on my list but forgot and I figured since Microsoft owns Rare, Nintendo would likely not come to a collective agreement regarding royalties, especially with Rare only games like Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini. 

Goldeneye was to N64 that Final Fantasy 7 was to Playstation.  Nintendo will have to pay the dues to both Rare / Microsoft and MGM for the James Bond License but worth every penny to include this influential game with the system.

Even though Donkey Kong is a derivative of Rare's Banjo series, I feel Donkey Kong is the stronger intellectual property.

I also left mature rated games off the list because this toy is supposed to be played by children as well as adults.  If not then I would have for sure got at least one Turok game.

Here is my list. I'm not considering licensing issues:

1. 1080 Snowboarding
  2. Banjo Kazooie
  3. Banjo Tooie
  4. Conker's Bad Fur Day
  5. Cruis'n World
  6. F-Zero X
  7. Goemon's Great Adventure
  8. Goldeneye 007
  9. Int SuperStar Soccer 64
  10. Killer Instinct Gold
  11. Mario Kart 64
  12. Mario Party 3
  13. Mischief Makers
  14. Paper Mario
  15. Pokemon Snap
  16. Rayman 2
  17. Sin and Punishment
  18. Starfox 64
  19. Super Mario 64
  20. Super Smash Bros.
  21. Turok 2
  22. Wave Race 64
  23. Yoshi's Story
  24. Zelda OoT
  25. Zelda MM

On 10/8/2017 at 4:09 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

I have to agree. I mean, DKR, Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark were great. The awesomeness of Conker's Bad Fur Day alone should be enough to make people cry when Rare left. Jet Force Gemini is still on my "to play" list, but I bet it is awesome too.

About Mario Party, they were awesome. But I refused to play because I wanted my controllers intact. I'll wait until somebody invents an unbreakable controller.

• 3 years later...

I don't think that they will do it, its Nintendo and we all know that they are a little backward at coming forward and giving people what they want and even though they must know that gamers are crying out for the N64 classic I just don't see them doing it.

maybe i already posted in this thread, i don't know and i'm not gonna check, but i just don't see how this would be financially viable. So much of the appeal of the n64 is the multiplayer aspect: Goldeneye, Mario Kart, the wrestling games, etc. that i just don't see Nintendo making this. Also, the cost of creating a mini-n64 controller seems unlikely. If they changed the controller, the console loses so much of its identity. If they don't, i can't see a way they can make this and keep the cost consumer friendly.  

and, at this point, we're a few years past the mini-console craze, so i put the likelihood of an n64-mini at around 13.5%.

• Like 1