Search By Game?

TunaCat

Hi everyone, just found the site and love it so far.

Apologies if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find an instance of it via the search function. Is there an easier way of finding all magazine coverage of a game aside from matching up the dates? For instance, I'm trying to find coverage of the 2005 game "The Warriors". I can look at some GamePro and PSM issues from it's release month of October, or the month before, but as you probably know, sometimes previews are/were done a year or more before a game's launch. It's just a super unreliable and time consuming way to search, and I have no real idea what magazines even potentially covered the game. I'm assuming all the uploaded magazines are image files and no text, so probably no way of automating a search function. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a better solution or has any tips for me. Thanks!

The only way it can be searched is if the text of the magazine is searchable.  This can be done 2 ways: either someone types the entire thing out (not gonna happen), or else you convert all of our magazines into searchable PDFs, which would also be a massive undertaking, but possible if you were willing to take the time (though some text might not convert, so it wouldn't be 100% accurate).

Users are encouraged to index mags by entering table of contents information into that issue's database page on our site.  This makes the contents searchable from our search bar and would serve your purpose.  Unfortunately, only a small percentage of our mags have had this information added, even though anyone is free to do so, and doing so earns special privileges. https://www.retromags.com/guides/earning_patron_status.html

As long as a magazine has a section with "In this issue..." you can try this:

"The Game I Want To Find" site: https://www.retromags.com/magazines

You don't have to put the game name in quotes, but it makes the search more specific. If  you put Super Metroid there without quotes, it would also pull in hits with just the word Metroid in it.

When I tried this with your search:

"the warriors" site: https://www.retromags.com/magazines

It kicked back three separate Game Informer entries (145, 150, 153).

Untitled.png

I'm not sure I know what you're asking.  Using our search bar to search for "issues" using "the warriors" in quotes will bring up every issue that has "the warriors" in the content section.  Doing so brings up 11 different mags.  A couple of those aren't relevant, but the rest seem to be.  I'm not sure why you think google is any better, unless you're trying to find sources other than Retromags.  But if google is easier for anyone, by all means, use it.  It's not like anyone at Retromags wrote the software that the site operates on, so you won't hurt our feelings or anything.

The problem isn't so much the search bar, it's the fact that most of our mags have yet to be indexed, so any search is going to provide incomplete results.

Screenshot-2017-11-16 Search results - Retromags Community.png