This Week in Famitsu

kitsunebi

I can't scan my older Famitsu mags anymore, but I thought I'd see if anyone would be interested in a thread showcasing previews of current issues.  If there's no interest I'll stop, but if you'd like to see more posts like this, let me know.

(Interior pages can be clicked to enlarge.  All pages are promotional sample previews made available by the publisher.)

large.5a27af2e2d685_Famitsu1512(December72017).jpg

2017-12-06_06h37_10.jpg

2017-12-06_06h38_40.jpg

2017-12-06_06h39_28_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h40_10_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h40_57_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h41_39_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h42_23_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h43_04_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h43_52_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h45_44_copy.jpg

2017-12-06_06h46_30_copy.jpg

I had the same concerns with that site releasing shit versions of my sites mags.

I have an even bigger beef with that arsehole Jason Scott, the admin of Archive.org blatantly pilfering our scans and not even having the decency to acknowledge where he acquired them from either.

But you know what, the internet is the internet, and if we all took that attitude nothing would ever get scanned and preserved. So while I'd happily punch his lights out if I ever met him, it isn't going to stop me scanning my magazines and releasing them. The web is already full of shit scans anyway. I like to think people visit my site for better versions than some of those other sites.

I think Kitsunebi77 is cutting off his nose to spite his face personally, but he can do whatever he wants at the end of the day. It's his mags, and his time, so if he chooses to want to store ten tonnes of mags in his apartment in preference to a 500mb PDF or CBR file he will certainly most likely have bigger muscles for it. I'm happy seeing the weight on my house foundations decreasing as I scan my mags and drop the redundant print copy in the recycling bin.  :)

2 hours ago, KiwiArcader said:

I think Kitsunebi77 is cutting off his nose to spite his face personally, but he can do whatever he wants at the end of the day. It's his mags, and his time, so if he chooses to want to store ten tonnes of mags in his apartment in preference to a 500mb PDF or CBR file he will certainly most likely have bigger muscles for it. I'm happy seeing the weight on my house foundations decreasing as I scan my mags and drop the redundant print copy in the recycling bin.  :)

I think you've mistaken what I said to mean that I stopped scanning all magazines, which isn't true.  Famitsu is the only one.  And trust me, I've got more than enough issues of other mags lying around to keep busy scanning until long after I shuffle off this mortal coil.  Not that I will ultimately scan all that many, mind you.  To be honest, I find the entire process of scanning/editing to be excruciatingly boring, at no benefit whatsoever to myself, so my output is nowhere near as prolific as yours.  I'd normally rather be doing almost anything else, so the odd compulsion to work on a scan only hits me every once in a long while.  If my house foundations are ever at risk or I just want to clear up some space to stockpile beer, I'll have no compunctions whatsoever throwing the entire lot into the recycling.  I bought them all very cheaply and I don't even play video games anymore, so they mean very little to me.

It is interesting where we differ on our annoyances, though.  I could care less who takes our scans or whether or not they try to take credit for them.  It isn't as if my scans have my name on them anywhere, and the only reason I include the Retromags credit page is because our rules say it has to be there.  Jason Scott is welcome to take all of my scans and release them on archive.org in a folder titled "Magazines scanned and edited by Jason Scott and only Jason Scott, the greatest man who ever lived"...just so long as he doesn't change the content or quality of the scan.  People who download mags don't give a crap who made the scan, so taking credit for it will get you no glory.  But people also aren't going to exhaustively search the internet to determine if multiple versions of a file exist or not (nor should they be expected to.)  If they download the crap version first, chances are they'll never even know there is a better version out there.  It bugs me that crap versions of my files are being proliferated, unbeknownst to the people downloading them. 

It's kind of like how I would feel if I were the guy who made Star Wars, and then suddenly some other guy janked it up and released it as a "Special Edition."  There would be people out there who had only ever seen the crap version of my movie made by that other guy, and might not even be aware that my original movie existed.  Seriously, f#$@ that guy.  Um, wait...

5 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

I like looking through Japanese magazines. What exactly is that ad saying "Dishes in games are very interesting!"? Is that a new game-themed restaurant?

It's not an ad, actually.  It's from a feature.  To be honest, I'm not sure if it's actually about food in games or if it's just parodying an article in a food magazine while applying it to games. 

Hey, it's a weekly.  They put out 1000 pages a month.  Not all of their articles can be winners.:lol:

6 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Its a weekly magazine and they pump out nearly 300 pages a week? That's crazy.

How many of these pages are ads and re-run articles?

If by re-run articles you mean reprints of articles already printed in the past -- zero. 

As for ads, Japanese mags are remarkably light on them.  I can't comment on the current issue, but I just grabbed a random issue off my shelf from a few years ago.  It's 244 pages, 24 of which are ads.

Next I picked an issue of EGM that was the same size (244 pages) and 127 of them were ads.  That's more than 50%, folks.  Kind of embarrassing, really. USA! USA! SHOW ME THE AD MONEY!!!!

EDIT: Also, the EGM sold for about $1 higher cover price.:bag: