Kindles suitable for retromag reading?

jammaman

Was thinking about buying a kindle to use as a reader for the mags on this site. Any issues or should I stick to reading on a PC?

Also, any real drawbacks to converting the mags to PDFs? The resulting file is much smaller so I assume there is a massive drop in quality?

I don't own a kindle, so all I can tell you is that it doesn't natively support .cbr, so you'd have to convert them to .mobi first.

As for converting to PDF, if the file is much smaller, you've got jpg compression set to high and of course the images will be degraded.  Setting the PDF to zip compression is lossless and the filesize should be about the same as a .cbr (which is also a zip format).

I keep forgetting I can't edit a post and meant to give some further thoughts..

I have the Kindle HD 8, and it's fine for reading mags(and comics). Sometimes you'll need to zoom in on certain pages, it's not a huge deal. I usually view the magazines one page at a time, so unless the print is super tiny(or less than great quality), I don't usually zoom in too often.

Finally, there are a couple of other comic/magazine readers out there, but I've only ever used Perfect Viewer or Comic Rack(which is also very good). If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM or reply here. :)