Any scanners in the UK?

Trickster

On 12/02/2018 at 9:49 PM, Trickster said:

Hi Gingerbeardman (great name by the way)! Thank you very much for offering to help.

I of course would prefer for any scans to be up to the standard of retromags to give something back to this community, but selfishly would accept any clean and legible scans.

If you're up for it, there are a bunch of Amiga User International magazines at the Retro Gaming World shop in Stafford. I would buy 10 of them to start with and get them sent to your address. Please message me your address if this all still sounds good to you.

Cheers! :jester:

Before we hook after and order (me a used A3 scanner; you the magazines) are you sure the issues you're after are not already scanned? 

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Amiga+user+international&sort=-date

https://archive.org/details/amigauserinternational

http://kiwis.world/index.php/component/jdownloads/category/88-amiga-user-international

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2018 at 10:03 AM, gingerbeardman said:

Before we hook after and order (me a used A3 scanner; you the magazines) are you sure the issues you're after are not already scanned? 

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Amiga+user+international&sort=-date

https://archive.org/details/amigauserinternational

http://kiwis.world/index.php/component/jdownloads/category/88-amiga-user-international

Hi gingerbreadman,

Apologies for the late reply. I've looked everywhere for the Amiga Action and Amiga User International mags that I'm missing, to no avail.

Let me know if you do go ahead with the order. I can see a number of the Amiga User International mags that I need at RetroGamingWorld, so that's what I'd start with.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

I have temporary access to a fi-6770 which I believe will handle A3 in the adf (and definitely on the flatbed portion - which I am not interested in spending the time to use). I would be happy to scan some mags if someone could point me to a good process "for dummies". I saw the guide under support and, while it is ok, I would be interested someone else's take on it too. I checked out some of your work, kitsunebi77, and it is impressive. You indicated that you would make a guide "one day". That would be great.

What would be GREAT is if all the heavy hitting scanners posted their own workflow guides for all to see. Who knows, a great standard could be put together by cherry picking the best parts of all of them.

btw, I am here because I plan to do the same thing with Guitar magazines. I am trying to learn the best way to do this and don't want to get 100+ magazines into it just to find out I could have done it better with little additional effort. While I am not a heavy gamer, I would gladly do some of the busy work for U.K. mags you cannot get done due to size in exchange for a guide through my journey of magazine preservation, albeit for a different hobby.

Lastly, The only problem about doing the U.K. A3 mags for you would be that I am in Sweden so I don't know about shipping cost to here vs Australia which may just put you right back where you started.

3 minutes ago, scotto10 said:

I have temporary access to a fi-6770 which I believe will handle A3 in the adf (and definitely on the flatbed portion - which I am not interested in spending the time to use). I would be happy to scan some mags if someone could point me to a good process "for dummies". I saw the guide under support and, while it is ok, I would be interested someone else's take on it too. I checked out some of your work, kitsunebi77, and it is impressive. You indicated that you would make a guide "one day". That would be great.

Thanks.  It isn't completely clear to me from your post, but if you're looking for advice specifically on scanning, I've got none to give.  The most important factor in the actual scanning part of the process is the scanner equipment itself.  It's a given that scans should be made at at least 300dpi, though for editing purposes, I only scan at 600dpi.  But beyond that, there's not much you can do to influence the quality of the scan.  A good scanner will make a good scan, and a bad scanner will make a bad scan (the hardware, not the person.)  So a scanning guide should mainly consist of scanner reviews and recommendations, in my opinion. 

Editing is a different matter entirely, and that's a guide I might make someday (I have some advice on debinding, as well, I suppose.)  Editing is by far the most time consuming part of the process, and unlike scanning, is the part where the individual doing the work, rather than the hardware, has the most influence over the results.  The problem is, an editing guide is going to be very software-specific.  So my guide would essentially be a guide to editing with Photoshop CS6, and might not be entirely useful to anyone using different software.

Creating a guide is entirely subjective and depends entirely upon the software you have access to vs that which is being used by someone else with a Fujitsu scanner. No point asking for someone using Quickscan if you are using something else entirely. E.G, Quickscan uses ISIS drivers and allows you to create individual profiles for different paper sizes (A4, Letter or even customer pages sizes for those weird sized UK mags) and allows for bulk scanning whereas TWAIN is essentially a page at a time scanning. 

Then there is the whole editing side of things. Some people like Meppi, or Kitsunebi77 like to edit the pages so they look like a digital copy which slows down outputting magazines but they look very nice. Others like myself, who used to work to similar levels, decided to perform a certain amount of processing only. That way we make a lot more magazines available faster, but they don't like as nice. 

It really depends on your personal thoughts on what level you wish to go to then adopting a plan to make it work for you.

Edited by KiwiArcader

2 minutes ago, KiwiArcader said:

Then there is the whole editing side of things. Some people like Meppi, or Kitsunebi77 like to edit the pages so they look like a digital copy which slows down outputting magazines but they look very nice. 

Hey now...I've never spent 10 hours on a single page (or whatever ridiculous time estimates I seem to recall Meppi giving. :P

But yeah.  Everyone has different priorities.  I imagine 99.9% of the people who download magazine scans would prefer it if everybody churned out magazines faster, even if the quality was slightly less.  For me, I just like making something that looks nice.  I don't really care about the magazines themselves much anymore, probably since I almost never play games anymore (I've literally only played one game so far this year.)  There was a time when I told myself that if I ever had to part with my collection for some reason, I'd try to scan as many as I could as fast as possible and editing be damned, just so they would be preserved.  But now, I'd probably just toss them all in the recycling if it came to that.

I'm mainly a comics guy, and it seems like I'm constantly replacing older comic scans I downloaded years ago with newer scans or digital releases that improve upon the copies I already had.  I suppose my goal with the magazine scans I make is to create something that no one will want to replace with something better in the future.  If that means my output is slow, so be it.

Absolutely agree. Each to their own.

scotto10 needs to work out what is acceptable to him then come up with a plan for getting scans to his desired level. However, he was asking for guides to do so when, as I stated, guides are really dependent on what software, both scanning and editing, that he is using along with the aforementioned levels he is prepared to go to obtain the output he wants. He didn't provide any information on anything other than he can access a FI-6770. I'd wager I am the only one here with a Fujitsu A3 scanner of that model, mine being a FI-5650c, so as far as their use is concerned I might be his best bet...... 

I just created a scanning guide for the Fujitsu Scansnap ix500.  Here it is:

• Using the Scansnap Manager software:
  1. under "save" - select your output folder and file name format
  2. under "scanning" - 600dpi, color, duplex scan, automatic image rotation
  3. under "paper" - automatic detection
  4. under "compression" - set compression to lowest possible (1)
  • Put debound page or pages in the adf.
  • press scan button
  • check every 20 pages or so for scan lines created by dust on glass.  If present, clean glass, rescan affected pages, and continue.

THE END

:)

• 2 months later...