Why do you visit Retromags?

kitsunebi

I'm logged in and working on Retromags for a significantly longer time per day than anyone else, and one of the things I've noticed by periodically checking the list of who is online (as well as the list of who was online during times I'm away from the site) is that aside from the randomly infrequent visitors and the people who only log in to head straight to the download section, there are a great many of our members who log in on a daily or near daily basis, yet never once contribute so much as a single post in the forums, a "thanks" on a download, or even a "ssup?" in the shoutbox.  

That's fine, I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with being a lurker, I just want to know what keeps you guys coming back on such a regular basis?  I figure most people are set to receive an email notification of new releases, so I doubt you're logging in every day just to check for new mags, especially as they're released so infrequently.  Forum activity has been pretty slow lately as well, so I have doubts that most of you are checking in every day in the hopes of finding new posts in the forums (and yet not ever being tempted to reply or post something yourselves).  And much as I would enjoy thinking someone out there was enjoying seeing my daily contributions of images to the site, I sincerely doubt that that's the case, either.

So what is it?  What keeps you guys coming back to the site on a regular basis?

*I realize the irony of my question is that most of the people I'm addressing probably don't read the forums, and even if they do, as I've just discussed, they never post, so a reply to my question is probably not forthcoming.:lol:

• Like 4

To be clear, as someone who posts in the forums and makes frequent (and appreciated) use of the "like" buttons, you aren't exactly who I was addressing, but thanks for the compliment.:D  You're what I'd call an active member, so anyone who is a frequent visitor to the site should recognize your name.  But there are lots of members I know by name who have never posted/liked anything ever - I just know them because I see their name in the log-in list on a daily basis.  Those are the people whose motivations for visiting confuse/intrigue me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I uploaded a bunch of covers because the site is a great resource, but don't really post a lot. Like you said there isn't a lot of activity. Plus this is my busy time at work and I'm always trying to crunch through my backlog.

Truth is the old site I was using as a homepage went away so I started using this one.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I keep wanting to be more active, but I am in one of my downturn periods. I go through cycles where I'll be quite active and motivated, and then not so active and motivated. It keeps going like this, much like pro wrestling and its up and down swings. Part of it is that the forum isn't that active, and I realize that not being as active as I would like contributes to that. Another part of it I think, is when Phillyman drops off the site for weeks or months at a time. When things aren't getting tweaked or fixed or improved, I lose some motivation.

Maybe we can just blame it all on him :lol:

It also doesn't help that it's now becoming summer, so there are a large number of things I would rather be doing than being on my computer :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, E-Day said:

Another part of it I think, is when Phillyman drops off the site for weeks or months at a time. When things aren't getting tweaked or fixed or improved, I lose some motivation.

Maybe we can just blame it all on him :lol:

Phillyman has admittedly been a fairly low-key presence pretty much the entire time I've been a member here (although I assume he was much more active in the past.)

But damn it man, I put in hours EVERY DAY on this site adding or fixing (db/gallery) stuff.  It hurts me to hear you say things aren't being fixed or improved around here (granted, there are some more major/structural problems that do tend to linger on the "to fix" list a bit longer than I'm comfortable with, but I have no control over those.)

I started uploading images on Feb 20 2016 (830 days ago) and have uploaded 10,753 covers/ads to date, which is an average of 13 images per day.

I've been a member since August 13, 2014 (1386 days) and despite being nothing but a lurker for the first year and a half, I've got a content count of 15,775, which averages out to about 11.5 contributions per day (of images,files, issues or posts.)  And that number doesn't even include any edits I did to database pages created by other people (and there have been a lot of those).  Hell, even if I hadn't ever uploaded a single image (thus lessening my content count by 10,753), I'd have a content count of 5,022, which would still put me easily in second place behind only Phillyman (whose content count of over 44,000 is basically untouchable due to him single-handedly creating most of the USA and UK databases way back when.)

So...to all of those who have lost hope:

Let not the absence of Phillyman diminish your spirits.  By my example let me be the beacon that guides you. 

'Tis but a name, this "Retromags."

But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that scans his mags with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England (and Canada) now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That scanned with us upon this day.

:P

• Like 1

I've often wondered if part of the reason the site isn't as busy as (I imagine) it was years ago is because most people coming here are looking for the magazines they read as children.  For most Americans that usually means Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and EGM.  And we've got pretty much all of those issues scanned already (at least, all of the ones old enough to be part of someone's retro nostalgia trip.)  So the people who used to be active have nothing left to look forward to, their enthusiasm dies and they stop posting/contributing.

I had something similar happen almost immediately upon joining Retromags.  I came looking for PC gaming mags.  At the time, we had just a handful.  I checked back, week by week, month by month, and guess what?  Not a single new PC gaming scan.  I quickly realized that 95% of the people contributing to the site only cared about videogames, and my interest in the site pretty much died.  I'm pretty sure my only contribution to this site during my first couple of years as a member was a single post asking if anyone had any plans on scanning any PC Gamers anytime soon.:lol:

Of course, some time much later, I completely lost my mind and started contributing anything to the site that I could, no matter how little interest I had in what I was adding.  Video game mags?  Sure, why not.  Magazines from countries where I can't read a word of the language they're written in?  OK.  Magazines focused on computers or consoles I've never even laid eyes on in my life?  Helzyeah! Maybe I figured if I made the site look busy enough, it would encourage someone out there to scan some issues of PC Gamer or something I actually want to read.  It hasn't happened yet, but maybe someday.:P

• Like 2

I've been here for who knows how many years. Never DL'ed a magazine. Back then I didn't want to DL any programs to read them and had subs to at least 3 mags. Now I'm down to just Game Informer.

I've kept my mags for the same reason I kept the games - to revisit someday. The games have obviously held up better. So I can see myself browsing in the library here at some point. Of course the effort of everyone here is appreciated because as a collector I'm interested in preserving what we can. A long time ago I wanted to help emulation. Problem was the easy stuff was done and I'm nowhere close to understanding the electrical components to help on the complicated stuff.

• Like 1

Haha, Yeah I know mate. Was just kidding around with you.

I do have several PC Gamer USA's and a whole lot of UK issues to scan but I'm kinda trying to clear out my console mags as I don't really like them and just want them into recycling so the A4 scanner is taking a proverbial beating at present. The fact I'd have to debind those lovely mags to scan is also playing on my mind although I wrote off a $80 copy of Automobile Year scanning it the other day so quite why I have a hang up on debinding those PC Gamer's is a wee tad weird right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiwiArcader said:

I do have several PC Gamer USA's and a whole lot of UK issues to scan but I'm kinda trying to clear out my console mags as I don't really like them and just want them into recycling so the A4 scanner is taking a proverbial beating at present. The fact I'd have to debind those lovely mags to scan is also playing on my mind although I wrote off a $80 copy of Automobile Year scanning it the other day so quite why I have a hang up on debinding those PC Gamer's is a wee tad weird right?

Not at all.  I've got a big box of PC Gamers in storage and have never once considered scanning them (don't tell anyone - it's a secret.)  Like you, I find it easier to scan the mags I don't care about (video games), although lately I've had to cut up some PC mags that were donations, which sort of took the choice out of my hands and assuaged the guilt.

• Like 1

Well I'm one of those lurkers.

I registered because I just love to read the old magazines, it takes me back to read about the games and systems I was never allowed to buy.

In my region there weren't any popular magazines that started in the late 80's. I have a complete collection of two popular local magazines that started in 1994.
So those early US magazines really give me joy.

I enjoy this website and the work you guys are doing here is awesome.
The only way I feel I can contribute is by giving a small donation.

Hope this solves some of your questions, cause I'm sure you've seen my name in the who's online list.

Greetings from Belgium.

• Like 2

Mmm, Belgium, interesting !

What were the computer and consoles magazines of this era in your country ? I'm making a list of old computer games-related magazines around the world, and I have nothing from Belgium yet.

• Like 1

The two magazines I have a complete collection of are 

PC Gameplay

It's a magazine based out of Belgium, but also appears in The Netherlands.
It started in June-July 1994 as PC gamepro, a bi monthly magazine. Since issue 6 (april-may 1995) it had to change it's name to PC Gameplay due to copyricht issues.
From issue 16 (december 1996) it became a monthly magazine.

Due to the decline of the PC market, the magazine rebranded itself and became Gameplay since issue 177 (januari 2011), since this issue they stared covering consoles and handheldgames.
I really love this magazine, it came with a cd at first and later with a dvd containing trailers, gameplay footage and demo's till 2013.

The magazine is printed on high quality, glossy paper, they take their work seriously.

http://www.pcgameplay.com/index.html

First issue is still partly black & white, it contains reviews of Ultima 8; Washington & San Francisco scenery disk for Flight Simulator 5.0, The elder scrolls Arena, UFO Enemy unkown, Myst, Beneath a steel sky and solutions to some adventure Games.

Power Unlimited

This magazine is based out of The Netherlands, but also appears in Belgium.
It started in Juli 1993 as a monthly magazine and is still running strong.

The magazine focused more on console games then pc games. It tries to be a magazine with 'tude', a lot of wise-cracking and a very chaotic lay-out.
Lower quality paper, but a fun magazine.

The First edition features Starwing on the cover, with reviews of Starwing (SNES), Teenage mutant hero Turtles (Megadrive), Mario Paint (SNES), Super Mario Kart (SNES) only 6,5 / 10 and more

https://www.pu.nl

• Like 2

My interest is based on whatever retro gaming I'm doing at a particular time.

Like E-Day I go through downturns and when I'm not playing anything retro I rarely visit. But when I AM doing my retro thing regularly I come by a couple times a week for news, new releases, and to check the shoutbox.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I first discoverd retromags back in 2011.  I've been dropping in occasionally for years, just to see whats new.  I rarely logged in.  I haven't had dedicated internet until recently, so hadn't been too active in the forums (why post if you can't reply?).  I doubt highly I was one of the people you are thinking of, because I either don't log in at all, or when I do log in, I check out some mags or the forums. 

I do have a guess about whats going on though--probably some visitors come to check if there is something new or exciting on occassion, and when they do, they are logged in automatically because of their browsers password saving features etc. Outside of that, its hard to imagine why somebody would log on for no reason...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...