Say Adios to Download Limits

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Over the next couple of weeks I will be removing any and all download restrictions from our Download Manager. One of the more challenging parts of running Retromags has always been storage and bandwidth. Last year we moved our collection of magazines and strategy guides to a seedbox and reinstated torrents for anyone who wanted to use that option. Our new seedbox that I created this week can now support HTTP downloads, so I will be removing our releases from our web server over the next few weeks, and redirecting to this new method. If you have been following us on Facebook/Twitter you probably noticed that I stood up the subdomain http://leech.retromags.com/base. Now when our community is downloading like crazy, the forums will not slow down. Another added benefit is now I can scale back the resources needed to run Retromags without ditching the ability to let you guys download directly from us. I will let you guys know once this transfer has been completed. I will also be creating a new guide for how we will handle new submissions once the transfer is complete.

So in the end, EVERYONE will be able to grab our releases.....

• Via Torrents
  • Via HTTP
  • and soon Via Newsgroups

With NO RESTRICTIONS! :)

-Phillyman

• Like 4

• Retromags Curator
2 hours ago, vgmax said:

This is good news. I've been noticing there is very little activity with the torrents... I take that to mean few people even know this site exists.

Almost everyone of the 14 torrents has hit 1TB to 2TB. I think they are well seeded, I grabbed them fresh the other day and it only took a few hours (4) I think.

4 hours ago, vgmax said:

I agree that they are well seeded, but not many people are downloading.

Keep in mind that the site has existed for years and the torrents only contain everything released up until the end of last year.  For the most part, only the newest members don't already have all of the magazines they want that are available in the torrents.  So lack of people downloading isn't important at all - seeders are what's needed to make torrents a viable download option.  I can't use torrents where I live, but it sounds as if they're properly seeded, which means all lights are green, everything is awesome.

3564f4b0338c3cf4285ee94e22b3ecf2.jpg

• Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Keep in mind that the site has existed for years and the torrents only contain everything released up until the end of last year.

Yes, and every 50 new releases or updates will be rolled into new torrents. I think we are 2 new releases away from our first 2018 Torrent Update file :P

• 1 month later...

Man, I can't help but feel this is a well-deserved slap across the face to Kiwi, lol.

Old Game Mags - Sorry, no downloads.

RetroMags - Say goodbye to download restrictions, our Download Manager now has zero restrictions....even for guest visitors!!!!!

Too funny!

I also don't see why making downloads available here makes any difference to how I choose to run my site.

BTW, how many magazines have you scanned for Retromags Trinity? Hmmm ..... I think you are just one of those people that freeload off everyone else's hard work.So really, your view on things is nothing I am going to lose any sleep over.

Have a great day 😑

• Retromags Curator
2 hours ago, Trinity said:

Man, I can't help but feel this is a well-deserved slap across the face to Kiwi, lol.

Old Game Mags - Sorry, no downloads.

RetroMags - Say goodbye to download restrictions, our Download Manager now has zero restrictions....even for guest visitors!!!!!

Too funny!

But we have been serving 95% of our collection via Torrents since September of last year......We just happened to find a way to allow them via HTTP over the last 2-3 months or so.

22 hours ago, KiwiArcader said:

I also don't see why making downloads available here makes any difference to how I choose to run my site.

BTW, how many magazines have you scanned for Retromags Trinity? Hmmm ..... I think you are just one of those people that freeload off everyone else's hard work.So really, your view on things is nothing I am going to lose any sleep over.

Have a great day 😑

I love how you can consistently cry about these "freeloaders". What is it that you're expecting? A site for, by and only populated with those who scan? I just don't understand how you can run a site that *DISTRIBUTES MATERIALS THAT WERE SCANNED WITH THE SINGLE IDEA OF SHARING THEM* and then complain about it when people come to download them. I mean, how many times do we get to scroll past yet another half page "You people suck and I hate doing this..but I'm going to keep doing it" post(all the while Kitsunebi is the only one bored enough to respond)? Sheesh.