EtherealDragonz upload thread - Update 11/17/2020 Famimaga Apr 20 1990

Ethereal Dragonz

1 hour ago, MigJmz said:

can you check the edges o to see if theirs anything cut

Pages 1, 2,, 45, 49, 54, , 62, 80,

I did a re-scan of what I can grab from those pages. 80 has definite loss, there is a rip on the corner, but the missing area is just a light blue color.

https://archive.org/download/GamestApril1991/Mag.zip

11 minutes ago, MkMoveList said:

Now editing: EGM MK2 magazine 3 of 4. Then when I'm done with that I will begin editing MK2 magazine 1 of 4 and 4 of 4 (unless EtherealDragonz is already editing those?). Then I'll go on to scanning magazine 2 of 4.

Nope, I am too lazy to edit. I leave that to younger and more motivated uber-men. 🙂

8 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

cool. Now i need page 35. Its missing quite a lot of the left corner.

This is between you guys, but just looking at the pages, there doesn't seem to be any reason for a rescan.  The only content I see missing are blank areas of the page which could be corrected with content aware fill in a matter of seconds.  If it was missing text or image, that would be different, but blank spaces or basic patterns or lines are an easy fix. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong file, I don't know.🤔  I'll butt out, now.😅

1 hour ago, kitsunebi77 said:

This is between you guys, but just looking at the pages, there doesn't seem to be any reason for a rescan.  The only content I see missing are blank areas of the page which could be corrected with content aware fill in a matter of seconds.  If it was missing text or image, that would be different, but blank spaces or basic patterns or lines are an easy fix. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong file, I don't know.🤔  I'll butt out, now.😅

you might be on a different page this is the page i need re-scanned:

scscsc.jpg

No, that entire page seems to be there in the preview on archive.org.

Untitled-1.jpg

Remember, this magazine is being displayed incorrectly.  It's printed Japanese-style, from right to left, so page 34 should be on the right and page 35 should be on the left.  The image on the left side of page 34 continues onto the right side of page 35.

10 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Most cbr readers have a "Japanese mode" reading function which will automatically display the pages in the correct order when viewing them in two-page mode.

ok it still seems some image is missing. lets see if he re-scans.

44 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

So do i go by page number or merge the image?

Not sure what you mean.  In order to read Japanese magazines printed this way correctly, the pages should be saved in the correct order (34,35,36,37,38...etc) but the cbr or pdf reader needs to be set to Japanese mode or a reverse view mode so that when viewed in two page mode, the pages will display on your screen in the correct order (35,34,37,36,39,38...etc...).

If the pages have been properly aligned in editing, there's no need to merge the images - they will appear merged in two-page Japanese mode.

9 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

heres how it looks now. decent.

Untitled-7.jpg

Probably the best you can do with a mag that hasn't been debound.  It does illustrate the point of why we strongly recommend debinding magazines (it would be an absolute requirement if it was up to me.)  When you can see all of the shadows and distortion caused by the curve of the pages where they're still connected to the spine, it makes it impossible to view the file as a "professional" quality scan, and looks more like a collection of photographs of open magazine pages.  Perfectly fine for reading, but can you imaging paying money for an official PDF that looked that way?

God no.  You should NEVER EVER use the paint function (that's why the cover of that PC Gamer you uploaded looks so weird - no offense.) Sure, it will cover up lots of flaws really quickly, but it also makes the entire page look incredibly artificial and just...wrong.

The white levels can be adjusted, but that runs the risk of washing out the images/text somewhat, so if you do that, I caution you to use it sparingly.  Overly-whitened pages are one of the most common editing mistakes that people make.  Old magazines printed on bad paper will never look pristine.  The goal of editing is to make it look as good as possible, yes, but as editors we can only do so much before our "improvements" can start to become detriments.

10 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

God no.  You should NEVER EVER use the paint function (that's why the cover of that PC Gamer you uploaded looks so weird - no offense.) Sure, it will cover up lots of flaws really quickly, but it also makes the entire page look incredibly artificial and just...wrong.

The white levels can be adjusted, but that runs the risk of washing out the images/text somewhat, so if you do that, I caution you to use it sparingly.  Overly-whitened pages are one of the most common editing mistakes that people make.  Old magazines printed on bad paper will never look pristine.  The goal of editing is to make it look as good as possible, yes, but as editors we can only do so much before our "improvements" can start to become detriments.

yeah I have no idea how to fix that cover of pcg. I mean look at these wrinkles! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TPU3V9NCWx5laSi2Aa0A6GLjWXcR4wTj/view

The metallic finish is something i cant replicate unless i use a filter or something. But for the yellowing I'll just whiten the edges , maybe with a off-white to not make it look fake.

2 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

yeah I have no idea how to fix that cover of pcg. I mean look at these wrinkles! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TPU3V9NCWx5laSi2Aa0A6GLjWXcR4wTj/view

The metallic finish is something i cant replicate unless i use a filter or something. But for the yellowing I'll just whiten the edges , maybe with a off-white to not make it look fake.

If you mean painting the page, it will always look terrible no matter what color you use.

Paint is not a function that a magazine editor uses.

You're welcome to do what you like, of course, but if you're intending on posting the completed file here, then you should never paint the pages.  You can adjust levels, use content aware fill, or even meticulously use the clone stamp and healing tools, but paint is just not an option if you expect the page to look decent.  It's not just the color that looks fake - it literally makes every single thing printed on the page look bad.  Zoom in and look at the text or pictures directly adjacent to a painted area and you'll see that there is not a natural transition between the painted area and the printed area.

I'm curious, though.  The pages in the preview at archive.org don't have such obvious spinal curve and discoloration.  This isn't a real edit, of course, but using the snapshot I took in the above post, I just swapped the pages and they don't look anything like the pages you posted.  See what I mean?

srm592jv.jpg

i straightened the pages and adjusted the corners to have no white gap. I also made a quick cbr to view them in a reader (where the screenshot came from). It uses a shadow effect for the middle crease. Here they are with a 'Increase contrast' Curve. For Testing.

testgamest.jpg