EtherealDragonz upload thread - Update 11/17/2020 Famimaga Apr 20 1990

Ethereal Dragonz

• Retromags Curator

What can be done is linking the the download/purchase page from the Retromags DB. I created a Publisher Download button, it just needs a field to live in. Now that I think of it, it should be "Publisher Download/Purchase" since some publishers have free PDF downloads (I'm thinking specifically of Old School Gamer Magazine).

The Backup magazine's back issues are also all currently on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited subscription service, which makes it significantly cheaper if you want to read them all. It might be difficult to subscribe to the service if you're outside Japan, though.

As for GameLab, while it's true that the magazine ceased its monthly publication in 2017, they still publish 2-3 issues a year as well as books under the GameLab label. The next full issue is scheduled for December, and they just put out a pamphlet mini issue called "GameLab Doujinshi" sold at game-related douhinshi events.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

So what do we want as the consensus here? Do we still want to consider this magazine as in-print from the special issues, which would move the allowed date from 10 years to 15 years?

Yes, our policy for in print mags is 15 years.  "In print" doesn't mean monthly, just that the publishers are still producing product under that name, even if infrequently.  Of course, if they were to offer digital copies, then scans wouldn't be allowed no matter how old.

The only exception to this, I think, would be a one-off nostaligia publication.  For example, Family Computer Magazine ceased publication in 1998.  But when the Famicom Mini was released a few years ago, a special magazine covering the system and its games was published under the Family Computer Magazine name.  In my opinion, that one issue (a retro-branded promotional tie-in more than anything) does not qualify that magazine to be considered back in print, so the 1998 cancellation date stands.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Do you see these on archive?

avg.jpg

Never looked for them before.  A cursory search turned up volume 5. https://archive.org/details/SuperSoftDeluxe10AVGAndRPG The others may be hiding somewhere, but I'm not gonna devote any time looking, so if you've got them, might as well upload them.  It's not like archive is remotely organized or curated anyway.  You could upload the same file 100 times and they wouldn't notice.

25 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Never looked for them before.  A cursory search turned up volume 5. https://archive.org/details/SuperSoftDeluxe10AVGAndRPG The others may be hiding somewhere, but I'm not gonna devote any time looking, so if you've got them, might as well upload them.  It's not like archive is remotely organized or curated anyway.  You could upload the same file 100 times and they wouldn't notice.

FWIW, this copy of volume 5 doesn't seem to be complete - it only contains the section about Snatcher, but the cover lists many other games covered inside.

3 minutes ago, orenronen said:

FWIW, this copy of volume 5 doesn't seem to be complete - it only contains the section about Snatcher, but the cover lists many other games covered inside.

I was aware of that.  But it was the only thing that come up in a search, and it wasn't one of the ones in the picture.  When incomplete issues like that pop up, it's usually because it was scanned for a site only interested in the one game, so those are probably the only pages that were ever scanned, likely by a Kojima fanboy.  The fact that the mag wasn't debound further supports the theory that the entire book was probably never scanned.

28 minutes ago, ml0045 said:

A little late in asking but has anybody contacted the admin for this blog:

https://retoge-mag.hatenablog.com/

To see if they are willing to share some issues via archive or some or venue? I'll ask if nobody has yet.

kitsunebi77 has. That site owner is only interested in exchanging unshared scans privately.

Just now, Ethereal Dragonz said:

kitsunebi77 has. That site owner is only interested in exchanging unshared scans privately.

Yep.  They'll only accept trades of mags that are 100% unavailable anywhere else (and you must agree never to upload them anywhere in the future as well), and you must also agree that anything you receive from them must also never be shared anywhere else in the future.

So that place is a total dead end, in that they aren't interested in magazine preservation, only in private collecting (despite what they write on their blog).

7 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Yep.  They'll only accept trades of mags that are 100% unavailable anywhere else (and you must agree never to upload them anywhere in the future as well), and you must also agree that anything you receive from them must also never be shared anywhere else in the future.

So that place is a total dead end, in that they aren't interested in magazine preservation, only in private collecting (despite what they write on their blog).

Such a shame, so many interesting magazines on there too.

2 minutes ago, ml0045 said:

Such a shame, so many interesting magazines on there too.

This isn't your fault, but I wish people would stop mentioning his blog and drawing attention to it (you're probably the 5th or 6th person who's asked if we've contacted that guy.)  Because what you've got to understand about his blog is that it's nothing but an advertisement of his wares, so to speak.

WELCOME! Check out my blog!  See something you like?  Well then, let's make a trade~!!🙄

8 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

This isn't your fault, but I wish people would stop mentioning his blog and drawing attention to it (you're probably the 5th or 6th person who's asked if we've contacted that guy.)  Because what you've got to understand about his blog is that it's nothing but an advertisement of his wares, so to speak.

WELCOME! Check out my blog!  See something you like?  Well then, let's make a trade~!!🙄

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's more an inventory list than anything. But at the same time, bringing it up also bring attention to the displeasure of sites like this in general.

2 minutes ago, ml0045 said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's more an inventory list than anything. But at the same time, bringing it up also bring attention to the displeasure of sites like this in general.

My personal displeasure is that he's featured a couple of mags I personally scanned on his blog.  I really don't want to bring that guy any extra traffic.

Of course, he stopped featuring my scans after I asked him to include a disclaimer that they can be downloaded for free from Retromags.😁

Hello, I spoke with this guy too, but I got better conditions 😂, not share all things and wait at least one year for share stuff. 

But I am looking for The Super Famicom Magazines and similar, and the problem is that he had all shared magazines plus others that maybe he changed or fron his personal collection. Some of they at cutting in the blind side.

You need somethig that it is not pubished yet for trade with him. He is afraid because japanese laws punishment upload and share copyright content, in fact it is one of the main problem because japanese do not share almost nothing, other is mentality.

I think that it is better and easy if somebody try to get some magazines. I would be great if there are some place where people changes magazines in Japan, but I cannot find it. 

13 minutes ago, Setolam said:

You need somethig that it is not pubished yet for trade with him. He is afraid because japanese laws punishment upload and share copyright content, in fact it is one of the main problem because japanese do not share almost nothing, other is mentality.

This is bullshit.

Yes, magazine scans are illegal in Japan.  Just as they are in the USA and everywhere else in the world.

BUT

1. He obtained all of his own personal scans by paying a scanning service to scan his magazines.  If he was so terrified of copyright law, maybe he wouldn't use a commercial business to scan his magazines?
  2. No one is asking him to upload anything himself.  He's telling other people not to upload his scans to archive or wherever and claiming it's because he could be punished for violating copyrights...but exactly how they could ever be traced back to him is a complete mystery.

13 minutes ago, Setolam said:

Hello, I spoke with this guy too, but I got better conditions 😂, not share all things and wait at least one year for share stuff.

Are you sure he wasn't saying you had to wait a year to TRADE anything you received from him?  Because I still have an email where he explicitly tells me that none of his scans can be uploaded anywhere until at least 2032.😂

Hello, I understand both, but we cannot do anything. The right thing will be that when a magazine become several years old years, it must will be became public in a digital libraries in its countries for not commercial use. But while it cames we can only gather and share it against stupid old laws.

I am gathering The Super Famicom Magazine, because my budget is limited and I like Super Nes, I buy usually for suruga-ya or in auctions, I will share if I can but it will take time. By the other hand I do not know why when I scan the page is not perfecly in a rectangle and I must to fix, that it take time 🙄.

Sorry Ethereal Dragonz for put so much garbage in your post. 😅 and thanks for share.

I fixed The Super Famicom 1995 No.23 cover if you want Kitsunebi you can change with retromags picture.

You can take for my twitter 

Thank you.

PD: If anybody want to buy some japanese magazine only tell it, I can trade and scan it, but if it not super famicom or related it can take time scan 🤔. I just tell if somebody needs some magazine that there are in japan shop, we can try to get it. Of course I only will buy The Super Famicom issues begins for cheaper one others you will need pay it.

1 hour ago, Setolam said:

I am gathering The Super Famicom Magazine, because my budget is limited and I like Super Nes, I buy usually for suruga-ya or in auctions, I will share if I can but it will take time. By the other hand I do not know why when I scan the page is not perfecly in a rectangle and I must to fix, that it take time 🙄.

I have The Super Famicom #1 in excellent condition. I still need to donate a box of old magazines to this site but I need to wait until I can get to my parents place to grab some other old items and ship everything together.

My personal scans suck, so I want to make sure what I am sending in is done right :-).

2 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

My personal scans suck, so I want to make sure what I am sending in is done right :-).

In that case, you may want to at least debind them yourself before shipping them off.  Unless you don't mind having a guillotine cutter slice away part of every page.

When it comes to reading, the scans being released at RM are fine.  But sadly, most of them are not of a good enough quality to use for uploading advertisements to our own galleries, since too much of the page is missing.  It's so weird, we have all these strict scanning and editing rules, but for some reason "don't cut part of the page off and throw it in the garbage before scanning it" isn't one of them.