EtherealDragonz upload thread - Update 11/17/2020 Famimaga Apr 20 1990

Ethereal Dragonz

I was blaming all of the distortion and shadowing on the scan!  Turns out it was just your cbr reader! 😂

I didn't know anyone would actually want page curvature in their scans.  What a weird option.  I guess it's kind of like an emulator that has a filter to make the video look really blurry and distorted to simulate ancient crappy CRTs.

17 hours ago, MigJmz said:

Alright sorry to keep bothering you but pg 79 seems to be missing some image because its scanned half way up! Can you rescan?

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. Kitsunebi77 is right, the white block is the scanning bed that was not cropped out. However I have done a re-scan with most of the bed removed:

https://ia801508.us.archive.org/9/items/GamestApril1991/Scan79.jpg

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Okay, this is the first of the #notmyscans series.

This is issue #9 of Famimaga from May 1990. This was retrieved from the Perfect Dark file-sharing service.

...not a great place to go looking for magazines, but I have a few items I was able to retrieve.

I think you forgot the link.😅

At any rate, keep the Famimaga's coming.  It means I don't have to scan mine.😁

9 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Okay, this is the first of the #notmyscans series.

This is issue #9 of Famimaga from May 1990. This was retrieved from the Perfect Dark file-sharing service.

...not a great place to go looking for magazines, but I have a few items I was able to retrieve.

Periodically check PD. You might find more. The Japanese don't release many scans though.

7 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Yeah I just update the first post. I should follow your format.

Yeah, the problem with editing a post is that it doesn't bump the thread, show up in the new replies sidebar, or notify anyone following the thread.  So you're basically just posting like a sneaky ninja.

Sneaky_167785_1681632.jpg

By the way, I find the description you've copy/pasted a bit misleading, particularly the sentence "The company only published Final Fantasy books during the early NES era."  I realize the quote came from a Final Fantasy website, so their entire description is really only about how it directly pertains to Final Fantasy, and is perhaps more of a description of the magazine's publisher rather than the magazine itself, but still...  Family Computer Magazine began publication 2 1/2 years before Final Fantasy even existed, so....like I said, it sounds a little misleading.  Personally, I'd cut out all references to Final Fantasy and strategy guides in that description and keep it to information relevant to the actual magazine.

All other formats are simply corruptions of the original data, so it doesn't really matter if those never show up.  The file that was uploaded is the same one available to download.  Of course, if the file ever DOES derive, it will have the benefit of having a browseable preview.

This isn't confirmed and is only my speculation, but Ethereal Dragonz used the word "Nintendo" several times in his description.  In the past, the only times I've ever had a file not derive were if it had the word Nintendo in the title or description.  Those items got flagged for admin approval, which never came, even months later.  Again, this is just a theory, but the Internet Archive has been confirmed to have received takedown notices from Nintendo's legal department in the past (over issues of Nintendo Power which originated at Retromags, no less), so it's possible that they flag things whenever the word Nintendo pops up, which sometimes get approved, and sometimes don't.

Or it could just be that their software is total shite.  It's 50/50 odds I guess.😋

5 hours ago, gingerbeardman said:

I just downloaded it and my CBZ viewer (Simple Comic) would not view the file.

It seems to be a 7z so the file extension should be CB7 not CBZ.

Nice detective work, and all's well that ends well.

Not every CBR reader will read CB7 files, though, so it's better to just unzip and re-zip/rar it to be safe.

Sadly it's been scanned without removing the staples, so I won't be adding any of the ads to our site, but it's a welcome find, nonetheless.

7 hours ago, gingerbeardman said:

I just downloaded it and my CBZ viewer (Simple Comic) would not view the file.

It seems to be a 7z so the file extension should be CB7 not CBZ.

So, that could also be the reason.

In all of my previous uploads to the service, I used the same procedure. I take all of the images, put them into a zip file and then rename the zip file to .cbz

I can read the .cbz on my machine as normal (With CDisplayEX) and until these last two uploads, they displayed the preview image and created a _scandata.xml