EtherealDragonz upload thread - Update 11/17/2020 Famimaga Apr 20 1990

Ethereal Dragonz

• 2 weeks later...

Update 9/18 - Added Xbox Nation 8 June 2003

Nothing special this time, just needed to make some room on my shelf. I have a few Xbox Nation magazines to upload.

I have a few interesting items coming in. Two Tech-Gian issues and The Super Famicom #1. I'll take my time scanning the Super Famicom issue.

• Like 2

I figured out how to change the start page for each item. There is a file called _scandata.xml that allows you to set a <pageType>Title</pageType> value on the page you want the preview to start on.

By default, Archive.org uses an OCR system to attempt a self-identification of the title page, which has usually turned out wrong in my case.

What I have not figured out yet is how to get the thumbnail to re-index on the site. It continues to use the old one even after changing it.

EDIT: Looks like I was able to get the thumbnail to re-index, it just takes several hours. On the edit metadata page, scroll to the bottom where it lists __ia_thumb.jpg and on the dropdown, select 'Item Image'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Added Xbox Nation July 2004.

I have five more of these and then my last magazines are all interesting oddities.

As I look at the cover, two things go through my mind.

1. Eventually, I'm gonna have to start downloading these things so I can fix up the covers and add them to the site.  Luckily, the part of the cover that has been torn away by the address label can easily be replaced in photoshop.  If there are others where the label tore away text or more complex images, however, well...
  2. It hit me how great it is that Japan doesn't have magazine subscriptions.  So there will never be a Japanese mag with an address label or damage from the removal of a label.  Repairing cover damage is ridiculously time-consuming as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Added Flux Magazine #1 from September 1994.

The cover has one of the most misleading statements I have seen on a game magazine. It says there is a Mortal Kombat II home edition preview, but the actual content is a single paragraph with a producer for the home edition and screenshots of the arcade version 🤨.

• Like 1

I

On 11/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Added Flux Magazine #1 from September 1994.

The cover has one of the most misleading statements I have seen on a game magazine. It says there is a Mortal Kombat II home edition preview, but the actual content is a single paragraph with a producer for the home edition and screenshots of the arcade version 🤨.

I bought Flux #1 when it first hit the shelves in the 90s. The MK2 interview was the only reason I bought it. It was the first announcement I had heard that MK2 was coming to home consoles, at the time I was a naive little kid not being sure if MK2 would ever come to home consoles so I was floored about the great news.

And Flux was a great magazine that stood apart from the others. I did enjoy the interviews with game developers, comic book artists, and musicians. I really thought it was a cool magazine. Like one person said, it was so MTV.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:31 PM, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Uploaded the Official Mortal Kombat II Magazine from 1994. I have issues #1 and #4. I am still trying to find 2-3 somewhere.

I have the entire collection. Since you've already scanned #1 and I assume you're already underway scanning #4, I'll take care of 2 and 3. I already have #3 scanned and I just need to edit it. #2 remains to be scanned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MkMoveList said:

I have the entire collection. Since you've already scanned #1 and I assume you're already underway scanning #4, I'll take care of 2 and 3. I already have #3 scanned and I just need to edit it. #2 remains to be scanned.

That would be awesome! Kitana is my bae.

I just uploaded issue #4 here: https://archive.org/details/MortalKombatIIMagazine4