EtherealDragonz upload thread - Update 11/17/2020 Famimaga Apr 20 1990

Ethereal Dragonz

8 minutes ago, godane said:

You may want to look for magazine scans that on here: https://retoge-mag.hatenablog.com/

I figure they maybe on perfect dark p2p but i can't get that to work really on windows xp virtualbox. That guy has posted scans of other magazines from here and retrocdn , and others so i figure maybe you can find the original cbr/cbz files. Thanks for all the scans you have found so far.

While it's true that the owner of that blog takes files from us and other places (he's posted pictures of a few mags I scanned myself), the majority of his articles cover mags he obtains through private trading.  When contacted about sharing the magazines he covers in his blog, he will only agree to trade magazine for magazine, and only under the stipulation that any magazine received from him can never be posted anywhere online (since he would then be unable to use that magazine as leverage in further future trades).  Furthermore, you have to agree that whatever mag you offer to give to him in trade will also never be posted online at a future date (since that would invalidate the "worth" of the trade.)  Ironic that a blog dedicated to celebrating old magazines being digitally preserved is so selfishly committed to keeping those preservation efforts locked away.  So sadly, most of what's on his site that wasn't scanned by us is being purposefully kept unavailable, even on p2p.

Thats really suck and to me is very odd. Anyways i hope maybe he can search some of magazines there to find some of them out there.

Anyways i have magazine of Comptiq 183 i found on a pc engine forum (i think). The only one i could find. I also found like 8 login magazines from the 1990s. Will be upload them soon.

Link to pdf: https://archive.org/details/Comptiq_Issue_183_1998_05_Kadokawa_Shoten_JP

cover.thumb.jpg.303e8a77d7654c41fa018cf40c6435cf.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I think I own that issue of Comptiq.  I bought a box of around 50 issues real cheap a while back.  Unfortunately, by that point, Comptiq had gone from my favorite Japanese magazine ever (early 80s through mid 90s) to a Dengeki G's Magazine clone that wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.  Although, I suppose it isn't so much the magazine's fault as it was the fault of the Japanese game industry, which by that point had all but ceased development of anything but visual novels for PCs.  Left with no actual computer games to cover, they had no choice but to become yet another magazine full of glossy pictures of anime girls.  YAWN.

2 hours ago, godane said:

You may want to look for magazine scans that on here: https://retoge-mag.hatenablog.com/

Yeah, Kitsunebi77 sent me that site about a week ago. Unfortunately I did not find anything on Perfect Dark or elsewhere from there.

It's painful because he has a lot of good content from my era of particular interest.

16 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Yeah, Kitsunebi77 sent me that site about a week ago. Unfortunately I did not find anything on Perfect Dark or elsewhere from there.

It's painful because he has a lot of good content from my era of particular interest.

Well, all you have to do is buy some magazines he wants, scan them, trade them, and never ever publicly release anything you either personally scanned or received in trade.  You know, basically be a selfish bastard. 

That blog irks me because it's the antithesis of everything we stand for.

1 hour ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Also which of you nerds (j/k) flagged the eroge magazines with the [no-preview] tag? 🤣

Considering how many people archive.org has on salary (not to mention hourly employees), it's always possible that someone around there was actually doing their job.  But then again, allowing any magazines of any kind to be uploaded in defiance of the law would suggest that they don't take those jobs all that seriously.  So you're probably right that it was some busybody (although there may likely be rules in place against adult material being viewable on the cover page).

I don't usually see a lot of brand new mags being uploaded though.  I'm personally against it and adhere to the same rules regarding dates as we do at Retromags, but you're free to do as you wish.  Hopefully uploading magazines that came out a few days ago and are still very much on sale in stores won't bring your account any unwanted attention, since it would be a shame if the older stuff you've uploaded got removed.

8 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

You're right. I got a bit overzealous with the Famitsu's. I have removed that file.

With Famitsu, every issue from March 26 2015 (i.e. the past 224 issues) is still being sold via Bookwalker, Kadokawa's digital bookstore.  So I'd personally consider that the safest cutoff date.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Additionally added BugBug December 2003: https://archive.org/details/bugbugdecember2003 and 20+ other things.

I saw that the site you credited getting this from has uploaded my Tech Gian scans to their site.  At least they left the Retromags credit page in place.  I sometimes wonder when people do that if it's out of respect or because they're too lazy to notice it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I saw that the site you credited getting this from has uploaded my Tech Gian scans to their site.  At least they left the Retromags credit page in place.  I sometimes wonder when people do that if it's out of respect or because they're too lazy to notice it.

Or maybe both.

Fun Fact : Some of the retromags scans even end up in TOSEC-PIX when people update them sometimes. But this is years ago cause i only think this happened with GamePro, EGM, and Nintendo Power. This only happen for scans before 2012.

1 minute ago, godane said:

Or maybe both.

Fun Fact : Some of the retromags scans even end up in TOSEC-PIX when people update them sometimes. But this is years ago cause i only think this happened with GamePro, EGM, and Nintendo Power. This only happen for scans before 2012.

I understand why people upload mirrors of files that originate on temporary filehosts like zippyshare or whatever.  Hell, that's why I mirror stuff on the Internet Archive.  But the way people mirror our files in a million different places, you'd think Retromags hasn't been an established pillar of the scanning community for the past 15 years and people are expecting us to shut down any minute.  We don't even require registration to download anymore - yet still people upload our files everywhere else. 

Maybe they don't like us and figure if they create a site that mirrors all of our content they can still enjoy the fruits of our labor without having to suffer our presence?😅

6 hours ago, gingerbeardman said:

You're doing stellar work here! Many thanks. 

Any issues of Hi Score on PerfectDark?

Sadly, no. At this point I have searched for both Japanese and English versions of most magazine titles, including some misspellings. I will need to retire Perfect Dark for awhile.

The last items I have left from here are one final Famimaga and I am trying to sort through a number of PC magazines. Most appear to be on Archive, but there may be one gem in there.

• Thanks 1

Sadly, no. At this point I have searched for both Japanese and English versions of most magazine titles, including some misspellings. I will need to retire Perfect Dark for awhile.

have you checked for artbooks or guidebooks? Also, being P2P, means that what you can find depends on who is onine at that moment right? It's a bit like a lottery.

The last items I have left from here are one final Famimaga and I am trying to sort through a number of PC magazines. Most appear to be on Archive, but there may be one gem in there.

You may want to search for the year in japanese like 1994年. Or year and month like 1994年05月. I do this when searching for old japanese tv shows on youtube cause there is alot of on there. May work with perfect dark to find magazines.

49 minutes ago, godane said:

You may want to search for the year in japanese like 1994年. Or year and month like 1994年05月. I do this when searching for old japanese tv shows on youtube cause there is alot of on there. May work with perfect dark to find magazines.

Yeah I have tried both of those approaches. The remaining files that I see available are items that are preserved already.

Guys guys guys.  Let's not be backseat drivers.  If you think you can do a better job searching, there is literally nothing stopping you from finding a tutorial on setting up a perfect dark account and doing it yourself.  So let's thank Ethereal Dragonz for everything he took the time and effort to both find and share.

And also, I know I've said it a million times before, but remember - Japanese Internet sucks.  From web design to breadth of content, it can't hold a candle to the .com side of things.  It's designed for mobile users since that's how the vast majority of people access it.  Large files of any sort are a rarity.  Perfect Dark has a really cool-sounding name that evokes a sense that everything you could ever want is there, hiding in shadows waiting to be discovered, but I promise you, it isn't.  It's not the Pirate Bay (or whatever the current torrent king is).  The community is MUCH smaller than that.  And there is definitely a much stronger fear/aversion of piracy amongst the Japanese than there is in the West, so fewer people are going to be willing to share things anyway.

There might indeed be some things that have been missed.  But probably not much.  So again, thanks E.D.!

Now if only we could do something about the community of Japanese scan traders keeping their much larger collections privately traded like digital currency.  They're the real impediment here.  The scans exist, but the people who have them have a vested interest in NOT publicly sharing them that has nothing to do with ethics and everything to do with greed.  If only they realized that if everyone shared everything, there would be no need to trade things at all...

• Like 2

So i found something else that is interesting when searching for gamelab scans. There is a some sort of magazine called "Backup Utilization Technique" that has 40 pdf issues of it on 2 dvds. Here is the link: https://www.sansaibooks.co.jp/info/伝説のハッカー雑誌『バックアップ活用テクニッ.html

here is the translation i got from google:

All 40 PDFs published by Sansai Books “Backup Utilization Techniques” will be recorded on 2 DVDs and will be sold as a whole volume set from July 25th.

“Backup Utilization Technique” was born in 1985 as a separate volume of “Radio Life”. By 1994, when Game Lab was first published, 40 volumes, including a summary, were published as media specialized in the utilization of personal computers and home-use game consoles. This booklet is now available for subscription at each e-book store.

In addition to that, from July 25, “Bacatsu” will be sold as a “whole volume set” containing 40 PDFs on 2 DVDs (optionally, a USB memory containing the same data can be added).

Maybe some magazines have dvd sets of there archives for sell that we can buy. Anyways thanks for the issues you found.

You can just buy downloads of the issues individually for 528 yen apiece if you don't want to commit to the whole 40 issue purchase.  Of course, since the publisher is selling them, they should not be shared or uploaded anywhere and we would ask that if such links should ever appear, they should not be discussed anywhere on Retromags as they would violate our rules and mission statement.

I personally have zero interest in these particular mags, but I commend the efforts of the publisher to make them available.  Anyone interested in the mags should support the publisher and purchase their own copies.  If publishers see there is profit to be made selling back issues, maybe one day sites like this one won't be necessary and we can all get our free time back.  Fingers crossed.🙂

• Like 1