Playstation Classic

B1astPr0cessing

Sony finally released the full lineup.  Any thoughts?  Some obvious classics like FF7, RE1 and MGS but seems the Japanese lineup edges it out a little if you were a fan of the old Squaresoft games.  Hopefully the system gets cracked open like the NES/SNES did and we can add our own Parasite Eve, Saga Frontier and whatever else we want.

8 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

It might just be me that feels this way, but I think old 2D games age better than the first generation 3D games. I much prefer remasters for this era than straight ports.

THIS.

3D games on the PlayStation are the ugliest games ever made in the history of gaming.  I know more than one person who has no trouble playing older 2D games but can't play 32-bit 3D games because of how poorly the graphics serve the gameplay.

Anyway, since it wasn't included in the OP for some reason, here's the list of NA/Europe games (regional exclusives are in bold):

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

And here's what they're getting in Japan

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Devil Dice (aka XI [sai])
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • G Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Persona
  • Resident Evil
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier
  • Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
  • Tekken 3
  • Wild Arms

Personally, I think both lists are pretty poor.  Metal Gear Solid, RE1, and FF7 are the only must-have games on the lists (and I don't even like FF7).  The rest run the gamut from mediocre to good, but it certainly doesn't come anywhere near making me think "WOW!  The PlayStation was just overflowing with all-time classic games!!!" 

At least Japan doesn't get anything to get jealous over much, unless you like the two shooters, I guess.  Parasite Eve is only a "good" game, not a classic (sorry, Areala), and Saga Frontier was poorly received in America as I recall (never played it, myself). 

These lists seem like a "Best of PlayStation, Volume One" kind of list, where they're holding back a bunch of the best games to spread them out for inclusion in volume 2, 3, 4....

So here's my personal PS1 list, in no particular order.  There are lots of great games missing, I'm sure, but certain genres don't appeal to me, and certain games I've never played, so...it is what it is - a personal list:

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Vandal Hearts
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Grandia
  • Parappa the Rapper
  • Final Fantasy VII (yes, I said I don't particularly like it, but I can't deny it deserves a spot)
  • Medal of Honor
  • Medal of Honor Underground
  • Ape Escape
  • Klonoa
  • Tomba!
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon
  • Tactics Ogre
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (OK, I only ever played the Dreamcast version, but it was tons of fun and way before the series beat itself to death)
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
  • Colony Wars
  • Silent Hill
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

I wanted to add Wing Commander III because I loved the hell out of that game at a time when my PC couldn't handle it, but I have to admit that it's crap compared to the PC version (even if it does have some exclusive content).

7 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

3D games on the PlayStation are the ugliest games ever made in the history of gaming. 

Yeah during the Nintendo 64/PlayStation through GameCube/PS2 era I entirely switched to PC gaming because those early 3D console games were such a mess I would get a headache from playing them. I remember Turok Dinosaur hunter on N64 I wanted to vomit after playing the first couple of levels. I couldn't get into Golden Eye either.

I guess I was spoiled playing Quake on those early OpenGL 3D cards.

4 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Yeah during the Nintendo 64/PlayStation through GameCube/PS2 era I entirely switched to PC gaming because those early 3D console games were such a mess I would get a headache from playing them. I remember Turok Dinosaur hunter on N64 I wanted to vomit after playing the first couple of levels. I couldn't get into Golden Eye either.

I guess I was spoiled playing Quake on those early OpenGL 3D cards.

Yep, you sound exactly like those friends I mentioned.  Personally, I've never been one to care much about graphics, so I have no problems playing console games from the eras you mentioned (in fact, I've never actually played a console game newer than the Gamecube/PS2/XBox era).

But I still think a lot of PS1 games have their gameplay hampered by the hardware's inability to adequately render 3D. 

I wouldn't ever claim to have been spoiled by Quake, though.  Maybe I would feel differently if I weren't strictly a single-player gamer, but I thought Quake was one of the most boring FPS I've ever played, and the visuals were sort of famously drab, so I'm not alone in disliking its appearance, either.  Still, at least the hardware running it was up to the task of doing so, so I can't fault it for overextending itself like so many console titles back then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
On 10/31/2018 at 11:06 PM, Ethereal Dragonz said:

It might just be me that feels this way, but I think old 2D games age better than the first generation 3D games. I much prefer remasters for this era than straight ports.

I didn't like how the 3D games looked when they first came out, so you can imagine how I feel about them now. The move to 3D is what caused me to lose interest in gaming. Even now, apart from racing games I would sooner play a 2D game than a 3D one.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the game list for the PlayStation Classic, and I can see why. To be fair, I was not excited about this thing even before the list came out. I owned a PSone back in the day, and I enjoyed it a lot. But it's not a console I feel the desire to revisit. I spent most of my time with it playing through the three Final Fantasy games that came out for it, and there is no way I have the time or would want to spend the time playing through all of them again. I think I sank 93 hours into Final Fantasy VIII alone.

I wanted to get behind the PS Classic, but after the full line-up was announced I decided I probably wouldn't buy one.  MGS without dual shock is weak, plus, it's playable so many other ways. I would have preferred Final Fantasy VIII, or IX over VII. Resident Evil 2 is far superior to RE:DC, imo, and those opening door loading screens between rooms put me to sleep 20 years ago. Though it feels like I've started off complaining, the games I've mentioned so far are the highlights of the PS Classics game line up for me! Of the remaining games only Jumping Flash, Persona, Wild Arms and Ridge Racer Type 4 seem even mildly interesting. Fact is, same as many others, RPG's are the main reason I owned a Playstation in the first place, and I would liked to have seen more of them on the PS Classic. I realize RPG's aren't for everyone and so including a bunch of them would have been unrealistic.  In any case, here's a list that somewhat compromises my RPG appetite to include other genres and would have more than made me pay Sony's asking 100...

1. Castlevania: SOTN

2. Final Fantasy Tactics

3. Final Fantasy IX

4. Dragon Warrior 7

5. Klonoa

6. Tomba

7. Colin McRae's Rally

8. Ace Combat 2

9. Command & Conquer

10. Space Griffon VF-9

11. Suikoden

12. Tail Concerto

13. Hot Shots Golf 2

14. The Legend of Dragoon

15. Medal of Honor

16. MegaMan X6

17. Medievil

18. Tomb Raider

19. Wipeout XL

20. Resident Evil 2

I would pay the entry price for kitsunebi77's "personal" list as well. Its fine. Heck, I'd pay for the Japanese list if it was the US line-up. But the actual U.S. line-up?--no thanks!

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Wipeout being absent makes no sense, but Gran Tourismo works require ridiculous licensing again for all the cars, so I'm not surprised by that. 

These licensing deals for cars in games and players shouldn't expire. They should be fine so that the games can be re-released in the future. 

i think this discussion really goes to show how deep the PSX library was. Everybody has their dream list, and while there are crossover games, each list definitely stands on their own. Contrast this with the unconfirmed n64 classic, and everybody's list would look virtually identical. and i say that as someone who never really dived into the PlayStation all that much but loved the n64.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i think this discussion really goes to show how deep the PSX library was. Everybody has their dream list, and while there are crossover games, each list definitely stands on their own. Contrast this with the unconfirmed n64 classic, and everybody's list would look virtually identical. and i say that as someone who never really dived into the PlayStation all that much but loved the n64.

The N64/PSX libraries definitely proved the point that even if you're the best game developer in the world, it's 3rd party support that will make or break a system.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:03 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

3D games on the PlayStation are the ugliest games ever made in the history of gaming.  I know more than one person who has no trouble playing older 2D games but can't play 32-bit 3D games because of how poorly the graphics serve the gameplay. 

I've read a lot of folks commenting about how the 3D style games for the Playstation did not age as well as their 2D counterparts on the NES Classic, or SNES Classic. I do remember really disliking the Playstation because of its ugly 3D graphics at the end of its lifespan.  Systems like the Dreamcast appeared with beautiful anti-aliasing and richer textures; however, today I see things from a different perspective--the Playstation is the 8-bit of 3D.  Today, the ugliness of the pixelated edges, and relatively simple texturing of Playstation games is part of its appeal.  HD televisions draw out these imperfections much better than CRTs, showing the naked beauty of Playstation titles.  Try playing Virtual Pool on an HD television, and the idea of the Playstation as a 3D NES may be driven home for you too.

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

i think this discussion really goes to show how deep the PSX library was.

I like this comment, it seems true to me.  The problem with this PS Classic, is that it doesn't seem to capture that fact very well. For almost every entry in the game line-up, the PS had a superior counterpart that could have been subbed in with what seems like no greater licensing/copyright hassles. Other games, just weren't that great.  Take GTA. A console game built around criminal activity was an interesting concept at the time, but it really didn't come together until GTA3.  If the whole thing never went 3D on the PS2, nobody would care about GTA today. GTA is not a classic, GTA3 is. It's only in hindsight that GTA1 seems like it might have been a big deal.

When I was about 14, I was mulling over a big choice.  Should I get a Sega Saturn or a Sony Playstation?  I loved RPGs, and the availability of RPG's that suited my fancy were going to be the deciding factor.  I chose the Playstation because of screenshots and stories from Game Players, EGM, and others that suggested Arc the Lad was coming to US shores shortly after launch. Suffice it to say Arc the Lad was not released on the Playstation until the end of the consoles lifespan as a trilogy pack.  I never did play the Arc games because of the extreme delay in its porting.  But, once again, the Japanese PS Classic gets the Arc games, and the USA does not.  To me, these classic systems are not even about "nostalgia." I don't play classic games for a warm, fuzzy, vague feeling that I loved them 25 years ago.  I play classic games, because I like those aging styles of game design. Supplying US gamers with some Arc games would have pleased me and kept me busy with something that would have felt new. A missed opportunity for Sony I guess. 

Instead of something new, we get only FF7 and its Sony Interactive imitation Wild Arms. Final Fantasy 7 hasn't ever really stopped being talked about, and for me, it was a bit of a disappointment at the time.  FF6 was awesome.  FF7, however, didn't make sense--the primary plot points were inane and seemed cobbled together.  I guess Square spent its budget on the out of place FMV sequences, and couldn't afford to clean up the script.  Oh well.  Wild Arms battles looked suspiciously like the screenshot teasers magazines printed of FF6 battles being experimented with for the Next Gen Nintendo hardware at that time (then the Ultra 64).  Wild Arms was an ok game...back then.  Today the Wild Arms battle Engine is slow, and boring.  Sony must be doing things the way the soft sciences do these days--all by the numbers, with little original thinking or nuance in understanding.  Sometimes numbers are just numbers Sony, and you have to get your hands dirty (maybe hiring some people to sort out whats playable today?) to see what the numbers really mean, if anything at all.  The fact that it sold a bazillion copies 20 years ago, doesn't mean its still in demand today.

Oh, and sorry I took that stab at science.  Its all those soft sciences that drive me nuts.  Specifically, a story I read not too long ago that suggests there is no top limit to human longevity.  That conclusion was reached based on the observation that the chances that a person will die increase every year that he lives, until the age of 105 or so, where the the chances of dying thereafter remain steady, say, 50/50 each year. Some people were getting excited thinking that if our odds of dying stop increasing, then maybe theres no certainty of death.  Absurd, numbers reasoning, applied in non-number scenarios...We are all going to die, and the PS Classic is going to suck, no matter what the numbers might today suggest. Just my opinion.

Famitsu just released a special issue devoted to hyping the PlayStation Classic, and it has a section that reprints all of their original reviews for the games included (in the Japanese version, of course).

So here are the games from best to worst in order of their aggregate scores, according to the editors of Weekly Famitsu (all scores out of a max of 40):

1. Tekken 3 - 39
  2. Final Fantasy VII - 38
  3. Metal Gear Solid - 37
  4. Ridge Racer 4 - 35
  5. Jumping Flash - 34
  6. Parasite Eve - 33
  7. Resident Evil: Director's Cut - 33
  8. Megami Ibunroku Persona - 32
  9. Mr. Driller - 32
  10. Arc the Lad - 31
  11. SaGa Frontier - 31
  12. Wild Arms - 31
  13. Battle Arena Toshinden - 30
  14. Devil Dice - 30
  15. Arc the Lad II - 29
  16. G Darius - 29
  17. Gradius Gaiden - 29
  18. Armored Core - 28
  19. I.Q. - 23
  20. Super Puzzle Fighter II - 21

So what do you think?  Is Tekken 3 the best game of them all?  I don't think so, but then, I don't care much for the fighting genre.  I'd definitely take MGS over FFVII any day, but it's only a one point difference, so nothing to quibble over.  And while I'll admit that I've never played Super Puzzle Fighter II, I clearly remember it getting glowing reviews in the American press.  I wonder why they didn't like it in Japan?

5 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

So what do you think?  Is Tekken 3 the best game of them all?  I don't think so, but then, I don't care much for the fighting genre.

For years after the game craze that was Street Fighter II, it seemed the fighting game genre was a bit overplayed by the industry.  Street Fighter II was a good one time rental, and probably worth a purchase if you had frequent company willing to play Vs. mode.  But it seems to me, no matter what's done with games of the fighting genre, after a little while, they all feel like Karate Champ. Of all the fighting series', Tekken pulled off the gimmick best.  Tekken was fast, graphically enticing, and there was potential for relatively long, varied and interesting fights.  Needless to say, Tekken III was the best one on the Playstation.  Alas, Tekken III is also the one I played the least. By III's release date, I had lost interest in buying more Playstation games. When I played it, I liked it, but I did't run out and buy it, therefore, I'd say it is undeserving of the Famitsu's highest rating.  In fact, Tekken 3 seems to be the most wildly mis-rated game on this list you've provided.

I never understood the whole Super Puzzle Fighter thing too well.  I'm not big on puzzle games that drop blocks or colors as the player works to clear the screen. I did have one friend that played SPF frequently.  He was an artist, and I think the appeal of the game for him must have been its artistry, and since he was also rather social, the games relative simplicity allowed him to divide his attention between the game and whatever everybody else was doing.

Generally speaking, the Famitsu's ratings seem pretty well in order.  There are a few games I'm rather unfamiliar with listed above, but the ones I know (about 80% of them) I'd have rated similarly.

5 hours ago, E-Day said:

I think it's irrelevant considering the issues that have been pointed out between the emulator but working well to several games being the PAL version. So a lot of games game don't play the same anymore. They should rereview the games to be accurate. 

To be clear, my post had nothing to do with the North American release of the PlayStation Classic.  The review scores I posted are for the original games as released in Japan years ago.

My own opinion is that the PlayStation/NES/SNES Classic systems are all cute little collectible pieces of junk.  Anyone wanting to play the games is better off playing them on a real system (if they want 100% accuracy) or on a downloadable emulator (if they want convenience.)  I'm sure the system will be reviewed fairly in the regular weekly issue of Famitsu (and likely eviscerated if the Japanese system suffers from problems similar to the NA release.)  That's neither here nor there, though, since I never had any intention of owning this or any other emulator-in-a-box, so my post wasn't meant to suggest that I was concerned with how the games performed on the PS Classic.

When I asked if the scores seemed fair, I was simply talking about the exact same thing the reviews were talking about - the original games, as released for the PSX.

4 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

My own opinion is that the PlayStation/NES/SNES Classic systems are all cute little collectible pieces of junk.  Anyone wanting to play the games is better off playing them on a real system (if they want 100% accuracy) or on a downloadable emulator (if they want convenience.)

I am somewhat inclined to agree, but I think there are several advantages to these "emulators" in a box that make them good purchases for some people.  Firstly, they are HD ready, and there is no configuration, technical aptitude, or patience required to play them.  My non-gamer sister enjoys her NES Classic and wanted one explicitly to play Dr. Mario.  The Nintendo products so far released have done and excellent job of including quite a few premium games from the past that cover a rather fair range of mainstream tastes.  So if you are interested in some historical gaming, but don't care to research, these things have a fair amount to offer.  I would say the emulation on the Nintendo releases is quite good, and it would take a deep compulsive perfectionism to find much fault in them as plug n play games. Sure, the SNES doesn't emulate every SNES/SFC release perfectly, but then again, that wasn't really the intended use of the product either.

I personally purchased the Classics because I hadn't owned a computer in a while (just got a replacement a month ago, after two years without a PC), I don't do modern games, and I wanted something convenient to play on my TV.  The NES and SNES Classic performed that purpose wonderfully.  Although, they are super light, and probably as you put it, "pieces of junk" I hope mine will stand the test of time, but I have my doubts.  I've read they have been failing on people already.  The original SNES hardware was a tank.  The controllers would stay in the machine so tight that I would often pull the cords with my legs when I'd walk by and knock my SNES on the floor with force.  The thing wouldn't freeze, reset, or become damaged in anyway.  I'd say they don't make'em like they use to, but it is just the SNES.  Similar anecdotal stories could not be shared of the NES or Genesis, at least not commonly.

The PS Classic seems like a rushed project with a lack luster game list (many in inferior PAL format). Reliance on an open-source emulator is also a bit uninspiring. I consider the PS to be as you say, a "cute little collectible" piece of junk.  I think the Famitsu reviews for the original games are somewhat accurate, but certainly not perfect. Take Persona.  A great game whose review probably suffered a little bit because of the genre it occupied--hardly fair. Tekken 3s review, probably also corrupted, but instead by the fact that it was released late in the systems life, complete with industry pressure to push sales on a game for a system people were losing interest in.  Just out of curiosity, do you have any way of finding out the Famitsu score for Dragon Warrior 7?  That was in the same genre as FF7, but was a far better product.  I'd imagine it did not score as well--was getting awfully close to the PS2 release, wasn't it?

I hear Sega plans on releasing a higher quality machine than the @games one currently available.  I think it would be a really cool feature to include a few Sega CD and 32x titles. I would get really excited if I heard about a Turbo Duo Classic, with some HuCard and Cd games included.  The Dynastic Hero, Exile and Castlevania Rondo of Blood would be sweet to play in a portable box.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why these things don't appeal to everybody.  I just thought I'd explain what I like and do not like about them, that's all.

"Pieces of junk" probably has harsher connotations than what I intended.  "Pieces of unnecessary clutter" is more in-line with my personal feelings.  As you point out, there is some value for certain people in a set-top box that can connect to modern TVs and play games with no hassle.  But I don't own a TV, and I've had plenty of experience using emulators on my PC, so the only reason I would ever have to buy these mini systems would be to have a cute collectible, which is the entire reason they made them small and not full-size reproductions.  The "tiny" aesthetic is much of their appeal.  But although I used to amass large collections of all sorts of stuff in the past, at this point in my life, I've come to recognize such collections of physical things as clutter that I don't need in my life - not when a digital version will do just as well.  So a tiny NES looks cool, but it would ultimately end up sitting on a shelf in my closet, so exactly what reason would I have to own it?

Again, just my personal opinions, and not a condemnation of the product itself (although the PS Classic seems to be earning some fair criticisms on its own).

6 hours ago, consumer said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have any way of finding out the Famitsu score for Dragon Warrior 7?  That was in the same genre as FF7, but was a far better product.  I'd imagine it did not score as well--was getting awfully close to the PS2 release, wasn't it?

DQVII got a 38 out of 40 - same as FFVII.  Although the DQ series in general is far more beloved and successful than FF in Japan.

Here's a breakdown of the DQ series (although DQ1 is reviewed in the first issue of Famitsu, they hadn't yet implemented the 4-person review crew scoring system at that time):

Dragon Quest II 38/40

Dragon Quest III 38/40

Dragon Quest IV 38/40

Dragon Quest V 36/40

Dragon Quest VI 34/40

Dragon Quest VII 38/40

Dragon Quest VIII 39/40

Dragon Quest IX 40/40 

Dragon Quest X 36/40 (*this is an MMORPG, so a bit harder to compare) 

Dragon Quest XI 40/40

I'd list the Final Fantasy scores, but holy shit there are too many Final Fantasy-related games.  You can look at the scores here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu

• Thanks 1

• Retromags Curator
22 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

To be clear, my post had nothing to do with the North American release of the PlayStation Classic.  The review scores I posted are for the original games as released in Japan years ago.

When I asked if the scores seemed fair, I was simply talking about the exact same thing the reviews were talking about - the original games, as released for the PSX.

I know they weren't. But because of how they included the games for it (NTSC and PAL), and not including a power brick, it seemed like they made one version that they can ship to every part of the world, and thus the problem with the North American version will be the same on the version sold in Japan.

Out of the list of the included games, the only one I ever played was Final Fantasy VII. It was good, and I would say the 38 is fair. I would also say that VIII should therefore get a 39 and IX should get a 40 :)

1 hour ago, E-Day said:

I know they weren't. But because of how they included the games for it (NTSC and PAL), and not including a power brick, it seemed like they made one version that they can ship to every part of the world, and thus the problem with the North American version will be the same on the version sold in Japan

Well, it's probable that the hardware is the same or similar, but I can promise you that no PAL versions games are on the Japanese release, unless of course PAL versions of games are in Japanese? 😉

• Retromags Curator

So Japan probably got their own version, which makes sense since there are a lot of inherently Japanese games that never get released outside of the country.

But that still won't fix the emulator issues that people have been complaining about.

I was at my local big box store, and they had a cabinet full of the PlayStation Classic. Full, as in maybe they sold one or two. A far cray from trying to get the SNES Classic or NES Classic the last two Christmases.

2 minutes ago, E-Day said:

I was at my local big box store, and they had a cabinet full of the PlayStation Classic. Full, as in maybe they sold one or two. A far cray from trying to get the SNES Classic or NES Classic the last two Christmases.

I wouldn't chalk ALL of that up to the negative hype, though.  For one, the PS Classic is more expensive.  But more importantly, the Nintendo systems were famously released in very limited supply.  I'm not sure how many units Sony shipped, but I don't recall hearing any pre-release buzz about how the supply would be limited, like what we had with the minis.

Nintendo knows what they're doing when they limit the release of a new system so that demand is greater than supply.  Consumers are easily manipulated psychologically by the need to buy things they think are rare.  Even if you wanted an NES mini, if you saw a stockroom full of them and heard reports that they were easily found everywhere, you'd have no pressing urge to buy it right that minute, and you might decide to put it off until a later time.  A later that for some people might never come if they lost interest.  But when you hear of something being in short supply and selling out everywhere, you're definitely going to buy it the second you see it and consider yourself lucky for having done so.

The PS Classic has earned its negative reception, but even if it didn't suffer from technical problems and the reviews had been positive, its likely that seeing that stockroom completely full off PS Classics might lead you to believe that it was less successful than the Nintendo Minis, when in fact it could just be that Sony shipped a ton more systems.

• Like 1