B1astPr0cessing

Playstation Classic

Sony finally released the full lineup.  Any thoughts?  Some obvious classics like FF7, RE1 and MGS but seems the Japanese lineup edges it out a little if you were a fan of the old Squaresoft games.  Hopefully the system gets cracked open like the NES/SNES did and we can add our own Parasite Eve, Saga Frontier and whatever else we want.

The list is alright, but I was hoping for:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Suikoden 2
Worms Armageddon

It might just be me that feels this way, but I think old 2D games age better than the first generation 3D games. I much prefer remasters for this era than straight ports.

8 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

It might just be me that feels this way, but I think old 2D games age better than the first generation 3D games. I much prefer remasters for this era than straight ports.

THIS.

3D games on the PlayStation are the ugliest games ever made in the history of gaming.  I know more than one person who has no trouble playing older 2D games but can't play 32-bit 3D games because of how poorly the graphics serve the gameplay.

Anyway, since it wasn't included in the OP for some reason, here's the list of NA/Europe games (regional exclusives are in bold):

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

And here's what they're getting in Japan

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Devil Dice (aka XI [sai])
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • G Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Persona
  • Resident Evil
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier
  • Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
  • Tekken 3
  • Wild Arms

Personally, I think both lists are pretty poor.  Metal Gear Solid, RE1, and FF7 are the only must-have games on the lists (and I don't even like FF7).  The rest run the gamut from mediocre to good, but it certainly doesn't come anywhere near making me think "WOW!  The PlayStation was just overflowing with all-time classic games!!!" 

At least Japan doesn't get anything to get jealous over much, unless you like the two shooters, I guess.  Parasite Eve is only a "good" game, not a classic (sorry, Areala), and Saga Frontier was poorly received in America as I recall (never played it, myself). 

These lists seem like a "Best of PlayStation, Volume One" kind of list, where they're holding back a bunch of the best games to spread them out for inclusion in volume 2, 3, 4....

So here's my personal PS1 list, in no particular order.  There are lots of great games missing, I'm sure, but certain genres don't appeal to me, and certain games I've never played, so...it is what it is - a personal list:

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Vandal Hearts
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Grandia
  • Parappa the Rapper
  • Final Fantasy VII (yes, I said I don't particularly like it, but I can't deny it deserves a spot)
  • Medal of Honor
  • Medal of Honor Underground
  • Ape Escape
  • Klonoa
  • Tomba!
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon
  • Tactics Ogre
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (OK, I only ever played the Dreamcast version, but it was tons of fun and way before the series beat itself to death)
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
  • Colony Wars
  • Silent Hill
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

I wanted to add Wing Commander III because I loved the hell out of that game at a time when my PC couldn't handle it, but I have to admit that it's crap compared to the PC version (even if it does have some exclusive content).

7 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

3D games on the PlayStation are the ugliest games ever made in the history of gaming. 

Yeah during the Nintendo 64/PlayStation through GameCube/PS2 era I entirely switched to PC gaming because those early 3D console games were such a mess I would get a headache from playing them. I remember Turok Dinosaur hunter on N64 I wanted to vomit after playing the first couple of levels. I couldn't get into Golden Eye either.

I guess I was spoiled playing Quake on those early OpenGL 3D cards.

4 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Yeah during the Nintendo 64/PlayStation through GameCube/PS2 era I entirely switched to PC gaming because those early 3D console games were such a mess I would get a headache from playing them. I remember Turok Dinosaur hunter on N64 I wanted to vomit after playing the first couple of levels. I couldn't get into Golden Eye either.

I guess I was spoiled playing Quake on those early OpenGL 3D cards.

Yep, you sound exactly like those friends I mentioned.  Personally, I've never been one to care much about graphics, so I have no problems playing console games from the eras you mentioned (in fact, I've never actually played a console game newer than the Gamecube/PS2/XBox era).

But I still think a lot of PS1 games have their gameplay hampered by the hardware's inability to adequately render 3D. 

I wouldn't ever claim to have been spoiled by Quake, though.  Maybe I would feel differently if I weren't strictly a single-player gamer, but I thought Quake was one of the most boring FPS I've ever played, and the visuals were sort of famously drab, so I'm not alone in disliking its appearance, either.  Still, at least the hardware running it was up to the task of doing so, so I can't fault it for overextending itself like so many console titles back then.