Are there any 'holy grails' of half-remembered magazines you're looking for?

lalalei2001

The first gaming magazine I ever owned IIRC had the Tasmanian Devil on the front (but it wasn't the GamePro one).  What I do remember distinctly was that it had a section on Contra 3.  I want to say it was an early Game Players, maybe.

My other holy grail is the June 1992 SWATPro, with the section on SFII with fake moves.  I took it to school one day in 2nd grade and lost it forever. 😪

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator
On 3/16/2019 at 10:42 PM, DanFoBro said:

My other holy grail is the June 1992 SWATPro, with the section on SFII with fake moves.  I took it to school one day in 2nd grade and lost it forever. 😪

I have that one in a pile to get scanned manually at some point.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:31 AM, nononanon said:

GameNOW deserves to be preserved!

Truth be told, I only remember it from my childhood so it really might not be great.

Yeeeeeees I really liked gamenow, like how they had sushi x sprites all over the mag.

I've been looking for a magazine from probably 1993-1994 that had a big feature on Way of the Warrior, the garbage Mortal Kombat clone Naughty Dog made for the 3DO back in the day. There was a character guide with big shots of the portrait sprites and bios for each character, including what actors portrayed them (I remember Jason Rubin, former president of Naughty Dog played Konotori, the ninja character). I must have read that feature 1000 times as a kid, but all other memory of what magazine it came from has completely left my head. The search continues!

• 8 months later...

Any issues of Silicon Magazine. It was a small, free magazine distributed at places like FuncoLand and Game Exchange in the late 90s/early 00s. It was really high quality for what it was. There are a few scans of the magazine floating around the Internet but I suspect many issues of Silicon Magazine are lost media since I doubt very many people kept a 15-20 page free magazine around for 20ish years.

This will seem like an odd question but have there ever been any game magazines aimed at the games industry?  Like a trade magazine, where the intended audience is developers/publishers and not players/consumers.  Does Edge/Next Generation count?  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mvangord said:

This will seem like an odd question but have there ever been any game magazines aimed at the games industry?  Like a trade magazine, where the intended audience is developers/publishers and not players/consumers.  Does Edge/Next Generation count?  

Game Developer magazine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Developer_(magazine)

• 3 months later...
  • Retromags Curator
On 8/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, Pyccko said:

I've been looking for a magazine from probably 1993-1994 that had a big feature on Way of the Warrior, the garbage Mortal Kombat clone Naughty Dog made for the 3DO back in the day. There was a character guide with big shots of the portrait sprites and bios for each character, including what actors portrayed them (I remember Jason Rubin, former president of Naughty Dog played Konotori, the ninja character). I must have read that feature 1000 times as a kid, but all other memory of what magazine it came from has completely left my head. The search continues!

I am way, WAY late to the party on this, but I guarantee this was issue 4 of the US "Tips & Tricks" magazine:

https://www.retromags.com/magazines/usa/tips-and-tricks/tips-tricks-issue-4/

That write-up made me want a 3DO (and that game) so badly. The same issue contained a massive strategy guide for the Jaguar-exclusive "Alien vs. Predator" which made me want that system too. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• 4 months later...

I have 2, I am very interested if anyone has a cope of either that they are willing to part with.

After literal years of searching I found the cover of one of them... which is how I discovered this amazing site.
This is literally the only thing about this magazine that I have found online.

Ultimate Solutions issue 11

The other is this pocket gamer magazine.

1493034716213.jpg

12 hours ago, Vox said:

The other is this pocket gamer magazine.

Well you're in luck. I just sent Pocket Gamer #1 To @MigJmz. So based on his schedule, we'll see that before long. However if you're the same person that mentioned this before, I think you're looking for issue #2, which I didn't have. I saw one on ebay last year, but I was unemployed at the time and could not justify trying to bid on it. I still have a saved ebay search.

Pocket Games_1.jpg

• Like 1

I have issue 2.  It's in my basement somewhere and it's in terrible condition with a ton of tears plus I don't think I got the attatched Pokemon code book but if I ever dig up my old crates I'll try to pry it out of the overstuffed magazine holder I shoved all my old game mags into.

• Like 1