supershinobi

Computer & Video Games Complete Guide to Consoles Volume Two

I didn't realise this would be a forum post - I would like to add that this was a magazine I had and loved back in 1990, and was thrown out at some stage. I've been searching for it over the past years but no success so far :)

Having never seen it, I nevertheless assume it is similar to the Game Player's Encyclopedia series of magazines/books which were comprised almost entirely of reprints of material from their parent mags.  In other words, I'm assuming this is a collection of material that first appeared in CVG (and Mean Machines.)

Hi kitsunebi77!

Having never seen it, I nevertheless assume it is similar to the Game Player's Encyclopedia series of magazines/books which were comprised almost entirely of reprints of material from their parent mags.  In other words, I'm assuming this is a collection of material that first appeared in CVG (and Mean Machines.)

That's a reasonable assumption - but in fact these 4 magazines were unique. They were the first multi-format publication dedicated to consoles available in the UK. They were very successful and due to this C&VG used the same format to publish the new magazine Mean Machines.

You can read about it here :) https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-04-the-story-of-mean-machines-magazine

I did see that vol 1 and 4 are available - I only had volume 2 (which I read until it fell apart!) so this is the one I'm searching for

15 minutes ago, supershinobi said:

Hi kitsunebi77!

That's a reasonable assumption - but in fact these 4 magazines were unique. They were the first multi-format publication dedicated to consoles available in the UK. They were very successful and due to this C&VG used the same format to publish the new magazine Mean Machines.

You can read about it here :) https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-04-the-story-of-mean-machines-magazine

I did see that vol 1 and 4 are available - I only had volume 2 (which I read until it fell apart!) so this is the one I'm searching for

Yeah, now that I take a look inside one of them, I can see that the reviews are much shorter than the ones in CVG.  So it's more of a "buyer's guide" format magazine full of lots of short reviews.  Serves me right for guessing - my knowledge of UK console mags is slim to none. 😅