Missing magazine: Electric Brain

gingerbeardman

This was initially hand-made but eventually it became quite popular and had a proper print run with ISSN codes, published by Space City Publishing (London), and widely distributed in game stores and newsagents around the UK. It still had the fanzine aesthetic, similar to Japanese magazines of the time like Famitsu, Gamest, Beep etc, as it was printed on newspaper style paper rather than high grade paper like EDGE might have been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Brain

I have three issues—33, 34 and 35—previously scanned on a cheap flatbed and uploaded to archive.org

Since then I bought a Fujitsu fi-4530C and took out the staples to scan the issue again, and the results are infinitely better:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ygacekc82akv0/Electric_Brain (3 x ~35MB cbz)

• How many issues of this magazine exist?
  • What are the dates of each issue?
    • April 1989 – June 1993
    • source: issue 33 page 3; other photos

I found this additional information:

• PC Engine Fanatics: 1 to 8
  • Console Ma'zine: 9 to 19
  • Electric Brain: 20 to 35

This is my first submission so please be gentle.

Cheers,
matt

Edited by gingerbeardman
more information
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 3:16 AM, gingerbeardman said:

It still had the fanzine aesthetic, similar to Japanese magazines of the time like Famitsu, Gamest, Beep etc, as it was printed on newspaper style paper rather than high grade paper like EDGE might have been.

I'm confident in saying that Famitsu was a slick and professional magazine right from the start, being a continuation of a column that appeared in Login, which at the time was Japan's most successful (computer) gaming magazine.  And I don't own any issues of Beep, but seeing as how it was published by Softbank, the 6th largest telephone company in the world (worth 75 billion USD now), I find it unlikely that it ever gave off a "fanzine aesthetic," either.

I'll grant you that Gamest's early issues are probably fairly fanzine-ish.  Very hardcore-gamer oriented and a not-very-flashy-looking design with lots of black and white pages lacking pictures.

• Like 1

Yea, wrong phrasing by me really. What I mean is that those magazines listed featured a more irreverent, haphazard graphic style and less regular page layouts. Maybe it's quintessentially Japanese, which is why Electric Brain "copied" that kind of layout?

Edited by gingerbeardman

You might be right that Japanese video game magazine design influenced Western video game magazine design.  I'm not an expert in UK mags from the 80s (the UK was a fairly distinctly separate gaming industry from Japan/USA at that point), but so far as American mags go, I certainly remember reading that Nintendo Power was created under the directive of copying the aesthetic of Famitsu, and magazines such as EGM copied their review system.  But one reason for that is simply because those Japanese mags you mentioned predated modern (post-crash) American video game mags by a number of years.  By the time a magazine like Culture Brain came along, pretty much every video game magazine in existence had a similarly irreverent (I would say, aimed-at-a-young-audience) graphic style, so any influence from Japanese design could be strictly second-hand.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, gingerbeardman said:

Managed to get a feature on Nintendo Life about Electric Brain, which should hopefully be seen as a reliable source. 

Ah, so that's why you wanted a scan of Famitsu 162.  Electric Brain copied that interview from there.  Of course, they truncated it quite a bit, as well.  The Famitsu interview goes on for 5 pages.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...