Japanese Magazines Scan Project

JhonnyD

So it begins, I gave my first shot at scanning something. I opted for 600 dpi because why not :). Jpgs shouldn't be compressed.
Let me have your impressions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1slyRLhCIBSCxvdxac3SW48Phkjk_JhEC

I'm using the scansnap utility and it looks like it generates pdf and then extract the pages as single images. Is there any option to make it output jpgs natively?

Later I'll upload it to archive.org and from there anyone would be allowed to edit/reupload it as they please

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I created a tumblr and a twitter account connected

https://japanesemagazinesscansproject.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/JapaneseMagScan

Also set up a patreon page in case someone wants to donate https://www.patreon.com/japanese_magazines_scans_project

So far I've not yet started to spread the word, once I have a few scan uploaded I'll post on a couple more forum, this thread will serve as an headquarter/discussion place with fellow scanners

• Like 1

I'd remove the marktrade quote from your Patreon, if I were you.  Pretty much everyone in the world except marktrade disagrees with that statement.  Scanning magazines is a viloation of copyright.  End of story.  We can argue that no one is hurt by it, which I believe its true (so long as we're talking about older magazines that aren't available to be purchased digitally), but the fact that they are illegal is not in question, no matter what marktrade said.

10 hours ago, JhonnyD said:

Also, can anyone confirm that the iX500 saves natively only pdf files and then converts them to jpg?

No, it doesn't.  You select whether you want jpg or pdf.

Impressions about the scan? I would like to here more comments before scanning other issues, meanwhile I’ll try to prepare a Neo Geo Freak

Your google drive account wants me to ask permission to access it - no thanks.  I'll just wait till its up at archive and I can flip through their preview without having to download it.

Thanks, will do, however I set up the patreon just for fun, don’t expect to make anything out of it.

Yeah, I expect most people would be leery of pledging money to someone with only a single scan under their belt.  Maybe once you've scanned a few dozen mags and developed a reputation for quality people would be more receptive if it looks like you'll be able to continue releasing stuff on a regular basis.  (Before quitting his Patreon and dropping out of the scene, marktrade was releasing stuff on a near-daily basis.  Which is probably why he burned out.😅)

Great news! Best of luck. Really exciting.

You may want to hook up with Shmupulations who may be interested in translating some of your scans.

I can't access the Google Drive, but Tumblr scans look like a good start.

A query about resizing artefacts from either your workflow or Tumblr: the dots on the dotted lines seem uneven sizes and spacing, and the back/forward arrows I would expect to be smoother? I say this without seeing the magazine, though.

I find VueScan to TIF gives better results than ScanSnap to JPG/PDF. It's also recommended to work on TIFs, definitely for archiving, and only convert them to JPG before zipping and uploading.

You may also look to optimise your images before you upload. I use JPEGmini to get ~40% saving in filesize. More on that in my WIP thread.

As @kitsunebi77 says, I agree that you'll have more luck with Patreon once people see a body of work rather than these first scans. That will show you are committed and going to stay the distance. Even more so if some good new information comes out of translations of your scans.

Below are fixes to spelling and grammar of your Patreon intro. I think it would benefit from a proper rewrite as you get serious.

Keep on going! Looking forward to your first full issue share on RetroMags!

Videogame magazines are a relic of the past, often thrown away or left forgotten in some dusty attic. Because of this and their fragile nature they're destined to be lost to time.

Over the years I ended up gathering a massive collection of Japanese magazines and guidebooks, including full runs of now extremely rare and expensive magazines like Gamest, Arcadia and Neo Geo Freak.

Now my goal is to digitally preserve my collection and donate it to the world through digital content curators like the Internet Archive and anyone that decides to host it.

Why do I need your support?

First, the equipment. I have already spent good money in order to acquire a top-of-the-line scanner, and will need more money to buy storage space and image editing software. Giving the titanic effort I'm diving into more money will be spent on scanner servicing and consumable parts.

Second, in order to get the best possible scan quality the magazines must undergo a destructive process, meaning that they will lose any collectible or monetary value. As the magazines get more expensive as each day passes, this project will end with a significant financial loss for me. Some issues in my collection sell for up to 400$.

Third, this is a really time consuming activity. Just the preparation of a magazine for scanning can take up to an hour. Then there is the scanning at 600dpi and after that an hour long upload time. Seeing your support and appreciation will give me the strength to keep pushing forward.

Fourth, this at the moment is just an option, but if enough money is raised I'll be able to buy more material to be scanned.

Edited by gingerbeardman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JhonnyD said:

edit: I'm an advanced member, wow!

Yep, 25 posts.

You might want to add a rl page progression custom field to your archive.org uploads of Gamest and any other right-to-left Japanese magazines so that it displays them correctly, rather than in reverse page order as it is currently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Yep, 25 posts.

You might want to add a rl page progression custom field to your archive.org uploads of Gamest and any other right-to-left Japanese magazines so that it displays them correctly, rather than in reverse page order as it is currently.

I would like to do that, can you be more specific? I know how to add a custom field but I'm not sure sure how to do that

7 hours ago, gingerbeardman said:

Cool!

Are you going to submit it here?

At the moment not, I would like to get out stuff as much as I can, if someone else wants to do that it's no problem

6 minutes ago, JhonnyD said:

I also haven't found a way to change the thumbnail to the front cover

https://help.archive.org/hc/en-us/articles/360016638171-Books-and-Texts-Tips-Troubleshooting-

You'll probably have to do this for every single thing you upload there.  Their software NEVER picks the first page as the cover.