Japanese Magazines Scan Project

JhonnyD

1 hour ago, gingerbeardman said:

...but what if person A uploads the first half of a magazine and person B uploads the second half?

Half a magazine would still be illegal.  I'm pretty sure that graphic is saying that over half of an article would be illegal, not half of the entire magazine.

But you're right to hold off speculating until actual decent reporting covers this.  Most of the English-language newspapers are reporting that "a few panels" of a comic will be considered acceptable, or a single screenshot of a copyrighted image, but not more - which is better than "everything is illegal" but is still a far far cry from "half."

I'm tired of having limited amount of control on my uploads on archive.org and their bullshit support, was thinking to switch onto mega. Anyone willing to talk me out of this idea?

The scans will be still freely shareable, I'll leave to someone else the task of curating an archive collection

3 hours ago, JhonnyD said:

I'm tired of having limited amount of control on my uploads on archive.org and their bullshit support, was thinking to switch onto mega. Anyone willing to talk me out of this idea?

The scans will be still freely shareable, I'll leave to someone else the task of curating an archive collection

What about having Retromags host the curated files? You could upload a completed scan to Mega and a team member can add it to the site.

Mega is fine for storing files, but part of the goal is to make these items easily discoverable, which Mega is not meant for.

If you are scanning the mags yourself then hosting them here on Retromags seems the logical way to go. If you are talking about 3rd party scans then it's a total no-go due to the rules of the site.

Archive.org are a bunch of thieves sitting under a "library" banner to protect themselves from copyright and not even making any effort to ensure the content they pirate is at the very least readable. Their total lack of quality control makes them a joke!! The best quality gaming magazine content comes from ..... you guessed it .... Retromags, OoPA and OGM who they've been freely ripping off for years.

So good on you if you do decide to ditch them!!

1 minute ago, KiwiArcader said:

Archive.org are a bunch of thieves sitting under a "library" banner to protect themselves from copyright and not even making any effort to ensure the content they pirate is at the very least readable. Their total lack of quality control makes them a joke!! The best quality gaming magazine content comes from ..... you guessed it .... Retromags, OOPA and OGM who they've been freely ripping off for years.

What irks me the most about the thievery at archive.org isn't the thieves themselves, since the Internet is FULL of those and none of us here are sticklers for copyright law either, so we can't get too uppity about it.

No, what bothers me is that those guys get paid a salary to rip off my work and the work of others.  As Kiwi can tell you, those of us who actually contribute anything to this hobby do so at our own expense.  Some of us 100% at our own expense, but even if you take donations, it never covers the total costs, so you're still paying out of pocket.  But then some thief at archive.org comes along, ripping off my stuff and being paid a higher salary to do so than I probably make at my day job.  THAT'S what's criminal.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Which companies are paying for that?

Dunno.  Grants and donations.  You can see what they're all earning at glassdoor.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Internet-Archive-Salaries-E267448.htm

EDIT: from Wikipedia: The Archive is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit operating in the United States. It has an annual budget of $10 million, derived from a variety of sources: revenue from its Web crawling services, various partnerships, grants, donations, and the Kahle-Austin Foundation.

Hey @Phillyman we need to steal more shit and maybe we can get a $10 million budget, too!

They do provide a lot of valuable services, of course, and their scope is huge.  It would just be nice if some of those 150+ employees were being used to police and curate the site a little more carefully. (Granted, if they DID, then literally every single thing I've ever uploaded there would be taken down.  Not to mention 90% of the stuff I've ever downloaded from there.)

I'll be very happy to upload directly to retromags, only problem is that my scans are not edited and that is against the policy. Maybe we can create a new category for unedited mags that is accesible only to donors/members willing to help some way

Mega/cloud storage is not a really an option, like ethereal said it will be visible only here and to my followers basically

Edited by JhonnyD

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, JhonnyD said:

I'll be very happy to upload directly to retromags, only problem is that my scans are not edited and that is against the policy. Maybe we can create a new category for unedited mags that is accesible only to donors/members willing to help some way

Mega/cloud storage is not a really an option, like ethereal said it will be visible only here and to my followers basically

It sucks that there's no one who previously worked with Gamest to preserve their issues online. Look at Amusement Press for example; They've been releasing their physical issues for online reading. It would be cool to see a former Gamest editor contact you someday to host a dedicated website and get all of their issues online instead of dealing with "upload limit crap" from Internet Archive. I would also say Retrocdn.net but i don't know what's the general opinion about the website here...

15 minutes ago, AJIMS64 said:

I would also say Retrocdn.net but i don't know what's the general opinion about the website here...

There's no need to deliberately post anything there.  If they're interested in something, they'll swipe it and upload it within hours of its original upload, just like they've always done.  Like vultures, those guys...

6 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

There's no need to deliberately post anything there.  If they're interested in something, they'll swipe it and upload it within hours of its original upload, just like they've always done.  Like vultures, those guys...

Yep, they are the poor cousins of Archive.org in regards to game magazine thievery!!

Have you tried contacting info@archive.org with your issues/complaints? That's how I've received fixes for all the bugs I've encountered over the last year.

I mean, it's crazy they don't have a public facing support forum or bug tracker, but that's what we are dealing with here. The organisation is a great endeavour, but it's somewhat antiquated in its approach to many things in this day and age.

https://archive.org/about/contact.php

Edited by gingerbeardman

I'll keep scanning and uploading, at the moment I'm creating another account on archive where I'll reupload everything, mainly for a privacy issue I had with the former account.

I'm a little swamped with the scans right now as I'm having long work days and the time to devote to this is simply non existent. I've been an avid gamer since forever and I also don't have time to game AT ALL. I'll try to squeeze at least a few minutes a day dedicated to the scans in order to have a somewhat decent release schedule (hope to be around 2 issues per month)

I mean, it's the Internet Archive, which is probably some huge server farm with petabytes of hard drives. I've started uploading my scans there because it's pretty much guaranteed to be up 24/7. I haven't had any problems with them, but I don't think it's a good idea to limit where you upload your mags because that's like putting all your eggs in one basket. I'm thankful for them because up until now, I've been putting my scans on Nyaa torrents and another site. I don't mind if people reupload my scans, either, as long as credit is at least given. At the end of the day, we're here to share content, right? It's not like anyone here is making money off of it (hopefully).

• Like 1

But yeah, their process for uploading and managing stuff is antiquated and has annoyed me a few times. You can't even add items to collections unless you email them or upload it yourself to your own collection. I don't think you can message other users, either?

I had that thought as soon as I posted and it doesn't seem like I can edit my post, so here's a doublepost for you.

15 minutes ago, Habanero said:

It's not like anyone here is making money off of it (hopefully).

No one but the Internet Archive.  It's a "non-profit" company with a $10 million per year income. Last I checked, neither I nor anyone else at Retromags, Oldgamemags, or anywhere else producing new scans is being paid a salary to do so.  Yet everyone working for the Internet Archive is being paid, some of them for the specific purpose of uploading other peoples' efforts.  So that's why it pisses me off when they upload anything I personally scanned.  The only things I upload there have no identifiable scanner.  They can't be uploaded here due to our rules, but the Internet Archive essentially has no rules, making the easiest place to upload them since its the most high profile, completely unrestricted forum for hosting pirated material.

1 minute ago, Habanero said:

I wonder how much their server farm costs for their web archive + internet archive files. They probably go through a few thousand terabytes a month.

It could cost 10 zillion dollars and wouldn't change the fact that their employees are paid to upload other peoples' stuff without permission (and remember, in the case of things like magazine scans, without any legal right to do so.)

Just now, Habanero said:

Ah, yeah the "legal" part never concerned me. I've been scanning copyright material for years now for translation.

I've covered it either here or in another recent thread, but when a high profile site like the Internet Archive engages in piracy, it has the real effect of hurting smaller sites like this one.  We are so small as to escape most legal notice.  But a site like the Internet Archive can attract litigation from copyright holders, as has happened in the past, which then forces us to hide or remove files as well in order to protect ourselves.  So claiming that a site like that ignoring legality is harmless simply isn't true.

• 1 month later...

Hello, not posted here for a long time, scans are slowly proceeding, the new url is https://archive.org/details/@japanesemagazinesscans?sort=titleSorter

50th upload on sight! Meanwhile I acquired some italian magazine only to notice that they're slightly bigger than a4, so I'll need to get an a3 scanner but that's will be really far away in the future

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1