JhonnyD

Japanese Magazines Scan Project

9 hours ago, JhonnyD said:

Gamest 3 online, I've scanned a Famitsu issue, these contains some fold out pages that scanned through the scansnap iX500 result in some slightly cut sides. When put together I have some text missing and misaligned images. https://imgur.com/a/oe3cfET

I think that I'll need an A3 scanner when I'll decide to scan more Famitus issues

Thanks man, I never thought I would see some of these.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, JhonnyD said:

yep, I kinda knew about that link, I just want to point out that I have a full set of the regular issues, I don't have all the extra/special issues, so my uploads will have "holes" when it comes to the sequential numbering.

Do you have a list of specialty issues you don't have? The Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Parodius, special issues have already been scanned.

Thank you so much for the scans, it is good to see some japanese magazines. , I do not like specially Gamest, but it is wellcome. I want to thanks that you scan too another magazines.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

When scanning foldout pages which have been cut apart into separate pieces, autocrop should be turned off.  The Scansnap's autocrop crops a very small portion of all 4 sides of the page.  It's nowhere near the savage butchery perpetrated on many of the magazines scanned for this site by guillotine cutter debinding (quality standards? what quality standards?), but when trying to join together scans of two fold out pages that have text running from one page to the next, you'll want every single pixel preserved.  So for those pages, turn off autocrop and set the scan size to the largest available (letter size should be fine).  That way, you'll be in control of cropping and will be able to more flawlessly reassemble the pages in editing.

I can find the option to modify document size but can't find the one to remove the autocrop, can you post more details

17 hours ago, JonnyCGood said:

Do you have a list of specialty issues you don't have? The Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Parodius, special issues have already been scanned.

I don't have most of them, same for the gamest mook series, I have a decent but not complete set. I'll scan everything I have first and that's will take forever. I would love to start gathering and scanning all the Famitsu and Famimaga issues but that's probably not gonna happen in this lifetime.

21 minutes ago, JhonnyD said:

I can find the option to modify document size but can't find the one to remove the autocrop, can you post more details

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  By default, ScanSnap paper size is set to "automatic detection."  This is actually autocrop.  By manually selecting a paper size, you are turning autocrop off.  If you select a size larger than the page you're scanning, it will ensure that you're scanning every part of the page.

22 minutes ago, JhonnyD said:

I would love to start gathering and scanning all the Famitsu and Famimaga issues but that's probably not gonna happen in this lifetime.

Unless my calculations are incorrect, if you scan two issues of Famitsu per week, you could be caught up in around 22 years.  And then you could die with a tombstone engraved with "He wasted his life.  What was he thinking???" 😋

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Unless my calculations are incorrect, if you scan two issues of Famitsu per week, you could be caught up in around 22 years.  And then you could die with a tombstone engraved with "He wasted his life.  What was he thinking???" 😋

That kind of reminds me of an ad for the SNES game Equinox:

equinox.jpg

Edited by Ethereal Dragonz

22 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  By default, ScanSnap paper size is set to "automatic detection."  This is actually autocrop.  By manually selecting a paper size, you are turning autocrop off.  If you select a size larger than the page you're scanning, it will ensure that you're scanning every part of the page.

Thanks, will try to look into it when I have time.

It looks like I'll have to scan 2 issues each day then :D