Missing Magazine: Pocket Gamer

mvangord

15 hours ago, mvangord said:

I already posted about this in the other thread but let's just make it official here.

pocket-gamer-magazine-2000-sealed_1_c110e7b6bc89d442781f17e4843bafea.jpg

Published by Imagine, based in the US, appears to be a bimonthly/quarterly, did not last long.  Completely separate from Pocket Games.

You should save an ebay alert for this if you haven't already. 

• 3 months later...

Issue #1 is on eBay!  Cover's pretty busted up but the rest is apparently salvageable.  This means my issue is apparently #2 and it was a bimonthly/quarterly, as well as an offshoot of "Hard Core Game Guides", whatever that was.

Edited by mvangord

• 7 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, kitsunebi said:

Very few videogame magazines are (since they were usually owned by children).  Hence why we spend so much time repairing them in Photoshop before releasing them.

You'd have to be some kind of Photoshop god to salvage the cover of my copy, it had huge chunks missing and everything.  I'd have a better shot tracking down the person who took the picture in this thread and taking their copy instead (I don't think mine was sealed since I didn't have the bonus code book thing).  The sad thing is I have a ton of magazines that were in relatively good quality but I shoved them into these crappy plastic longboxes that were so crammed to the point that they'd tear if I tried to take them out.  My local game store has a ton of old mags and if I ever buy anymore from them I'll do the right thing and keep them in the protective bag they come in.

Yeah, covers are always the worst.  But so long as the interior pages are all accounted for, I think any mag is worth scanning.  It's much easier to find someone with a second copy who'd be willing to throw their copy onto a flatbed scanner for a minute or two to scan the cover for us than it is to find someone willing to debind their mag and scan the interior pages, so even a coverless scan has a lot of value.

• 1 month later...

One thing I noticed about this magazine is they didn't specifically just cover video games, but rather handheld anything.  If it fit in your hand they'd cover it, I think they had a whole section on yo-yos in the issue I had (yo-yos being huge in the summer of 2000 for some reason).  Pretty sure they even covered early cellphones and pagers at one point.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...